What's new

Sony SA-WM500 modifications - help! (1 Viewer)

David<S>

Auditioning
Just purchased this sub, and based on the recommendations of poster's on this forum and others about modifying the SA-WM40 model, I tried to do the polyfill mod. The speaker on this sub is countersunk into the face and after undoing the eight screws there was no indication of outward movement of the speaker! Has anyone else modified this particular model? Could it be possible the speaker is glued as well?? Or is it just a tight fit??? My dreams were to purchase an SVS, HSU or even an DIY sub, but this cam up for $150 Cdn., thus couldn't pass it up! Otherwise, stalk it sounds good, maybe a bit "boomy"(which supposedly the fill will fix!), have to have the volume on the sub turned up 2/3 and the sub setting to +7 - 10, but what can one expect with 150 amps! Thanks for any advice!

John S

Senior HTF Member
Dang, I didn't try to mod the one I installed in any way.

I would assume on the boom elimination, your try'n to increase its music performance? It is a bit boomy for music, but that boomyness is almost desire-able for HT use, in my one experience with installing the same sub anyways.

I don't really have an answer to your question though.
I never though about plly-filling the one I suggested and just installed for somebody over last weekend. Seemed real good on HT, and that was where the owners emphasis was by far.

How do you like the sub for HT use? Unless your emphasis is more for music than HT, I would leave it stock.

PierreN

Auditioning
No, it's not glued ...You just need to gently lift up after unscrewing the 8 crews, the driver is a bit heavy that's why you have the feeling it's tight fit/glued...

For now, this is a nice budget sub for me also, I'm saving up for the SVS however. I've noticed the bass seems tighter (less boomy) after poly filled.

Good luck.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It probably IS glued, or at least has a gasket of some type. Neither would be permanent, so pulling it out shouldn't have any adverse affect.

Note also that your warranty is void once you pull that driver out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks