Sony Receiver, DSP modes, equalizer, speakers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason_A, Mar 17, 2002.

1. Jason_A

Jason_A Stunt Coordinator

Ok I have a STR-DE925 and it has the DSP sound fields just like all the rest. But I was wondering if I turn down the effect level so its either off or just so the tin can effect disappears does that change the sound field to like the AFD mode or does it just turns the field down?

In other words messing with the effect level will it change into another mode like AFD or sound field off?

I hope somebody can get through my bad english.

Also is it a good Idea to mess with the equalizer on certain modes. This is what I did. I took the high number subtracted the low number and divided by 2.

So like on my receiver Treble

10 khz to 1 khz. So 10000 - 1000/2 = 4.5khz

I did this for each of the three. Treble/mid/bass.

Is this a good thing to do or not?

2. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

Jason: When you adjust a DSP soundfield, it does not change anything in AFD mode. AFD mode has no adjustable parameters. ...)(Note that I'm NOT talking about speaker distances and level balancing settings.) When I had my Sony DB830, I could adjust one soundfield and it didn't affect the others.

As for the equalizer settings, I'm a believer in the theory that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. IOW, if your speakers don't need tone setting adjustments, don't make any just because the equalizer is there. Try listening to lots of different music and movies with the eq. on and off. Then go with whatever sounds best to you. After all, tone control adjustments are very much a personal thing. (Who knows?? You may find that no eq. sounds the best

3. Ken Custodio

Ken Custodio Second Unit

4. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

I too have the 835. I also feel thaat when dsps are on I hear that tin or reverb like sound that I very much dislike. I leave it in AFD and usually leave the eq off(I think that is as close to source as possible). Most well recorded cds sound better IMO. If it is a poor recrding or lacking bass, I will add miinor increases to eq to my liking. I didn't know any better when I bought this sony, it has been a reliable performer but I cant wait to move it to the bedroon and get me a Yammy or Onkyo.[​IMG]

5. Jason_A

Jason_A Stunt Coordinator

Well I have messed with the level effect. IF you can find the right spot it will sound nice. I have found that either totally no effects or 4 blocks does quite well.

As for the Equalizer for the speakers try these settings and see if it sounds good on your system. It sounds great on mine.

Treble (10000 - 1000 /2)

4.5 khz

Mid (5000 - 500/2) It equals 2250 or 2.25 khz. The closest setting is below.

2.2 khz

Bass (1000 - 100/2) It equals 450 hz but the closest setting is below.

445 hz