What's new

Sony Receiver Product History (1 Viewer)

jamers99

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason
I've bought several Sony Receivers over the years. Every year they change their model # naming convention. i.e. STR DE-735, STR DE-845, STR DE-897

Is there anyplace on the internet where I can find a repository listing all the Sony Receiver models for each year? I be willing to bet someone has kept track of this.

Kind of like this
2002 - 597, 797,897, 997
2003 - 535, 735, 835, 935
2004 - 545, 745, 845, 945

jamers99

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason
What exactly is wrong with Sony DE receivers? If it's in my budget and it sounds acceptable to me?

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
If they sound good to you then don't worry about it. If they don't break down or have problems and do what you need it to do, then there isn't a problem. Many would argue that better can be had for the money, but you have to make those decisions by listening, reading reviews, and price comparing. Just don't base your receiver purchases on what you see on paper.

Sony deffinitely overates their receivers. Comparing 100 watts of Sony power to Harman Kardon's 50 watts is a night and day difference. You have to consider the inner workings of an amplifier to have a more real idea of power.

Size of transformer, Input power (amperage or wattage), Capacitors (can shaped objects in pairs). Large power supplies and Large capacitors indicate a powerfull receiver or amplifier. Unless you get into digital receivers like the panasonics then a receiver's weight can make evident the raw power that it really has under the hood. 20 pounds is puny, you are looking at least 25 hopefully more for a semi-powerfull receiver. Onkyo, Denon, and Yamaha receivers in the $300-500 range generally have more power than Sony's in that range.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I would have to agree with Seth on this. While I own a Sony ES DVD player and a Sony HDTV. I would not run out and buy a Sony reciever even if it was a ES model. Granted there are plenty of people that love Sony recievers and plenty that hate them. IMHO there are big differences in how many recievers are built and the quality of the parts that go into them.

Harman Kardon on paper looks like it puts out less power but don't let that fool you. At the same time you have companies like Yamaha, Denon and Pioneer Elite that IMHO offer a better product in the reciever area. You can step up from there and look at companies like Sunfire, Adcom and then you go up to companies like McIntosh, Meridian and others. Its all about your budget and what level of quality you are looking for. Does that mean you have to spend $7k on a reciever to get great sound? NO!

Personally I prefere companies like Denon and Pioneer Elite because they are know for using better internal amplifiers, better digital to analog converters, better processing for surround sound and better build quality in general. If you are set on a Sony reciever I would not buy one unless its a ES model. The extra money you spend will be worth it in the end as it is a better built product then there standard line up. And the old saying holds alot of truth "you get what you pay for". I would buy the most exspensive model you can possible afford. Even if you have to put of the purchase for alittle while you will be glad you did later. The goal is not to spend the most cash. But to get something that will more than meet your needs and that will give you room to grow for future needs. And will provide good performance over the years, not just for a year or two.

Hope this helps?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks