Sony Rootkit removal

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Chris Bardon, Nov 9, 2005.

1. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

I'm sure that many of you have read about the new sony "protection" technology for their CDs that installs a rootkit on your PC when you insert the disc. The worst part is, it installs this software whether you accept their EULA or not, which I'm pretty sure is illegal...

There's actually a link on their faq now about removing the software, but it forces you to fill out a form and email them to request removal instructions. Has anyone else actually received a response to this request yet?

What happened to just being able to use your music the way you want it? Does anyone at Sony realize that this does nothing but make things more difficult for their customers?

2. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

Of course they realize that. They just don't care. Sure, a little bit of backlash now but the vast majority of the buying public won't even hear of this and if they do, they sure won't think about it when they go to the record store.

Everything these days is gearing more and more towards what is good for the corporations. Nobody gives a rats behind for what is good for the consumer. Just think for a few seconds about all the nutty levels of protection required for HD material on disc and all upcoming video standards... they actively remove rights consumers have had for a long time and so far only a small group of people even care.

I do believe that the Sony malware can be slightly defanged and the software you can request does do it. It doesn't apparently do it well (the uninstall can bluescreen the computer its being run on under certain circumstances) but it doesn't remove the software. It just removes the hiding mechanism and installs "service pack two" for the software they installed.

There is more info about this at http://www.sysinternals.com/Blog/ added since this news story broke, worth reading.

3. Marko Berg

Marko Berg Supporting Actor

Sony is run by a bunch of fucking idiots. [​IMG]

4. Paul Padilla

Paul Padilla Supporting Actor

5. Scott L

Scott L Producer

6. Paul Padilla

Paul Padilla Supporting Actor

7. Kimmo Jaskari

Probably just did that virus because they knew they'd get attention for it.

I wonder how long it would have remained unnoticed if they had released it before this brouhaha, and also made sure that it checked for the Sony hiding code being available before activating so it wasn't obvious on non-Sonyed computers...?

8. Ben J Loews

Ben J Loews Stunt Coordinator

As I have stated in another thread, Sony are fast loosing fans, I for one will not be buying a PS3, as I have only ever purchased NTSC consoles (as I live in the UK).

I have always imported games be it from the US or from Japan, as often I get them cheaper, and between 6-12 months before they hit UK shores.

Sony and a lot of other companies treat Europe and in particular UK consumers like dirt.

9. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Since when does buying a music CD warrant an End User Licence Agreement?

Sony have being going downhil for years in my eyes. This just proves what utter contempt they have for their customers.

That said, as far as copy control goes, I don't think we've seen anything yet. Just wait for BluRay.

10. Ben J Loews

Ben J Loews Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, Blu-Ray will be "interesting" shall we say, again, if it comes with a load of DRM baggage, then I can't see the common man buying into it.

11. Kimmo Jaskari

From the 10th of August this year:

"...the Blu-ray Disc Association, led by Sony, representing one of two competing high-definition DVD formats (the other being HD-DVD, led by Toshiba), stated it will simultaneously embrace digital watermarking, programmable cryptography, and a self-destruct code for Blu-ray disc players."

Just what you want, a player and disc combo that can send self-destruct codes to your expensive gear.

But of course, the Blu-ray Disk Association has Sony in a position of power, and we all know they would never abuse the customers trust, right?

12. Michael Harris

Michael Harris Screenwriter

From the Associated Press:

Wonder what they have up their sleeve to replace this?

13. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

The bastards wont be happy 'till we pay them every time we listen to a track, or watch a movie.

14. DaveJJ

DaveJJ Stunt Coordinator

15. Kimmo Jaskari

It was the only sane thing they could do, with the lawsuits and general outcry against this.

Still, it changes nothing, not really. They'll just regroup and come right back with something else, just as the MPAA lobbyists do with legislation; the broadcast flag for instance may have bounced the first time, but they'll keep at it so sooner or later there it will be.

It will probably baked into a bill named "The Family Feel-Good Fuzzy Embrace Bill" or something like that if the previous names these nasty laws have been slipped into are anything to go by... [​IMG]

16. Michael Harris

Michael Harris Screenwriter

And now, Microsoft to the rescue:

Full story here.

The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

17. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

Why don't they remove the file-hiding capabilities altogether??? Isn't that the solution?

18. DaveJJ

DaveJJ Stunt Coordinator

19. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Wow, what a huge mess. Wonder if Sony will do business with that "security" company in the future.

20. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer