Sony receiver audio dropping out

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Calvert, Dec 27, 2002.

1. Jeff Calvert

Jeff Calvert Extra

My brother appears to be having some problems with his Sony receiver(1 1/2 year old HTiB). Starting a couple of days ago, the receiver would periodically shut off then immediately power back on during DVD playback. He is using a Toshiba SD-3800 DVD player. Does anyone know what could be the problem and is there a solution?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Mike_P

Mike_P Agent

I would look for a short or intermittent short in a speaker or the speaker cable. You may have a strand or 2 of wire touching the other wire/terminal. This could cause the protection circuit of the receiver to shut it down. Try disconnecting the speakers one at a time at the back of the receiver to see if one of them is the culprit.

I suppose it could also be a problem with the power going into the receiver. Have you added anything to the circuit the receiver is on in the last couple of days? Could be a brownout, too. Check the voltage with a meter if you have one. Are any other components plugged in to the same circuit doing strange things?

Most likely it is a problem in the receiver.

3. Jeff Calvert

Jeff Calvert Extra

He has placed a small refrigerator and microwave in a closet in the room(room is 20ft x 15ft), but they are plugged into an outlet in the closet of another room. Could these appliances be a culprit?

Now that you mention it, I vaguely remember some people mentioning the protection mode in Sony receivers when there is a short.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    If he turns it down, does it still do this?

What has changed in the system since it started doing this?

5. Jeff Calvert

Jeff Calvert Extra

He has been listening at moderate levels and it still happens. From what he said, it appears to be when the compressor in the mini-fridge kicks on. He decided to unplug the refridgerator to test, and the receiver doesn't shut off. So it appears to be a power spike in that circuit when the refridgerator is plugged in.

6. Bill.P

Bill.P Extra

This is more likely to be a brownout shutdown by the Sony rather than a spike. I'm guessing the fridge starts, and voltage drops to below 90VAC.
    You can
    1)Put the fridge on a different circuit.
    2)Improve the wiring to the fridge.
    or
    3)Get an online UPS for the stereo.
    -Bill

7. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Put the stereo on another circuit AND get a line conditioner.