Sony quality? Concerned about new DVD player decision...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Taylor, Sep 16, 2002.

1. David Taylor

David Taylor Agent

I'm going to be buying a new DVD player today or tommorow. I want to go with a 5-disc changer (although its not totally necessary). I also want to go ahead and get a progressive scan unit even though I do not yet have an HD TV.

I am looking at the Sony 655 changer. The price is right. However, I've heard some concerns in the past about the build quality of some Sony products. I've had some friends that had theirs break in less than a year. I'm not trying to start a flame war, but is this an issue? I've heard some low-end Sony DVD players were unreliable/broke easily. Any comments?

Also, any other personal recommendations? I see alot of recommendastions of the Panasonic units, but as these do not have coax digital audio outputs, I cannot get one. I currently have a Toshiba changer, but it is SO picky about the discs (i.e. 1 fingerprint throws it off) that I have to get something else. The ability to play dirty discs is a must (I have 2 kids) and the "Precision Drive" system advertised on the Sony seems to be the ticket if it does what it claims. Anyone know?

I know the post was sort of all over the place. Any input would be appreciated.

David

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

David, Sony certainly has had reliability problems with some its DVD players, though so have many manufacturers. Sony's players from the last year and this year seem to be much better in terms of reliability than the models from two years ago. In my view, the 'NC655P is a good value in that you get a lot of good features for the money. Build quality also looks good for the price. The only thing Sony left out on the 'NC655P is SACD, but that doesn't affect it's merit as a DVD player. In the end, the 'NC655P certainly isn't the only player at its price point that is one might consider, but it is a strong contender in my opinion.

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

If you take good care of the player, don't overuse it in a single session, and keep it dust-free, you should do fine. Sony is no more nor no less reliable than any of the other major OEMs.

4. JimmyK

JimmyK Second Unit

Jim
    My personal experience with Sony has not been good in terms of reliability. I've had much better luck with Pioneer. I've also noticed that the Pioneer players I've had have been great handling scratched or dirty discs. If you can, take some scratched/dirty discs with you so you can see what players do better in that regard.

Perhaps statistically Sony's reliability record is on par with the other big names, but that has not been my experience with Sony products I've purchased.

JimmyK

5. Joe Tilley

Joe Tilley Supporting Actor

I have a Sony DVP-C650D that is going on three years old know that has seen more than its fair share of use between my wife my two boys & I we have put 22,226 hours of use on it now & havent had a problem out of it yet.