1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Sony S330 player problems...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BarryK, Dec 23, 2001.

1. BarryK

BarryK Auditioning

Wondering if you folks can help. As stated above, I have a Sony DVP-S330 DVD Player connected (via digital coax) to a Sony 333ES receiver. It appears I'm experiencing the infamous "lip-sync" problem. For the most part, the dialogue seems to stay in sync on MY discs - rentals sometimes get off, but restarting SOMETIMES helps. My question though is about audio quality - the music frequently gets distorted & breaks up. Seems to happen towards the middle or end of a movie (i.e.: I was watching my brand new copy of Moulin Rouge last night & experienced this). Again, the dialogue seemed in sync, but the music was definitely breaking up - almost sounds like it's skipping slightly. Is this being caused by the sync problem that seems to be inherent in this machine? Would the firmware fix by Sony take care of this? Or, could this be a problem in my receiver or the way I've got this connected? Sorry for all the questions - relatively new to home theater & not sure how to fix this very annoying problem! If the answer is: I should get a new DVD player, any suggestions? I'd like to stay under $500 or so...

THANKS in advance for any advice/suggestions!

Barry

2. IraSWeiss

IraSWeiss Stunt Coordinator

I just got my 330 back from service with the same problems taken care of. They did the firmware upgrade to 2.7 and replaced two resistors and one chip (all parts at $1.90 each) and everything seems to work fine. The sound breakups are part of the same issue as the lip sync problem. The value of the service was listed at slightly over $100 parts, labor and shipping.

I know people downplay service contracts/extended warrantees, but the $30 I paid for the lifetime contract at Stereo Advantage has paid for itself several times over on this unit. I would advise anybody purchasing a Sony DVD player (check out the experience with the 560 and 360 at the Audioreview Web site) to get the extended coverage.

3. BarryK

BarryK Auditioning

Thanks Ira - I called Sony & after some discussion they offerred to give me 50% off the "repair" price or $176. So it will cost me $88 to get the upgrade done - worth it I suppose... if it fixes the problem, then this player actually works fine for me for now - certainly couldn't buy one comparable for $88...