What's new

Sony Receivers (1 Viewer)

DrSteve

Agent
Real Name
Steve
OK, OK I know they aren't NAD or another gucci brand, but I do have a neighbour who works for them and can get a healthy discount, enabling me to get more receiver for the buck than I could otherwise.

I'm wondering if anyone has opinions on:
Sony STR-DA3100ES/B - AV receiver - 7.1 (retails for 830)
SONY STR-DA3000ES ES (Elevated Standard ) Audio/Video Receiver (retails for 630)
Sony 7.1 Channel Surround Receiver - SNY-STRDA2100ES (retails for 520)

The 3100 would probably be my top choice and I like the uncluttered finish. It's not like the Yamaha's I looked at which had dials and buttons gallore. The 3000ES seems to be along the same lines. Power output is about the same and shold be plenty for my needs. THD is about the same for all models. The only thing I am not sure of is if they have the mic hook up for automatic equalising - not a requirement, but it would be nice.

It's either that or get a Denon 1907, Pioneer VSX-1016TXV or VSX-80TXV (based on specs and not listening to them)

Thanks!

Mike_J_D

Stunt Coordinator

I'm not a Sony receiver fan, but you are asking about their ES line, not their regular line. I believe that you shouldn't buy a receiver based on specs, you should go to a good brick and mortar electronics and listen to all the receivers you are interested in. Most websites have a dealer locator, I would see who is around your area and pay them a visit. Better to pay a little more and be happy then save a few bucks and not like your receiver.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
As far as I can tell (or so SONYs website would have me believe) the STR-DA3000ES and STR-DA2100ES AVRs are no longer being made.

SONY does have 2 AVRs I like: The 3100es & the 7100es. My biggest problem is the lack of premium video inputs....

The STR-DA3100ES has no HDMI inputs, and only 2 component inputs (retail: $999)
The STR-DA7100ES has 2 HDMI inputs, but still only 2 component inputs (retail: $1999)

So unless you're strictly a DVD & Cable box kinda guy, you'll probably want an AVR with more inputs (I personally think 3 component or HDMI inputs are a bare minimum).

DrSteve

Agent
Real Name
Steve

LOL plenty of dealers sell Sony, but very few have them hooked up and if they do, they have crappy bose speakers to listen to. Go to a gucci store and they snigger when you tell them you need a receiver/amp for $500 or less.

dany

Supporting Actor
Real Name
D

Get the Denon and be happy unless you can get a top of the line Sony cheap.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
What kind of discount, is the discount dependent on the item or is it a constant percentage?

And I'm not sure on the usage of the "Gucci" word, the practicality or value of a Gucci wallet is just vanity. Most people don't go and buy a Krell preamp, two monoblocks and a pair of Wilson Watt pups to make themselves look good. People usually intend to buy quality audio for the purpose of enjoying high quality audio reproduction, not to relish the fact they have money and can buy expensive stuff. Paris Hilton is rich and can afford to blow money on Gucci, most audiophiles I know are dead broke. Rant rant rant.

DrSteve

Agent
Real Name
Steve

But Paris Hilton is dumb - she probably has a Monster system with Bose speakers.

LOL a gucci store is the one that essentially showed me the door as they didn't have any "entry level" HT receiver/amps for under $700. You know the kind. Unfortunately there's not a whole lot around where I am which is between Best Buy and the store which is nothing but arm chairs and pre-amps.

I'm not sure of the percentage discount...I believe it is quite high and for models they are about to discontinue very high. The comment about the HDMI connections is well taken, but so far none of my video goes through the amp, only audio. My TV doesn't even have HDMI inputs, just firewire and component which can handle 480p to 1080i.

So here's another question...what is native DVD resolution? Let's say I have a DVD which comes out of my DVD player at 480p...goes into my amp and gets upconverted to 1080i. Will I truly see a better picture from just watching 480p? It sounds somewhat like interpolation on a digi-cam to get an effective resolution higher than the true resolution. Sounds nice, but doesn't really give you a whole lot of extra.

DrSteve

Agent
Real Name
Steve

Thanks - so is there any advantage to upconverting? It doesn't seem like it. I can understand the advantage of progressive, but not upconverting and adding in information which isn't there to begin with!

Nick:G

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick Gallegos
Sony ES products aren't what they used to be. In fact, cheaper Denon models have more useful features AND they sound better. For an $800 budget, you can get the upcoming AVR-2307CI, which is packed with features for the price level.

To answer the most recent question, there seems to be a confusion with "upconversion". Many receivers with component video switching and/or HDMI (which is the majority these days) will upconvert lesser analog video signals (i.e. s-video, composite) into component video or HDMI so you can minimize the amount of cabling required to output to the monitor.

On the other hand, SOME AV receivers will actually upconvert 480i/p video sources to HD resolution in addition to the normal video format upconversion. This is in lieu of having a DVD player that does HD upconversion already.

HD upconversion can make a difference, depending on the quality of the display device. On my recent test with the new Rotel RDV-1092 hooked up to the Sharp LC-57D90U (both pricey pieces of gear, at $1500 and $16000!), I saw little very difference between normal progressive mode (480p) and the 1080i upconversion mode coming out of the player. However, the difference was quite noticeable on the Mitsubishi WD73732 DLP TV. In general, letting the source do the upconversion first is preferable, because most HDTVs don't have very good built-in video scalers (there are some exceptions, of course).

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
If the budget is around $800-900, I would get the Outlaw Model 1070, awesome receiver. This sucker weighs a ton though, 40 pounds, so shipping might be expensive. This thing touts a hefty amount of power, despite it is only rated 65 watts per channel, but they are 65 good watts. I would bet the Outlaw has more dynamic power than a Sony ES receiver. Not only that is is a solid product, with firmware upgrades available.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
You could use an old flagship player like mine, Toshiba SD-9000 non progressive player, with a high end Pioneer Elite or Runco plasma and get a better picture from the TV's internal processing vs. using a cheaper upconversion player.

DrSteve

Agent
Real Name
Steve
No the budget is not $800...it is $500. But with employee discount I can probably get an $800 Sony for $500 or less. So that puts me in the price range of a Denon 1907. I'd love an Outlaw or NAD...but beyond my limits right now.

DrSteve

Agent
Real Name
Steve
Thanks. I'm going to check at the local Sony outlet center and see if they have one hooked up. Shame about my marantz :frowning:

DrSteve

Agent
Real Name
Steve

Looks like a good store - thank you. Of course I found several models all in or around my range: 2106, 2805 but also 1082/3802 and sipping for such a heavy item is pretty reasonable as well.

Too many choices and not enough local dealers!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks