What's new

sony sa-wm40 (1 Viewer)

Thanks to all the people that posted to my previous subwoofer thread. I decided to get this sub back from my friend, and i'm wondering if i add a new driver would it give me a little more output. I'm not DIY cordinated so i don't want to add modge podge. So if you know of a good 8 ohm subwoofer driver that is under $120 dollars then it would be much appreciated. Thanks!

i found two sub drivers that might work one is a 8 0hm 12" rockford fosgate sub from crutchfield. The other is part number 295-120 from parts express which is a dayton model.
Obviously the dayton model looks better stat wise. So I'm wondering will this dayton sub work in the sony cabinet?

GrahamT

Supporting Actor
To get more output from the same amp and box you will need a more efficient driver. Putting the Dayton driver into a box tuned for the sony driver doesn't sound like a good idea to me. Either leave it alone, build a new box with the new driver or build a diy sub. Just my two cents.

i was asking because i've heard of people adding new drivers to it and getting better sound out of it. I just wanted an inexpensive solution to possibly get as much output out of it as possible. It is either spend 75-100 dollars or spend at least 300 to get a diy sub built. I thought 92db-93db was pretty efficient to begin with.

RichardH

Supporting Actor
Maybe just get another Sony sub used and stack them? 6 dB across the board and a little deeper to boot.

GrahamT

Supporting Actor
I dont doubt that you could get better sound out of it with the better driver but in terms of output, not likely. Upgrading the driver could give you less distortion though. Now that I have more info about your situation, I would suggest that you remove the port, seal the sub, fill it with stuffing, and use a better driver. This way you will get better bass, lower distortion and you only have to buy the driver. The sacrifice is output near the tuning frequency but you will probably gain more low end output with a HT sub driver in a sealed box.

Edit: I did what Richard proposed and it was a huge mistake for me. I had the sony sawm500 and wanted more output so I bought another and stacked them. There was a lot of output in the 30-50 Hz range but nothing much below. I found the bass to be unnatural and the weaknesses of the sub were magnified.

I'm kind of stupid when it comes to diy,how exactly would i seal the sub,i understand removing the port but im not sure how exactly to seal the sub.

GrahamT

Supporting Actor
You could cut a block of wood larger than the port opening and screw it onto the sub from the inside. THen seal around the block with silicon, goop etc.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
I'm kind of stupid when it comes to diy,how exactly would i seal the sub,i understand removing the port but im not sure how exactly to seal the sub.
Please pay a visit to the "DIY and Advanced Projects" of this forum. You will see a lot of people discussing the building of speaker and subwoofer cabinets. Plus, the posters usually provide links to pictures of their work. You can learn a lot from reading the posts - and looking at the pictures.

Aside from that, I would keep your Sony sub "as-is." Like Graham mentioned, if you are getting into a new driver, then consider a new cabinet and plate amp to power the setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks