Sony RrProjection Probs. Pls Hlp

Discussion in 'Displays' started by John_Nagy, Jan 30, 2004.

1. John_Nagy

John_Nagy Auditioning

I hope i'm posting this in the right forum, i really didn't see one dedicated to problemshooting......at any rate.....I have a sony rear projection(1.5 years old....The TV is currently producing 3 images due to the guns not focusing. It started about 2 weeks ago and has gotten progresivley worse under extremely light use. The TV has a Flash Focus button that should bring the guns in line with one another. When pushed they look as if they are trying to merge but it never gets it right and then stops trying....I've gotten so many different stories from different shops all wanting me to spend alot of $$$$. The TV's warranty ran out about 5 months ago. Any ideas?? or can someone give some guidance?? I, in my very limited knowledge would guess it to be a motor for one of the guns. No idea if this makes sense though.

Please give ideas of help...Thanks

2. John S

John S Producer

Does it offer a manual convergence? Have you tried to manually converge it if so?

3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Sounds like you need to a manual convergence, and perhaps also a manual alignment. You might be ablte to get an ISFer to do it, or a local tech guy, if you aren't up to the task.

4. ChrisTheg

ChrisTheg Agent

Sony's do not offer manual convergence. You need to have your television serviced by a technition. It sounds like you didn't purchase the extended warranty. Where did you buy it from? The flash focus isn't going to do anything for you. It is designed to work as a temporary fix not to fix outright allignment failure.

5. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

How can they not offer manual convergence!?

Not familiar with particular RPTVs, but that boggles the mind, certainly it must in the service menu...

6. John_Nagy

John_Nagy Auditioning

I couldn't believe there wasn't a manual convergence either. I also have a mittsubishi diamond series and that does. Now, knowing what I know that is definately a feature I want, albeit even if just a temporary fix.

Just kinda stinks. And where did I buy it from?? A friend who got in financial trouble sold it to me for $400. Worked fine for 2 months. He is a good friend and I know the problem did not previously exist.

One more question though......I just got off the phone with sony and apparently my picture tube is the only part still under warranty. Again, I don't have vast knowledge internals of my TV but I would think that with the symptoms i have that would be out of the question right???

And, is there any possibility that turning the TV on will damage it further?? Even if very slim I'd rather be safe.

Thanks

7. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

We don't know that it's damaged. Again, your set MUST have convergence adjustments somewhere, most likely in a service menu if they are not user accessible. did this happen very quickly? or over time? And how misconverged is the image?

It's probably an easy fix, but you sound like you need to take it to someone who can fix it for you.

8. John_Nagy

John_Nagy Auditioning

It all of the sudden happend one day.....It went from ok to not good one time that i turned the tv on...I have run the tv ever so slightly to see what i can accomplish.....I do know enough in my research and knowledge of TV's to say 100% there is no manual convergence from any menu....I can access the Auto Converg in different ways but no way to do it manually. I have spoken to a sony rep on the matter and he told me to my disbelief there was no such way to do it other than auto.

It is not that I am not mechanicly inclined.....I just would not know the first thing about adjusting those guns. I suppose nothing is broken, however, These guns I think should they be in proper working condition have the movement capabilities to converge properly as is.

Is there such a thing as service manual for these TV's for the home fixer???

9. Neil White

Neil White Supporting Actor

What's the model number? I had a 6 yr old Sony RPTV that had manual convergence (albeit single point) and no auto convergence. Current Sony models have both (with the manual now being multi-point).

N

10. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

I am still pretty confident that there is convergence adjustments in the service menu. Sony would tell you that there are no such adjustments since it's in the service menu, but they are there. I would try keohi, and let us know what model it is. It is also possible it has analog convergence, in which case you'd need to get to the innards to adjust this. IT sounds like it lost the covergence settings somehow.

11. John_Nagy

John_Nagy Auditioning

The model number is KP-43T70.......I guess I will try searching this sight and the net to find out how to access the service menu.

If I am understanding you guys correctly, The "service" menu is a different menu from the standard one that I access????

By the way, All three images are seperate. All over 1.5 inches off...One of them even more...

If in fact the service menu is a different from standard and someone knows how to access it please let me know....Until then I will do some searches and see if I can figure it out!!!!

Thanks to all for helping me out so far.....This is frustrating. If i can get it going...Beers and Pizza on me...lol

Thanks[​IMG]

12. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

The service menu is a hidden or password protected menu intended for techs only. This is likely why sony told you that there is no convergence, as for *consumers* there isn't, but it is there. However, you need to get in there to adjust the convergence. That the images are way off tells me that the guns may need physical alignment, and you may want to get a tech to do this at your skill level, at this point. There could be any number of things that happened, btu that all 3 are misaligned seems to indicate that the set lost it's previous settings, as physical shifting of yokes, guns, etc of more than one gun at the same time is pretty remote unless you were moving or otherwise jolted the set pretty seriously.