What's new

Sony SA-WM40 Subwoofer, Repair or Replace? (1 Viewer)

R/T Rick

Auditioning
Real Name
Rick
Hello, my name is Rick and I have a Sony SA-WM40 subwoofer that just died. It seems to be able to read a signal as it will turn-on on it's own when the reciever sends it a signal. The driver is good (I tested it) but it won't output sound. It's about 6 years old and does anyone know if this is a common problem with this sub? What is the problem and is it a cheap fix? If not, what's a compariable sub to it out now in terms of performance and price? (paid ~250 new out the door)

Thanks,
Rick

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Can you do $429?

SVSound - Box Subwoofers

This will make your Sony sound like a transistor radio
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Otherwise, look around for Polk or Dayton in your price range. Retire the Sony.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Hey, Rick! Welcome to the HTF!

I've also got an SA-WM40...so I have vested interest in hearing an informed answer as to what the problem might be and how expensive it would be to fix it.

My guess, based on the info you provided, is that it has something to do with the sub's amplifier. But...I'm sure a learned soul will be dropping by shortly to give a much more informed answer to your question than mine.

Personally, I would LOVE to be able to take David's suggestion...but that's out of my reach right now. But the SVS subs have one testimonial after another here at the HTF.

R/T Rick

Auditioning
Real Name
Rick
lol, guess I'm going to miss the old girl then. It's was my first sub.

Do I have to buy the SVS through them or can I go through a dealer or find a deal online somewhere else? I was looking at the Polk Audio PSW110.

R/T Rick

Auditioning
Real Name
Rick
Well I pulled it apart and the power supply seemed alright, but that leave two other boards that need diagnoses and I don't even know if I can get parts or how much it would cost.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

SVS is internet direct. The PSW110 looks like a decent deal, if you can't get an SVS. Also have a look at HSU (also internet direct).

Fennuci

Auditioning
Real Name
De Tomaso
Soundless in Michigan !

Hello,
Just signed into this site and was suprised to see that Rick and I have a common problem with the SA-WM40 subwoofer. I too have no sound. I would like to repair my sub rather than replace it. I have not used it for a few years since it first went out. I recall a rather large buzzing noise. Now I am no tech but I am sure it was not a good thing.
I recently brought it back out of storage and have re-introduced it to my HT. At one point it worked again (shortly) as I was moving the HT system and had to break it all down. The sub worked and I was thrilled, but, when I disconnected it (and re-connected) it would not come back on.
The power light comes on and there is an electrical click sound at the rear of the unit as I depress the button.
My HT amp shows power to the sub
My cable appears good as I tried it on another speaker
When it worked for the short time I unplugged the cable from the HT amp and touched the center pin of the sub cable and it would hum. (still plugged into the sub w/power on)
I turned the sub off and unplugged the cable to relocate the sub and I am again soundless.
I cannot find a tech for repairs.

Can anyone help?

Sam Jam

Auditioning
Real Name
sam_jam
Hello all! I see that the last post was over 2 years ago, But I was doing a serch for info regarding my sony powered sub and came across this link, I too have the same sub and experienced the same problems as Rick and Fennuci, I really enjoyed the massive bass sound when watching movies, Im so sad that it went out on me and now wondering should I repair it or replace it... I got it for a great deal like $75 bucks at best buy open box rack some years back, I tried all the same test as you guys did and it clicks on and powered signal led changes from red to green but but no sound, I thought it was my sony reciever at first! and I was going to run out and buy a new one and it's not even that old, So I see that it is the sub =( Was there any resovlemet to any of the other owners? Thanks!!

igotthelife

Auditioning
Real Name
Frank Rucinski
Soundless in Michigan !

Hello,
Just signed into this site and was suprised to see that Rick and I have a common problem with the SA-WM40 subwoofer. I too have no sound. I would like to repair my sub rather than replace it. I have not used it for a few years since it first went out. I recall a rather large buzzing noise. Now I am no tech but I am sure it was not a good thing.
I recently brought it back out of storage and have re-introduced it to my HT. At one point it worked again (shortly) as I was moving the HT system and had to break it all down. The sub worked and I was thrilled, but, when I disconnected it (and re-connected) it would not come back on.
The power light comes on and there is an electrical click sound at the rear of the unit as I depress the button.
When it worked for the short time I unplugged the cable from the HT amp and touched the center pin of the sub cable and it would hum. (still plugged into the sub w/power on)
I turned the sub off and unplugged the cable to relocate the sub and I am again soundless.

Can anyone help?
Hey Sam. I'm having the same issue. What did you end up doing?

igotthelife

Auditioning
Real Name
Frank Rucinski
Hello, my name is Rick and I have a Sony SA-WM40 subwoofer that just died. It seems to be able to read a signal as it will turn-on on it's own when the reciever sends it a signal. The driver is good (I tested it) but it won't output sound. It's about 6 years old and does anyone know if this is a common problem with this sub? What is the problem and is it a cheap fix? If not, what's a compariable sub to it out now in terms of performance and price? (paid ~250 new out the door)

Thanks,
Rick
Hey Rick. I'm having the same issue. What did you end up doing?

igotthelife

Auditioning
Real Name
Frank Rucinski
Soundless in Michigan !

Hello,

Can anyone help?
Hey Fennuci. I'm having the same issue. What did you end up doing?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well, I first responded to this thread 11 1/2 years ago.

Since then, I upgraded my modded Sony WM40 sub with an SVS PB-1000.

That is an entry-level SVS sub...but greatly outperformed the Sony. If you can swing it pricewise, I'd heartily recommend an SVS. And as noted above, the HSUs are also widely respected around the HTF.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks