Sony SA-WM40 with "JBL upgrade"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brett_H, Oct 29, 2002.

1. Brett_H

Brett_H Second Unit

All,
    I saw a FS ad for someone selling their Sony driver because they bought the sub with "the JBL upgrade". I tried finding out what that was by responding to the post but I didn't get an answer there.
    Anyone have any ideas what this means? I've got the Sony sub and I've already stuffed it with polyfill, just curious if there's other "mods" out there that can be done...
    Thanks,
    -Brett.

2. Justin Ward

Justin Ward Supporting Actor

This is my guess:
    I think he simply substituted a JBL woofer of some sort for the stock Sony woofer. I don't see why this wouldn't be possible(I've seen people asking about putting Shivas into the SA-WM40).
    If you want to upgrade your driver you might want to try do a search on threads with "Sony SA-WM40 and Shiva driver"or something to that effect.

Justin Ward

3. Brett_H

Brett_H Second Unit

Justin,

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking along those lines, but I couldn't find anything to back it up. With some more searching I did find a few threads where people mentioned installing a 1st gen SVS driver, but to do it they had to enlarge the cut-out and re-drill the holes. If I do anything, I'd like it to be easily reversible, so that pretty much rules out a driver swap...

Thanks,
    -Brett.