Sony sa-wm40 making buzzing noise.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Julio De Luis, Aug 14, 2002.

1. Julio De Luis

Hey everybody.
    Currently the problem I am having with my sony sa-wm40 is that whenever it has to put very low bass, it seems to make an annoying noise like if something is buzzing.
    I had bought my sub. at Best Buy with a warranty about almost a year ago and had previously taken it to them twice
    to see if they could fix the problem, but they supposedly could not find a problem with the sub.
    The question is if this is something normal that the sub. does because it can't handle the low bass, or is something I could have caused by opening it too much when I was adding pollyfill and maybe the holes where the screws go through might have gotten looser.
    I'm sure it's not the polyfill inside because I had taken the polyfill out to see if it was the problem but it wasn't. I am also sure it is not the subwoofer because I
    had taken the sub. out and played a low tone to see if it was the problem, but it
    wasn't because it didn't make the buzzing noise.
    So what do you guys think might be the problem and do you think there is anything
    I can do to fix the problem.
    Any information will gladly be appreciated.
    Thanks. [​IMG]

2. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

It probably can't handle very low bass notes that soem of these dvds are putting out. I believe that unit is good for ambiance bass not real hard driving bass like a Velodyne or a SVS sub can do.

Also the woofer could be damaged, that would cause a buzzing sound that's real annoying.

My old Velodyne 8" sub (similar to yours) also would need its woofer replaced every 2 years due to the fact that the 8" woofer just can't handle bass heavy soundtracks forever.
    The woofer fails eventually. I would just order a new woofer from Velodyne for about $40 bucks and put it back in.

I sold that sub to an in-law and now own a larger Velodyne CT-120 and an SVS 25-31CS+ sub.

Maybe you should take the sub to a local Speaker Shop and have the woofer tested. Don't trust BestBuy when it comes to testing.

3. Julio De Luis

Thanks for the information.
    Well luckly I still have a warranty on the sub. at Best Buy so maybe I should just blow up the woofer and just tell them that it doesn't work anymore. [​IMG]
    Who knows I might try it. But in the meantime does anybody have anymore information. Thanks.

4. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

That's the thing about subwoofers, they take alot of abuse especially with todays modern soundtracks.

The smaller subs do need a new woofer every once in awhile because of the pounding they take even in just one movie.

This is from my local Speaker guy (SpeakerKits of Bellerose NY). He was not shocked that my smaller Velodyne needed a new woofer.

I would think the larger the sub (12"to 15") the longer the woofer could take the pounding. It's all up to how loud you like your movies and how often you use the HT.

But putting in a new woofer is very easy.

5. Joe Tilley

Joe Tilley Supporting Actor

Can you tell if the noise is coming from the speaker itself, or the enclosure? If by any chance the enclosure has a bad joint or seal somewhere the low frequencies could be causing it to vibrate or buzz at lower levels. If this was the case a good tube of liquid nails in the joints would help out.

Also if you have the speaker out you may check out where the spider & cone meet, I have seen a couple of speakers come apart in this area & cause buzzing noises. If you look for it move the speaker in & out to see if it has separated anywhere around there, just part of it coming apart can cause quite a bit of noise.

One last thing you may look for is the wire going to the speaker it may be laying on the cone or even the lead wires may be slapping the cone.

6. Julio De Luis

Good news, I fixed the problem.
    Well I was playing around with the sub. today and playing low tones to see where exactly the noise was coming from and I could here the buzzing noise coming from the top part of the woofer that was facing up. So just to experiment I laid the sub. sideways to see if it would keep on making the same buzzing noise but apparently it didn't make the noise anymore.
    So what I did was I unscrewed the woofer and rotated it so that the part of the woofer that was facing the top, was now facing a little to the side. After I aligned the newly positioned woofer mounting holes to the holes on the box, I just screwed back on the screws as tightly as possible. Then I just tested the sub. with a couple of dvd's that I would have problems with to see if the problem had actually gone away.
    The first dvd that I tried the sub. with that usually had big problems was The Lord of the Rings DVD. This time instead of hearing an annoying buzzing sound coming from the sub. I only heard noises from the windows which sounded like if they were going to fall out. [​IMG]
    Still being skeptical, I tried another DVD in which the buzzing noise would be very apparent before. The DVD I tried was Final Fantasy. In this DVD the buzzing noise would be very apparent in the opening credits where there is usually no sound coming from the speakers but just very low bass coming from the sub. And to my surprise the buzzing noise that was very apparent before was not heard anymore in anyway.
    So it seems the problem that I have been annoyed by for a couple a months, has now been fixed. I Hope.
    Well again thanks for the information and help John and Joe.
    Let's just hope I don't encounter anymore problems.
    Thanks. [​IMG]