What's new

Sony quality dropping fast? (1 Viewer)

Ryan DC

Agent
I'll add my 2cents!

I just recently received my 4es and right out of the box it had some finger prints on the front of it (I guess due to testing and or the packaging person). The lower front door panel that flips down near the bottom of the dts 96/24 logo has some faint vertical scratches and on the very side of the trim piece are some scratches. Other than that the rest of the receiver is flawless. The box it came in looks like new and hasn't been opened before unless they re-boxed the thing?

After buying many sony products like a 32 in tv (after owning it for 6 yrs it now has faint vertical lines showing on the screen in near black scenes), dvd-sp360(check audioreview.com to see the many complaints on this dvd player although mine still works fine), vcr(had some problems but was resolved with service), ps2(first ps2 could not read blue discs but returned it and got a new one that does), various walkmans and portable cd players.

This is the 3rd Sony I have received straight out of the box with quality problems unless the newest additon of my receiver had been re-packaged in a new box? So With my latest purchase and past I'm a little bit disappointed in Sony's quality control. That especially of my 4es because of some blemishes.

Alex Dydula

Stunt Coordinator
Everybody's Stuff breaks down sooner or later, I have a $2000 Denon CD Deck that is finally doing wierd stuff only after 6 years!!

I have has SONY tv-s, receivers for years wihtout a problem...

Alex

JackS

Supporting Actor
I personally feel that ES products are a great starting point for comparison shopping. I do not buy every thing that is Sony ES but I will always compare the product to a simular product from another company. Prices must be compared to prices, i.e. $2k ES products should be compared to other $2k products. ES receivers can be compared to anything within their price range and final choices should be made on an individual basis as to ones personal perception of quality and value and finally needs. These are my perceptions and may not be your perceptions. If in the end we get very close to exactly what we want, we have accomplished our goals in this very subjective and over opinionated thus useless argument concerning Hi-Fi. Trust your judgment rather than the opinions of others . I know this sounds like a preach, but it's common sense to enjoy the things we buy and pay less attention to those who would dare to insist we made huge mistakes. All this stuff works well, and what works best for you is your decision.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Someone correctly posted above that breakdowns happen to almost every manufacturer that makes electronic equipment but Sony ends up taking this beating primarily due to it's lack of a serious image amongst audiophiles.
Well I am not so sure this is true anymore given the great offering of Super Audio and their recently acclaimed high end speakers. Also, the 999ES is getting rave reviews from the audiophile press, not just on video but also audio quality.
My Sony SCD-777ES SACD player is the pride of my system and has been reliable after three years and three large moves.
:)

NickSP

Supporting Actor
Ryan, That does not sound right. My 4ES bought from the Good Guys had absolutely no fingerprints, let alone scratches or other problems. Where did you buy it from and was it an authorized dealer?

Ryan DC

Agent
NickSP,

I ordered it from jandr and had them price match much lower than their list price of $700 w/o shipping. Is it possible they gave me a restocked model since they do state that in their policy they accept returns and I got for a lower price? As I said the box was new and un-opened and I can't understand why it had fingerprints on it when it's supposedly new other than it coming from the packaging person at the plant. I still have about 25 days to return it but to ship it back would be $50. Is there anyway I can find out if it's a restocked item? If it is in fact a new unit I would be willing to accept the defects since I got a lower price on it.

NickSP

Supporting Actor
Ryan, I believe J&R is an authorized Sony ES dealer and maybe you should not worry too much about it. Make sure the serial number is not tampered with and you should be OK. :emoji_thumbsup:

JackS

Supporting Actor
Ryan- It is my belief than your unit is brand-new. My sister-in-law works for Sony and I've been told that any return, opened or unopened, would never again be sold as new. Once a pkg. leaves the store, it will be considered used or open box or demo but never again, new. My bro gets his brand new TV's this way. TV's are sold and the buyer, for whatever reason, returns the item unopened. Sony has an annual empolyee's sale on just such items. I would suspect many or most of the major mfg's have the same or a very simular policy. I would call J&R and let them know about the blemishes on your new receiver. It's possible that they could be very accomadating and offer an exchange at no charge including shipping. It never hurts to ask. Best of luck, Jack

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
JR/OADES/6th Ave/ONE CALL have always treated me right. Give them a call, and they are all authorized dealers for everything they sell.
AND/// PS//// The Sony ES line has been good so far for me as well as their digital Mavica cameras.
Customer service can be a challange with Sony.:D :D

SvenS

Second Unit
Just because Sony is the largest electronics manufacturer in the world doesnt mean they're product has better reliability or is necessarily better. General Motors is the number one car maker but that doesnt mean their cars are superior. Even though I like GM cars
No, what it means is if Sony was selling all garbage that broke down constantly they would never have become the larest Consumer Electronics manufacturer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks