Sony RP LCD / center speaker placement / blocked IR receiver

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Tom McA, Jul 10, 2005.

1. Tom McA

Tom McA Stunt Coordinator

ARRRGH! The logistical things you don't think about when you buy a TV.

I just bought the Sony KDF-WE655 and love it, BUT, the only realistic place to put my center channel speaker is on the TV table in front of the set, effectively blocking the IR receiver (and hindering access to the power button and the Memory Stick slot), so that I now have to power the set on and off, and change inputs from the set itself instead of with my Harmony remote. So... angry...

Is it just me, or is this where a lot of people would put their center speaker, thereby making the existing location kind of a stupid place for the design engineers to have located the IR receiver?

Anyone know of an inexpensive IR repeater solution? I've been trolling Crutchfield, Radio Shack, and whatnot, and all I'm finding is expensive high-end multiroom IR/RF solutions.

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

One guy several years ago bought a HD RPTV. But it came in as a single box and the delivery guys could not get it up the stairs of his apartment. He had to sleep next to it that night so he could arrange storage. (just so you dont feel so bad. [​IMG] )

My center channel is on the floor. Two brown-rubber door wedges tilt it upwards. A lot cheeper than a IR repeater. Some people claim it actually gives better sound on the floor than on top of a RPTV. (Makes sense - put a speaker on a large, hollow box and you get some echo.)

My TV is on the fireplace hearth about 1 ft off the floor. If I put a table there for the center speaker, I would have the same problem that you do.

3. Richard_T

Richard_T Second Unit

I was on e-bay and bought an omnimount center channel shelf for next to nothing. It works great too. I recently bought a Sony KDF55XS955 and had real trouble trying to figure out what to do with my B&W 600S3 center channel. This works great and it's cheap too! Here's a link to the ad but check e-bay for a much lower price.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/OmniM...oductDetail.do

4. tonyKwok

tonyKwok Stunt Coordinator

tom,

i am in the same predicament as you. I have the 50" Sony KDF. My Tv is sitting on an IKEA stand about 20" off the floor. I ended up temporarily putting my JBL EC35 center on top of some phonebooks and a wedge to angle it up towards the listening position. I think I'll probably end up building my own center channel stand from Home Depot.

I've also thought about the OMNI-MOUNT but I'm afraid of putting extra weight on top of the TV. In addition, since we're both in So.CaL, you can never predict when the next earthquake will hit and I would hate to see my center tumbling down during one of those shakes.

tony

5. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

for simple, cheap and easy, i'd go with richard's suggestion.

i do agree that putting the ir sensor right in the middle is pretty stupid, but most people either put their center speaker above or below the tv ... not directly in front ... so i guess that was their logic.

for info on ir repeaters, my other thread may help...

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=228230

6. Tom McA

Omnimount: Good idea, but unworkable at my house due to a window behind the TV.

On top of the TV is too precarious, unlike the 34" tube that this TV replaced.

I'm not wild about the floor idea, because I like having my L C & R speakers all roughly on the same vertical plane as each other. And out of the dog's reach.

I'm actually kinda surprised all the IR repeater solutions I'm seeing are at least three figures. I just assumed Rat Shack or somebody would have a simple device that would perform wired short-range repeater duty for

7. Richard_T

Richard_T Second Unit

What about building a small shelf between the bottom of the TV and the cabinet to slip your center channel into? I was thinking of that before I bought the omni-mount. Just build up the cabinet to the height of your center channel and then run a new top. Then put your center in the new space!

8. Tom McA

Ohhh, Richard - That assumes a level of carpentry skills that I seriously lack. And it would make the viewing angle to the TV too high. There actually is a shelf below the TV, but my speaker is juuust barely too fat to fit in there. I'd look into just buying a whole new TV stand, but the TV itself was expensive enough, and the existing stand (according to my wife, and I'll defer to her on this one), matches the rest of our furniture.

9. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

not sure if you're talking about the tv-top stand doohicky that richard linked to. those are very stable ... it will hold a center speaker with no problem at all.

10. Tom McA

Well, hey now! That will work. I assumed the Omnimount mounted to the wall behind the TV, not on top of the TV itself. duh.

11. Richard_T

Richard_T Second Unit

I've got a piture of how it works. I'll post it later when I get home.

12. Greg Hoffman

Greg Hoffman Auditioning

Tom, Have you thought of mirrors? you can bend the ir beam many times in tight places.

13. Tom McA

No. Mama said mirrors are the devil.
    But seriously, folks... thought about it. Haven't experimented yet.

Good ideas, all, (although I still maintain the current receiver location was a dopey choice on the part of the design engineers. grumblegrumblegrumble).

14. Paul D G

Paul D G Screenwriter

I tried an Omnimount with my DLP but the back was too steep for it. I had to trade in the DLP for an RP-LCD and it, too, appears too steep for the Omnimount. So I have the center under the TV in the stand. Since I'd be wasting an entire shelf if I put it in the center I moved it off the the side so I could put my receiver next to it.

While not a "kosher" set up I can't tell the difference with the speaker being 8 inches to the left of center.

My point is -- just slide the thing off to the side. You probably won't even notice the difference and it's a tiny bit cheaper than buying a $200 repeater.

-paul

15. Richard_T

Richard_T Second Unit

Strange, I own the Sony 55XS955 LCD RP and it works great! I own the B&W 600 S3 which is a rather Heavy and large center channel and I have had no problems at all. Now if I could just figure out how to post damn pictures!

16. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

richard, you can use a free service like image shack to host the pic. then just post the url...

17. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Repeaters are tricky things. It's easy controlling equipment in one room from another because the equipment will only ever see the repeated signal.

Using a repeater in the same room gives you a potential problem: you have to insure the TV will never see both the original and repeated commands. At best, all your commands will be double. At worst, it will confuse the device and it wont respond.

And imagine if your other equipment (not blocked) could see the original and repeated command. Every time you hit the power-on, any device that sees both commands would see "toggle-power" "toggle-power" (or "turn on" followed by "turn off").

This could be why you are not finding some inexpensive IR repeater - they are really hard to setup properly.