Sony Rear Projection and Computer Connection Question (not usual q)

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Wes_R, Sep 4, 2004.

1. Wes_R

Wes_R Agent

I got a question.. i got a sony 51" coming sunday. If im not satisfied with it i'll swap it for a tosh.

Now, i do plan on using it as my computer monitor as well..
    In my computer i have a GFTi500.

This is the situation.. I leave my computer on 24/7 that way i can just jump on it whenever, monitor wakes up and i can do my things..

I wanna be able to do this with my new TV, except for the fact i know it doesnt have wakeup capability.

Kinda hard for me to explain.. Turning the TV off with the computer still on.. Is that bad? Basically, i want my computer on as usual 24/7 but be able to safely switch video sources and turn the tv off with saftely while the computer still on.

2. SimiA

SimiA Second Unit

The short answer is No.
    It would be like any other peripheral you had connected to your tv. As long as the tv is off, no problem.
    Vb

3. Wes_R

Wes_R Agent

cool! So what about refresh rates and resolutions via the video card, or will it automatically just choose a set thrugh the gpu and tv??

4. SimiA

SimiA Second Unit

I would choose the resolution that's the res of your set.
    You should be able to set the refresh rate with your vid card.
    Vb

5. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

You can turn the TV on or off any time while the computer is running.

Even though TV sets are left on in stores all day, I would not want to leave it on all day and all night at home when it is not being used. It might not overhead dangerously but it could be operating at higher than ideal internal temperatures when left on for long periods. Also a large CRT RPTV probably draws somewhat more electricity than an ordinary monitor.

A CRT based TV, even an HDTV, probably displays only 640 x 480 worth of computer desktop when used as a computer monitor. Most of us are accustomed to 1024 x 768 computer resolution and the reduced quantity of visible material when running at 640 x 480 is quite crippling when trying to do serious computing.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm