Sony Receiver Problem...

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Brian Chapin, Mar 8, 2005.

1. Brian Chapin

Brian Chapin Auditioning

All,

I own a Sony receiver that I purchased in 2000 as part of the Sony HT-DWW620 "Home Theater In a Box" package. It was, I believe, the first Sony HT in a Box receiver that featured both Dolby 5.1 and DTS decoding. Until recently, it has performed like a champ. Lately, though, it has begun to utter a series of pops and clicks that result in the near-complete loss of the front center channel. When I say "near-complete," I mean that I can still hear a very, very muffled noise coming out of the center channel.

1. I have checked the wire path and connections at both receiver and speaker ends.
    2. I have noticed that if I tap hard on the back of the receiver, I cause a another series of pops/clicks that temporarily spark the front center channel back into action. The resumed functionality lasts anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours before another series of pops and clicks renders it muffled and nearly mute again.
    3. This happens when I am using audio from a number of sources, including DVD, AUX, TV.

Any thoughts on the cause and fix? Should I just buy a new receiver? Thanks in advance.

2. Brian Chapin

Brian Chapin Auditioning

Correction: it's the Sony HT-DW820, not 620....

3. John S

John S Producer

It is most likely a bad solder job on the connector itself. Given the good wack making it work again for a while.

4. EvanW

EvanW Stunt Coordinator

I know exactly what the problem is its and sony a its not in the ES series, you fix this problem by A) buying a new receiver B)buying a new receiver or C)buying a new receiver and i suggest that the new receiver not be a sony DE

5. Brian Chapin

Brian Chapin Auditioning

I appreciate the feedback on the potential solder issue.

Regarding Sony ES, I would love to own one -- or a receiver of similar quality. However, I do not necessarily have $600 (or more) to blow on a new stereo receiver at a moment's notice. My Sony DE, while probably not an audiophile's first choice, has performed very well over the years. If I can retain it by repairing solder, which might cost me $6 and 20 minutes, that's what I'll do.

If anyone else has constructive notions of what the cause and fix of my problem might be, I welcome their comments.

6. DorianBryant

DorianBryant Screenwriter

Brian,

There are no guarantees it will cost only $6 to repair. Could easily run much more. You may try to "Ebay" the sony and state its conditiuon. Then you could pick up a better quality receiver for not much money.

Such as:

Onkyo 502 (refurb)-$150 from JandR

Panny SA-XR50-$230 from Ecost

Any number of refurbs from Harman Audio-HK 130 for $231 and HK-320 for $297