Sony Receiver blinks "Protected" - how to fix?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MickeS, Jan 28, 2002.

1. MickeS

MickeS Producer

A friend of mine has a Sony receiver (STR-DE525 if I remember correctly) that she hooked up after a move. When she turns it on, the display just blinks the word PROTECTED, and it won't do anything.

Now, she hooked everything up, and she connected the speaker cables to the receiver... BUT the speakers aren't connected. SO, I am thinking that this is the problem, could it have short-circuited something, or overloaded?

If so, is there a flip, switch or something else (maybe inside the receiver) that could be used to get rid of the protected warning?

Any help would be most appreciated!

/Mike

2. Oscar W

Oscar W Stunt Coordinator

Sounds like there is a short in the speaker wires. Couple things you could do to check this:

1. disconnect the wires from the rcvr, see if it works

2. ensure all the bare wire ends are not touching each other, also make sure there are no wire strands touching other wires or speaker channels on the back of hte rcvr

3. hook up the speakers, ensure there are no stray wire strands touching other wires or speaker jacks

There is no way to bypass the Protection mode other than fixing the problem. The protect is there to protect the rcvr and you from a more costly mistake.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Unplug it for a while.

4. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Oscar, I unplugged everything (except the power) and turned it on again, still the same problem. I'll try hooking up the speakers and see if it goes away.

John, have you had this problem and found that unplugging it works, or where did you hear/read that? I'll try that too.

/Mike

5. Sean M

Sean M Stunt Coordinator

I worked at Best Buy when this model was being carried. We had the entire line, at one point or another, develop this problem. And this happened on multiple examples of the same unit in the line, to us and to customers. I don't think there is anything that can be done for this receiver, other than to have Sony fix it. This was just one of a number of problem we noticed on this line of receiver. Bad displays and poorly mounted power buttons that could be pushed back into the chassis were some others.

6. Eric Alderson

Eric Alderson Stunt Coordinator

I also had this situation at Best Buy. Sometimes it's the speaker cables touching and that usually can be corrected. Most of the time I wind up sending it out to our techs. Really annoying! [​IMG]

7. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John

8. Joe_H

Joe_H Screenwriter

I have a Sony receiver. As far as i know, Protection only kicks in when the wires are touching each other, or if it overheats.

9. Jeremy Little

Jeremy Little Supporting Actor

10. Joe Tilley

Joe Tilley Supporting Actor

I have alaways had sony products & can tell you this if it goes into protection mode it is genneraly caused by a short. Keep in mind the protection will turn on if the recever is over loaded or has reached the point of clipping,also if their is a connected spker that is blown it can cause this to happen.
    One last thing though if their are no speakers connected but the wires are hooked up than why are you turning it on in the first place that just dont make since[​IMG]

11. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Thanks for your replies, guys. Looks like she'll have to take it in for service. Anyone know how much this might cost? Is she better off just buying a new one?

I don't know why she turned it on without connecting the speakers to the spekaer cable. Maybe to see if it worked after the move.

/Mike

12. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Mike, did she remove the speakers wires with the receiver off and then turn it on again? If not, then she absolutely should before sending it in for service. She needs to rule out the speaker wires before sending it in.

If the unit does need to be repaired, I'd get a new receiver. It could be an expensive repair. In my opinion, she would be better off putting the money towards a new and better receiver.

13. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Yeah, I turned it off, disconnected everything and turned it on again, and it still blinked "protected". [​IMG]
    /Mike

14. Joe Tilley

Joe Tilley Supporting Actor

Mike, before you go to service see if your frend still has hes manul,it should hav a part in it on how to reset your recever. I dont rember for sure but on my old sony you had to turn the unit off (main power) than at the same time turn the main power back on wile holding the stand-by for 3 secounds to reset the recever.It been a long time since Ive had mine so that may not be quite how its done but I know its something like that.
    hope this works for ya good luck...[​IMG]

15. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Joe, thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, she doesn't have the manual, and I've been trying to find one to download online, with no luck. Maybe it would be worth ordering one from Sony?

/Mike

16. David John

David John Stunt Coordinator

I believe to reset the receiver, you have to hold the power button on the receiver itself for more than 5 seconds.. maybe even 10 seconds. This will reset it and it may go into demo mode.

The protection circuit will cut in when there is a short.

If there is nothing connected at all, it may be an internal short which can only be fixed by sending it in for service. If it is within warranty period, they will fix it for free.