What's new

Sony RDR-GX300 (1 Viewer)

Kevin Goodwin

Stunt Coordinator
Anybody try one of these out yet? I got one at Best Buy for $360, after price matching CC, and adding on the 10% preferred customer discount. I thought about getting the GX7 model for $299, but I liked that the new model burns any type of disc, and figured the next generation model might have less bugs.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
Kevin, I just picked one of these up last night so I haven't had much time to play with it yet. This is new to me and I didn't do too much research beforehand. I think I stood there for probably 20 min. trying to decide what blank media to try.

Seeing as your post is almost 2 weeks old, what are your impressions?

Kevin Goodwin

Stunt Coordinator
It's great so far. I've tried DVD+RW's, +R's, and -R's, and all have burned fine. The quality looks really good off my DirecTivo. The menus are really slick on this machine, but then, my other DVD player is a 1998 Pioneer 414. It just seems like a pretty nice machine, overall so far.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
I bought DVD+R & DVD+RW discs to try and have so far only tried the +RW. The +RW recordings play fine on my other Sony deck but haven't tried it on any other players yet. As far as playing DVDs a lot of the features are different from my old S360 and it's going to take some getting used to.

What is your experience with the fan? When I've had the deck turned on for a few hours the fan has come on. I guess if it only comes on every few hours that's not too bad.

Bryan_P

Stunt Coordinator
They have this player for about $324 at Everything 4 Electronics. It seems like a really good player for the price, with some really nice features. Do you guys still like yours? Does anyone else have any comments on this player? I'm leaning towards getting it since I've had good luck with Sony, so any other input would be much appreciated. Thanks.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
Still haven't really played around with it too much but I'm happy so far. I've only recorded on the +R & +RW discs. Want to check out the -RW VR mode. I've recorded some football in 3 hr. mode and it's not too bad but you definitely see digital artifacting. The 1, 1.5 & 2 hr modes do quite well. I assume the quality is on par with other units/brands.

Haven't had a chance yet to check compatibility, other than the fact that everything plays fine in the S360.

I need to ditch analog cable. Man it's brutal.

Bryan_P

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, Brett. By the way, if you're looking to switch to digital cable, I wouldn't recommend Comcast if it's in your area. What a complete joke. Go with the dish if Comcast is your only cable choice.

BTW, is there a variable record length mode? For instance, can you record for 2.5 hours if you want?

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
As far as I know there isn't a varible record length mode. 1, 1.5, 2, 3, 4 & 6 hr modes is pretty flexible but a "varible" mode (or even 2.5 hr mode) would be great for 2+ hr movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks