Sony receiver help

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Andy Stocker, Sep 21, 2003.

1. Andy Stocker

Andy Stocker Stunt Coordinator

Hey everyone, I have a Sony receiver that was part of a home theater package (HT-DDW830) that I've had for about 2 years now. Now this receiver has 2 optical-digital inputs and 1 coaxial input. The coaxil can only be used for the DVD/LD input but the 2 opticals are labeled TV/SAT and then DVD/LD. Now, I would have figured that I would have been able to switch between coaxil and optical in DVD/LD automatically if I just turned off one of the devices, but I found out that AUTO mode only refers to switching from digital to analog. Now, when I hit the input mode on the receiver I can switch (on DVD/LD of course) between COAX IN, AUTO IN, ANALOG, and OPT IN. I was wondering if anyone has been able to switch 3 digital connections like this on a Sony receiver like mine? I CAN switch DVD/LD from COAX IN to OPT IN but I cannot seem to do it from the remote (hey I'm lazy!) So, am I right in stating that AUTO IN only switches between analog and digital AND if so, is there not a way to change between opt in and coax in by remote?? Thanks for any help,

Andy Stocker

2. AaronBatiuk

AaronBatiuk Second Unit

Here's the deal with the Sony auto-detect. The receiver checks both of the digital inputs to see if there is a signal, and if there is, then it uses it instead of the analog inputs. It is important to know two things: First, the Coax input is higher priority that the optical input, so if both have a 'signal', then the receiver will always pick coax. Second, most DVD or CD Players will output a digital 'signal' even when they are not being used, but are merely turned on.

So in order for the receiver to switch automagically to the DVD Optical digital input, you must turn off the device that is connected to the DVD Coaxial digital input. It is not enough to simply press Stop on one device and Play on the other.