PSP sound core:
Reconfigurable DSPs
128 bits bus
166 MHz @ 1.2V
5 Giga operation/sec
CODECS
3D sound, Multi Channel
Synthesizer, Effecter

"Sony had claimed that the PSP would have one 32-bit MIPS R4000 CPU at E3 last year. Sony has now claimed that they will run two 32-bit MIPS R4000 CPUs instead. The handheld will also feature an Embedded Wireless LAN 802.1.

The button layout is said to be the same as the Sony trademarked layout, featuring the triangle, circle, square, and x buttons. The games are also said to be controlled with an analog stick."

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor
Pocket IGN has a more in-depth article regarding the PSP's specs. A prototype will be unveiled at next year's E3 (May 2004), with the final design expected at the 2004 Tokyo Game Show (September 2004).

Kudos to SONY in their decision to go with a single analogue thumb pad (probably similar to the one used in the Neo Geo Pocket Color, which I still miss ).

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
WIll probably be a while before we see a final mock up. The specs look amazing, but with all that happening inside I worry about battery life, size, and price. WIth this kind of power going on inside, it cant be cheap to make. And what size are others thinking this will be? And price? I am a little more excited for this now, but I wanna see it and what games are coming, and a price, before I get serious about one.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Also as they get faster and faster processors in these portables they have to be worrying about heat. There are just too many questions still.

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
The article in The Toronto Star today said that when it is released, they expect it to cost around $350 CDN. Pretty damn expensive for a handheld...

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
I thought one of the major gripes with development teams about the PS2 was that it had two CPUs. Now they make their handheld have the same thing?

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
they expect it to cost around $350 CDN. Pretty damn expensive for a handheld...
But it also functions as a portable mp3 player. Portable digital music + powerful gaming handheld and that price seems pretty reasonable to me.

Bruce_S

Second Unit
The article in The Toronto Star today said that when it is released, they expect it to cost around $350 CDN. Pretty damn expensive for a handheld...
Just curious, how much is that in USD? I'm guessing $250-$299? Anyways - Sony probably won't release the price until next May at E3, when it displays the PSP. Everything else will be speculation.

I have a feeling it's going to be around $150-$199, once PSP is introduced. The specs is very impressive and we'll see how Nintendo will conteract with their next GBA.

Time will tell...

-bruce

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
any portable over $100 willhave a tough time sellng as well as needed. That worries me with a price tag rumored that high.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
If it's anything more that $100 forget it, I won't buy one. I don't care what "extra stuff" it can do. I buy portables for gaming.

They should make a base machine that has the hardward for everything else but by default only plays games and only costs $100. Then if you want to play mp3's on it you need to buy a plug-in chip or module that you need to snap in place under the batter that enables mp3 ability. Want movies too? Another module, snap it in place.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
The MP3s and movies are all software driven and decoded by the main CPU. Nothing big.

If they can't bring it in at $149 they won't stand a chance at killing Gameboy, and I give it only a 50/50 shot at survival period

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
I wasn't aware that it was able to play MP3's and such. Regardless though, anything more than $149.99US, I don't see it taking off... or surpassing GameBoy anyways.

Good luck to Sony though. I'd love to see Nintendo get some real competition in the handheld area. I'm sure that handheld gaming could have been a lot further along by now, if it wasn't for the fact that Nintendo has been left virtually unchallenged since the launch of the original GameBoy.

Krystian C

Stunt Coordinator
This is the scoup from www.the-magicbox.com

PlayStation Meeting 2003: SCE revealed details of the PlayStation Portable system (PSP). The PSP will consist of two 32-bit MIPS R4000 processors, both run at 10 times the clock speed of PSone, and a 4.5" TFT LCD display in 16:9 ratio. PSP will have a GPU which can process 3D graphics and surface drawing with numerous effects, such as morphing and tessellation. In addition, the machine will have USB 2.0, 802.11 wireless LAN and infrared communication supports. Here are the full specs:

PlayStation Portable Specs

CPU Core MIPS R4000 32-bit core
128-bit Bus
333MHz, 1.2V
8MB eDRAM main memory
2.6GB/sec Bus Bandwidth
I-Cache, D-Cache
2.6GFlops, FPU, VFPU (Vector Unit)
3D-CG extened instructions

Media Engine

MIPS R4000 32-bit core
333MHz, 1.2V
128-bit bus
2MB eDRAM sub memory
90nm CMOS manufacturing process

Graphics Core 1
2MB VRAM
5.3Gbps bus bandwidth
3D Curved Surface + 3D Polygon
Compressed Texture
Hardware Clipping, Morphing, Bone
Hardware Tessellator
Bezier, B-Spline (NURBS)
- reduce program, data,
- reduce memory footprint & bus traffic

Graphics Core 2
Rendering Engine + Surface Engine
256-bit bus, 166MHz, 1.2V
2MB VRAM
5.3Gbps bus bandwidth
664M pixels/sec fill rate
Max. 33M polygons / sec
24-bit full color

Sound Core
VME (Virtual Mobile Engine)
166MHz, 1.2V
128-bit bus
5 billion operations / second
3D Sound, 7.1 Channel
Support ATRAC3 Plus, AAC, MP3
Reconfigurable DSP engine

Media
UMD; Universal Media Disc, 60mm diameter
660nm Laser Diode
1.8GB Dual Layer
11Mbps transfer rate
Shock Proof
Secure ROM by AES
Unique Disc ID

Display
4.5" TFT LCD with 16:9 widescreen display
480 x 272 pixels, 24-bit full color

Communication

Wireless LAN (802.11) [Hotspots, Home Server, ...]
IrDA infrared wireless communication [PSP, Mobile Phone,...]
USB 2.0 [PSP, PS2, PC, ...]
Memory Stick

Controller
- directional pad, analog stick
- circle, cross, triangle, square, L1, R1, Start, Select buttons

Misc MPEG4 AVC Decoder
Rechargeable Lithium ion battery
AV input / output
Headphone output

Launch Schedule
Prototype: E3 2004 in May 2004
Title Lineup: Tokyo Game Show 2004
Worldwide Launch: Q4 2004

Programming
Similar to the Original PlayStation
PSP Libraries
Middleware

Sample Code
Simple Programmable Field
* Media Engine and VME/AVE are not user programmable.

If this is the case, you could probably even use them as movie playes. With a 1.8gb disc, you could likely have a mini-dv movie collection start to hit the market. If they allow someway to write this mini disc on conventional dvd burners, you will likely see them compete head to head with MP3 players on the market, even if the price point is $250 usd.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
This also has a year and a half to come out.

In the newest EGM, there is a quote from a Sony rep that pretty much says they are not competing against the GBA and that the unit won't be able to be physically treated as such (most likely because of the disc-based drive). It's aimed squarely at people who have enough cash to buy something like this.

John Kilroy

Stunt Coordinator
Sony hasn't stated to what extent they will ruggedize the PSP, but you are probably correct. For children, who are prone to dropping, spilling, etc., the GBA will still be the best choice. Not to mention all the Nintendo franchises that will probably never be on the PSP.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks