Sony receiver problems playing DV D's...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by George V, Jul 21, 2002.

1. George V

George V Extra

I have a Sony V333ES receiver that has been working fine. I just played a DVD that has some bass and the Sony goes into "protection mode" when the volume get louder. I've previously played/watched my system louder with no problems. I can't get the volume to an acceptable level without the receiver going into protection mode. I've checked speaker wires/connections for possible shorts...nothing. The only thing I had done recently...was upgraded my old fuse box to 100 amp breaker panel. I certainly hope this is not contributing to the problem...

I've played the tuner and used the DVD player to play CDs...no problem there regarding bass output and receiver going into protection mode...

Any ideas as to what the problem is???

TIA,
    George

2. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

It sounds like you have a short somewhere, usally it involves your speaker wire/connections. Double check all of your connections even if it means disconnecting and reconnecting including your connections behind your reciever. Even though you may feel they don't need it. Then test to see if the problem has been eliminated.

3. Andrew Pierce

Andrew Pierce Stunt Coordinator

Andrew Pierce
    Since you've got no problems in 2 channel mode, sounds to me like you just need to check for shorts in your surround speakers, or in the receiver end of the surround speaker wires. Maybe you could try cranking up a test tone, which may tell you which speaker is to blame. Assuming, of course that's the problem.

4. TomCW

TomCW Second Unit

George, another possibility is you could have some speakers set to 'LARGE' that need to be set to 'SMALL'. This could be causing the amp to clip on the bass that the sub should be handling.
    Tom