Sony RM-AV2100 remote on the fritz

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JoshF, Apr 19, 2002.

1. JoshF

JoshF Supporting Actor

I have a Sony RM-AV2100 remote that has recently started bugging out on me. Specifically, system control button 1 and the backlight are not working.

Of course, I'm a month out of warranty. Anyone know of any solutions, and does anyone have any idea how much a repair starts at for this item?

Thanks in advance.

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

well you could always take it apart and see if there's an obvious reason. however, you just might find that being only one month out of warranty, if you act quickly that Sony will still cover the unit. as far as prices, call your local service center and they can advise you.

3. JoshF

JoshF Supporting Actor

No love from Sony regarding covering the unit. As far as prices, the service center quoted me $30 for an estimate alone, and no idea as to cost of repair.

If I know I'm gonna spend at LEAST $30 on a repair (and most probably more), do I just buy a new RM-AV3000 and be done with it?

4. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

i do hate it when they're not a 'little' flexible. i take it you've gone through the trouble of trying to speak to a supervisor and pleading your case. so often the cost of these repairs is close to that of another unit. well if you decide to spring for a new one, you can always take the old one apart and see if you're dealing with a broken wire for the backlight or possible a little bit of dirt or residue that's causing the problems...sorry [​IMG]

5. JoshF

JoshF Supporting Actor

Not your fault, but thanks for the apology.

Will I be able to dump the settings from the 2100 into the 3000?