Sony Receiver: Lacking Volume! Any Ideas?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Von Pein, Feb 4, 2002.

1. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

I recently purchased a Sony receiver (Model STR-DE475), and was very unhappy with it. Any of you out there own this receiver?

I found the volume level to be extremely weak. I had to turn the darn thing up to near max. to get it to the desired volume level, which I deemed to be ridiculous. And when using headphones with this unit, the volume is even worse! It has to go past max., and it's still too low!

Anybody have similar problems with Sony (or other) receivers? Thanks.

2. Darren Lewis

Darren Lewis Supporting Actor

Is this with all sources? What have you got connected to it and how?

I had my TV (Sony KV32FX65) connected to my Sony STR-DB940 and noticed that it was a lot quieter - had to go in to the menu of the TV and increase the output volume from the phono sockets.

3. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Yeah, knowing what sources are giving your problems might be helpful. Is this DVD that is the problem? Note that DVD uses the most of dynamic range, so the average level seems lower when compared to CD or TV feeds.

Is your system calibrated? Sometimes getting all the speaker settings correct makes all the difference. Some people have their individual channel levels all the way down, for example. Also, many receivers have an input level for each mode (DVD, VHS, TV, etc)-- and often these default to all the way down.

My firends have a cheap Aiwa system, and it just isn;t enough for their room. To get ref level out of it, it has to be all the way up... Sometimes you just need hefty gear for medium or larger rooms.

-Vince

4. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

And make sure that all your speakers are hooked up in phase, negative to negative and positive to positive - see your other post for more information.

5. Tom Rags

Tom Rags Supporting Actor

David-

I own this receiver, and it functions quite well for me since I was on a budget. I am well aware that there are far far greater receivers out there (I intend on upgrading in the next year or so)...however, given its ultimate budget status (I paid $150 new), I am very happy with this little receiver. I have not had any problems with volume levels, though I am operating in a relatively small room (~11x12). On my system (BIC America Speakers F,C,L,LS,RS; SONY SAWM40 Sub; SONY PS2 DVD), my comfortable listening level is about "15-16" on the volume level (higher for some such as those recorded at lower levels like Phantom Menace [~17-18] and lower for some recorded at higher levels like Gladiator DTS [~14]). However, I can normally exceed 20 without much noticable distortion (though this is a little loud for my tastes). Therefore, I highly suggest you check what other people have mentioned (such as if the speakers are correctly in phase and speaker impedence) to make sure things are on the up and up. What types of speakers are you using? Hope this helps.

--Tom

6. Mark Rodrigues

Mark Rodrigues Auditioning

Hi David,
    I have that unit and it is OK in the size of room it is in (an open ~7m x ~7m room).
    I have run it at max without noticiable distortion, but tend to run it at about 10-15 generally.
    I did buy the reciever in a pack with DVPNS300, SAVE525 and speaker cables (http://shop.store.yahoo.com/coshoppe...htdvdpach.html), so maybe all the components were well matched and that's why I am not getting the problem.
    One thing to check would be the listening mode on the reciever. I find the Cinema 1 setting is louder than the standard setting (I think its called AFD for Auto Format Decoding), but less clear.
    I don't think this could make enough of a difference to account for the performance you are getting though.
    Mark

7. Ryan L B

Ryan L B Supporting Actor

I have to blast the volume up to around 28 or 29 to hear cable programs in mono like WWF RAW or sporting events on ESPN. But when watching a DVD in DD 5.1 or even DTS 5.1, I only turn it up to 22-25. So thats my experence with them

8. Mark Rodrigues

Mark Rodrigues Auditioning

This is interesting on a couple of counts.
    - I actually recieve my cable broadcast (here in Australia) in sterio - with WWF Raw actually being broadcast in Dolby surround based on the work done by my surrounds (What! What! What! What! [​IMG] )
    - My cable broadcast is actually a little loader than my DVD volume.
    Maybe the key to your problem is the mono broadcast you are recieving.
    And I am not sure how you are wiring up this mono broadcast to the reciever either ...
    More questions than answers [​IMG]
    Mark

9. DougRuss

DougRuss Stunt Coordinator

You don't have the Mute Switch ON , do you?
    * Don't know if that model has one on it though?[​IMG]

10. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

11. Ryan L B

When I turn up the volume all the way, you can hear a very annoying hiss noise. This especially happens on MSNBC, The Fox News network, and all the cable box only channels. (HBO+, HBO Family and The Movie Channel.)

I have Comcast out here and I tried satilite and you had to pay to get individual channels. I had the really big dish thats around 10 feet high. This was before direct tv even existed

12. Ryan L B

When I turn up the volume all the way, you can hear a very annoying hiss noise. This especially happens on MSNBC, The Fox News network, and all the cable box only channels. (HBO+, HBO Family and The Movie Channel.)

I have Comcast out here and I tried satilite and you had to pay to get individual channels. I had the really big dish thats around 10 feet high. This was before direct tv even existed

13. Ryan L B

Actually I put it in normal Surround. However certin programs like the chair. Buffy, and the majority of sitcoms are all in 5.1