Sony PSP and Gamecube DS Pics

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Scott Bourden, May 11, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Scott Bourden

Scott Bourden Second Unit

Along with the buildup over Zelda, it looks like the Gameboy DS has made an appearence as well, with Mario Kart utilizing the duel screens, as well as the third shot being of the new Metroid.

I know I was unimpressed with the duel screen concept upon announcement, but after seeing some action shots, I am actually a little excited. Hopefully it's mix of performance for the doller can compete with the PSP, which, spec wise, seems to be crushing it, though for what is expected to be a much larger price.

http://www.newfoundwang.com/pics/Sony%20PSP/gbds.jpg

http://www.newfoundwang.com/pics/Sony%20PSP/gbds2.jpg

http://www.newfoundwang.com/pics/Sony%20PSP/gbds3.jpg

And not to be outdone, Sony has released some new promo shots of their PSP, with GT4 no less. While it might "only" have a single screen, that 16:9 ratio for a handheld has me excited.

Who knows, if they make a set top PSP game player, all the games could be native 16:9, which would be nice.

http://www.newfoundwang.com/pics/Sony%20PSP/psp1.jpg

http://www.newfoundwang.com/pics/Sony%20PSP/psp2.jpg

http://www.newfoundwang.com/pics/Sony%20PSP/psp3.jpg

http://www.newfoundwang.com/pics/Sony%20PSP/psp4.jpg

http://www.newfoundwang.com/pics/Sony%20PSP/psp5.jpg

Exciting time to be a gamer, that is certain.

2. Bruce_S

Bruce_S Second Unit

I'm sold on the PSP. It's more appealing to me than the DS b/c of its versatility. PSP will be able to play mp3, movies, and games. That is what I'm looking for in my portable entertainment. In addition, the graphic is close to the PS2 comparable to the DS graphic which is just better than N64. I rather spend $20 for a N64.. haha

Now, I just hope the price is reasonable. If the DS goes for $149 -- which is pretty hefty price for an old school graphic of N64. My ideal price of the PSP is $199 but no more than $250.

I have a feeling Sony will take a financial lost like the PS2 to grab market share from Nintendo and make money from royalities.

3. Scott L

Scott L Producer

4. RANDY FISHER

RANDY FISHER Second Unit

This doesn't even look fair. Sony is going to wipe the floor with Nintendo on this one!

Randy

5. Jonathan Carter

Jonathan Carter Supporting Actor

No way they sell enough of the PSP to worry about. No sane parent will be willing to drop $$200-$300 on a handheld game system for their kids. Sure, plenty of us grownups will buy them for ourselves (not me, I like the DS and it's price way better), but the handheld market is very dependent on kids, much more than the console market is.

I do like the widescreen on the PSP but who in their right mind would try and watch a 2 hour movie on such a dinky screen. That's a headache waiting to happen. Everytime I see these little gadgets that try to do everything all at once like the PSP is trying to do, they fail. If they would just stick to games and a lower price point they would be much more competition than they are going to be for Nintendo.

6. RANDY FISHER

RANDY FISHER Second Unit

"but the handheld market is very dependent on kids"

I think your right about the current state of hand held gaming but the future will change the demographic just like the console industry did when Sony got into that market back in the 90's. This will be marketed at both kids and adults. With all the emphasis these days on wireless and portable entertainment technology Sony' seems poised to release the right product at the right time. Games, music, movies wireless connectivity all in one device. If they keep the price point low I don't see how they can possible lose with it. I also think the screen is the best I have ever seen on a portable device like this.

Randy

7. PerryD

PerryD Supporting Actor

Considering the handheld market has a much longer shelf life (the original Gameboy lasted what, from 1989 to 1998 until the Gameboy color came out and even that was basically the same machine very slightly souped up), the PSP may be designed to last for many years, so the debut price of $250 (or more) will be just for a year before mainstream pricing occurs. Nintendo made billions on its overpricing of the gameboy over the years since it had no competition. Now either the quality is going to go up for the same price, or the price is going to come way down, just like how Nintendo is having to compete in the console market.

8. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

BUT... you've gotta remember. There's an ENTIRE generation (mine) that has grown up with handheld systems (gameboy and game gear namely).

I am an AVID Nintendo fan, I've owned every one of their systems (well, except Virtual Boy [​IMG] ) and I have owned every incarnation of Gameboy from the brick onward.

That said... I am getting a PSP. Those that were kids when Gameboy originally came out and have been buying the different versions for years are now about my age, 20, have jobs and don't need to worry about their parents buying them game consoles.

DS just seems like a flop out the door and I can't see the dual screens getting past the gimmick phase. [​IMG]

9. Dean Martin

Dean Martin Stunt Coordinator

Wow, the DS really looks antiquated, and I don't just mean graphically. The exterior of the system looks bland and old fashioned and based on the graphics I'm wondering what the point of this system is if it isn't meant to be the successor to the Game boy.

10. Neil M

Neil M Stunt Coordinator

It's just another Virtua Boy. Nintendo is hoping that the gimmick will work this time. Personally, I think this isn't going to do well even though the concept is really cool.

Sony has a long way to go. Nintendo is already rumored to be working on a successor for the gameboy, possibly one that will play discs from the next system. Plus, as has been mentioned before, the handheld market is a kid dominated market. Sony has a lot to overcome. Don't be surprised if this one fails as well.

11. Troy LaMont

Troy LaMont Supporting Actor

I'm in love!!!! [​IMG]

That is one SEXY AZZ handheld!

Let's hope they will allow you to customize contend on the UMDs so you can add your own library of media!!!!

If so, I'm already sold!!!!

Troy

12. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

I still don't believe that it will play movies teh way everyone takes it to mean. How? I highly doubt Sony will let you dump movies onto media cards yourselves. Yeah, that'll go over well with their movie publishing and distribution division!

I don't see Sony supporting DIVX or MPEG4 movies on memory or UMD cards.

13. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

14. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

Moving to Game Hardware. That PSP looks pretty slick.

15. Mike Miskulin

Mike Miskulin Second Unit

Yeah, it sounds like there will be seperate movie and music releases for the PSP a la MD and VCD. Could be cool, especially for the "added content" they're supposedly putting into the music releases. I have a feeling it'll turn out like MD for me, where I bought three commercially produced discs and then just recorded the rest from my existing collection. To do this right, and to get the penetration they should want, Sony will have to develop a writable medium. Perhaps a seperate burner that can fit into an open bay or connect via USB 2.0/Firewire on a home computer. Obvious piracy issues aside, these feature (aside from the games) will make the sytem sell like hotcakes!

(do people buy lots of hotcakes nowadays?)

mike.

16. Phil Kim

Phil Kim Stunt Coordinator

I heard PSP will likely list for $400 in the US.

17. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

All I can say is, you're not going to see Sony letting you copy movies onto your own UMDs.

I know I won't be re-buying a DVD I already have on UMD so I can watch it on the PSP. Don't know about everyone else.

18. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

I saw this at GameSpot:

As for the PSP, I don't expect more info until the Tokyo Game Show this September.

19. Jeff_Standley

Jeff_Standley Supporting Actor

Yeah right, $199.99 for the DS. I wont be picking that up for a while.

20. Ryan Wishton

Ryan Wishton Screenwriter

$400 for the PSP? [​IMG]

I planned on getting one, but I dont know for $400. The battery life is pretty bad as well. For $400 I would expect some longevity.

I thought this played movies? You mean you have to re-buy them in a new format?

Skip that. I will stick with a tv for viewing movies.

The DS seems to be over-priced at $199 as well. But, it's suggested that will not be the final price. I planned on getting one of those as well