Sony SA-WM40 sub modifications, are they worth it?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Matt_Smi, Apr 17, 2004.

1. Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi Second Unit

I have owned this Sony 12” sub for 3 years now. And while overall I am happy with it for the price, it gets too boomy at higher volume levels. To compensate for this I usually need to turn down the level on the sub. But I have read on audio review that adding some polyfill to the box can help to tighten up the bass to an extent. Is this worth doing? Will I notice a difference and will it really make the bass less sloppy at higher volume levels? If it does make a difference I guess the only thing that would keep me from doing it would be the fact that I still have a year left on my service plan from best buy. And doing the mod may void that warranty. Thanks in advance for any input on this.

2. Nathan W.

Nathan W. Stunt Coordinator

If you can put the polyfill in without leaving clues the enclosure had been opened, then I'd do it. Try not to chew up any screw heads by letting the screwdriver or whatever slip. You'd also have to remove the polyfill and vacuum out the enclosure really good if you needed to use your warranty.

Since polyfill is cheap, it'd be worth it just to gain a little experience on the subject and to satisfy your curiosity. I myself have never added acoustic damping material to any speaker or sub, but whenever I read about someone doing it, it has always resulted in better sound to the author's ears.

Oh yeah, don't glue the polyfill in til your warranty expires. You may not even need glue at all.

3. jonathan_little

jonathan_little Stunt Coordinator

My Sony SA-WM40 sh-t the bed after 15 months of light usage, so congrats at getting 3 years out of it.

4. David Ruggiero

David Ruggiero Stunt Coordinator

I have done the polyfil mod, and while I would not say that it makes a huge difference, it does make the sub sound better. A bag of Polyfil is very cheap, and it only takes a few minutes to take the woofer out, insert the polyfil and re-install the woofer. As long as you don't glue the polyfil in (I didn't, it stays in place by itself) you could always take it back out if you don't like the sound or if you need warrantee service. You will probably want to turn the sub gain up a little after the mod since the polyfil absorbs some of the boominess, making the sub seem not as loud, but not as sloppy either.

5. Theon

Theon Agent

I have done the polyfil mod, and the sub definitely performs better. I found that putting some serious weight on top of the sub also helps it to produce a tighter sound.

With regards to the warranty, you have to ask yourself: do I want better sound or one year with a sub performing below its potential? I'd go with the better sound since the sub isn't all that expensive.

6. Nathan Bjork

Nathan Bjork Stunt Coordinator

Yet another post with positive feedback to the mod. After completing this mod in about 10 minutes (I had to find a 3/32 hex) I found that it really improves the sound, I no longer have to continue to turn the sub down and back up everytime a scence changes. I was very careful about removing the screws and removing the driver, and no one would ever no that I removed the driver. I just stuffed 2/3 of a 20oz bag of polyfil losely (no glue, tight packed) in there and I love it.

And just a note about the best buy warranty, I took my MP3 player that I had broken by tampering with it after I thought the usb output was broken (turned out to be a worn out USB input on the computer). I had opend it and it was fairly noticable that I had opened it but they still accepted it. Could just be the people at my BB though.

Good luck with your sub.

-Nathan

7. Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi Second Unit

" I no longer have to continue to turn the sub down and back up everytime a scence changes."

I know just what you mean here! If I watch a movie at relatively low volume (who wants to do that) than the sub will be ok. But when I watch movies I usually like to have the volume at 15 on my Sony receiver (it goes to 30). And if I know a big explosion or something with a lot of LFE is coming up in the film I have to back my sub down so it will not sound “loose”. It’s a pain in the ass having to adjust the sub from ½ to ¾’s and anywhere in between during a movie. At least I can reach my sub from behind my chair without getting up but still. If it eliminates the need for this that IMO it will defiantly be worth it. I will try to make it look like no one ever opened the sub the best I can in case I need to use my warranty, but it looks like I am going to try this. If for some reason I don’t like it I can always take the poly-fill out. So after taking out the screws the sub just pulls right out? I suppose it would be easier to put the sub on its back when doing this. Thanks for the input on this thus far.