1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Sony PS5

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Bryan^H, Oct 10, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Lead Actor

I find this two different types of consumers. The people that still own their PS1, and PS2 (and beyond) discs. Which falls into the video gaming niche (extremely small) market. And those casual gamers that grew up with the PlayStation, and have long since sold, or gotten rid of their old games, but now want to share their gaming memories with their kids, and family, or just to revisit their past in a simple streamlined way with the PS Now. Easy, and non-messy. One group are hardcore collectors holding onto their past with physical discs, and the other could care less about owning any 20 year old game on disc, but may still enjoy playing an old game now, and then.

2. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Russell - Sony said that all PS4 games will work on PS5, however it would require a lot of engineering work to get any PS3/2/1 games from PSN purchases to natively run on PS5. Additionally, there are potentially some DRM issues with older games that would hinder old PSN games from being put right onto PS Now. If you pay for PS Now and a game you previously bought is currently on PS Now then your previous purchase wouldn't matter since...you have the game as part of your PS Now sub anyway.

3. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    Ah, I was under the impression that you still had to do some rental gimmick on PS Now, that you couldn't play anything and everything for a monthly price like watching a movie on Netflix. Or maybe I never understood it in the first place since it seemed too expensive at launch to justify just to play games I already own. :)

4. Message #44 of 60 Dec 4, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    LeoA

LeoA Cinematographer

Leo
    I'm not interested in how many people would utilize backwards compatibility. I just know that I sure as heck would.

If Sony was to make this compatible with all Playstation discs, if PS1 and PS2 games were rendered in high-definition (And hopefully be region free and with perspective correction for PS1 games), all PS3 downloads, and hopefully at least a substantial percentage of PSP and Vita downloads, I'd be lining up to buy it at launch if at all possible.

Would be a dream machine. The only thing that would stink would be having to go back and rebuy a portion of my Xbox and GameCube libraries to get PS2 versions. I'd probably start with classic compilations that I bought on Xbox (Atari Anthology, Capcom Classics Collection 1 and 2, both Namco Museums, and the Midway Arcade Treasures trilogy).

Sadly though, I don't believe they'll go past PS4 compatibility. And even then, Sony clarified recently that it isn't necessarily going to be 100% (Back in October on Twitter, Sony said their team was busying themselves with verifying if they can secure full PS4 backwards compatibility; That indicates that things are still up in the air and not finalized.).

PS1 and PS2 emulation on PS5 is a trivial issue. The biggest expense if they were to include support for original discs would be the CD laser that apparently was omitted from the PS4's optical drive.

Also to clarify, nobody is talking about PS5 natively playing these games. They would run via software emulation just as PS1 games did on every PS3, every PSP, every Vita, and even late PS2 slims.

And PS3 was emulating one of the two major PS2 chips just months after launch (I forget if it was the CPU or GPU), eventually was fully emulating the PS2 with the arrival of PS2 Classics on PSN, and the PS4 has been emulating PS2 games for several years now.

The only technical challenge would be PS3 emulation, but the PS5 has the horsepower to accomplish it if Sony so desires.

5. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Russell - PS Now started out as a streaming rental service and I believe some games are still treated that way but there's hundreds of games from PS3 and PS4 that are now in the subscription package. The games that would require specific individual rental fees are predominantly newer games, any old PSN games are basically in the subscription.

Leo - I would love backward compatibility and there's a good chance I would use it (since I did on my PS2 and PS3). But I think we would agree that the business incentive to put real money into it is kind of weak. Yes, I would assume software emulation for PS1/2/3 but that's still effort needed to get that up and running on whatever the PS5 hardware ends up being.

Russell G likes this.
  6. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Lead Actor

7. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    Interesting, but I'm not holding my breath. Also, no mention of PSN purchases/digital games. I would hope they are included!

8. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

I just cannot see BC on the PS5 when Sony is running PS Now for legacy games.

9. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Honestly, I'm skeptical of Sony having full disc-based BC going back to PS1, but I would imagine that there is still a big enough market for PS Now to exist alongside full BC. The $10/month subscription gets you hundreds of games so allowing someone to play Dark Cloud 2 from the original PS2 disc is not going to be the thing that loses Sony that one PS Now sub.

10. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Lead Actor

PS4 BC makes sense, but as for the earlier consoles?
    I don't see the point actually. I honestly believe that ship has sailed.

11. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

Yeah. I could see BC for PS4 games making sense, at least for the first gen of the PS5. BC for PS1, 2 and 3 does not make sense to me, since SONY is running a subscription service, PS Now, for legacy games. If that service is not doing well then what purpose would be served by the expense of adding BC to the PS5 for PS1, 2 and 3?

12. Message #52 of 60 Dec 7, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
    LeoA

LeoA Cinematographer

Leo
    I wouldn't get too excited about that. The source telling people to hold on to their discs shortly later also teased a bit announcement coming from Sony last Tuesday, leading people to think it involved his alleged backwards compatibility claim.

Yet Tuesday came and went with no such news, or any big PS5 news at all that I was aware of. He's someone writing what he thinks will excite us to get views I suspect, rather than an actual person with inside knowledge.

It's no threat to Playstation Now if this were to happen. It's essentially a goodwill gesture if it were to happen, rather than being implemented because Sony actually thinks many millions will jump back in time to play decades old Playstation discs.

Few held on to their discs, few would start buying up lots of used discs online, and I don't think you can even go past PS3 at GameStop (Although they do have a limited inventory for certain classic platforms that they sell online). This would simply be a marketing ploy to neuter Microsoft's backwards compatibility efforts and to excite people, because they know it sounds good even though they also know few would make heavy use of it.

As such it would pose no threat to remasters, no threat to selling emulated games digitally, no threat to selling a subscription based online service, etc. It's goodwill and I'm sure Sony is smart enough to realize that probably less than 5% of PS5 buyers would regularly utilize PS1 and PS2 disc compatibility if it were implemented.

The total would be somewhat more for PS3 compatibility I suspect with it being younger, many games still being quite pretty, the online store still being around (Which also means more $$$ for Sony and publishers), and more people still having PS3 discs collecting dust and with new and used PS3 games more widely available in the marketplace.

PS4 though is all that matters in practical terms, alas. We're at a point now where games look so good that I think we'll see record numbers of people taking advantage of the ability of their next generation Xbox and Playstation systems to still play Xbox One and Playstation 4 games as people wrap up games in their collections, revisit past favorites, or catch up on stuff they've missed.

13. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    Though if the PS5 does play PS1 discs, it would mean it could play CD's again, I think? :P

LeoA likes this.
  14. Jeff Cooper

Jeff Cooper Cinematographer

Even if less than 1% actually used it, just being able to announce that PS5 would be compatible with the entire playstation library would be enough for everyone to declare that Sony "won" this generations console war.

LeoA and Bryan^H like this.
  15. LeoA

LeoA Cinematographer

Leo
    Sounds like PS4 even could if Sony so desired someday. Saw a breakdown a day or two ago of a PS4 laser mechanism and the laser for CD's is actually present after all.

They must've wanted to keep that option open for audio CD's and potentially PS1 discs (And certain PS2 titles also were released on the CD format). Just too bad they never took advantage.

I wonder if my slim from last year even has the CD laser. I assume they probably cut the hardware for it at some point after it became clear they weren't ever going to utilize it.

16. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I agree wholeheartedly with Leo on this. Sony could say they also have total backward compatibility so that it's one less feather in Xbox's cap. And like I said earlier, if PS Now is $10/month for access to a few hundred PS4/3/2/etc. games, I don't see a person saying "screw $10/month, I can play PS1 Ridge Racer on disc now!" The value proposition for PS Now is pretty great even if you own a lot of old games, and most PS5 buyers probably don't own them.

There are also rights issues that would keep some old games from getting on PS5 through PS Now, but wouldn't be affected by BC being built into the console. Just as a simple example, the old Tony Hawk's Pro Skater games will probably never come to a modern console in their original incarnations because of the rights for the songs and people in the game, but if your old PS1 disc can be popped right into the system...

That said, this then brings up a few questions. How are they emulating the old hardware? (Most likely, they're using the PS1 and PS2 emulators that they've already developed for the PS3/4 and have a new one for PS3 games.) Did they get around the laser issue that they brought up during the PS4 generation? (This is probably a $0.50 part that they threw in or maybe it's an external disc drive or something like that.) Does this mean CD support? (Most likely not, since that's more of an issue for paying for the license for CD audio and it isn't worth it to them.)

However...this could also just be nothing at all. I don't know if Sony is going to leverage their existing technology and back catalogue to score the easy PR win over MS or if they're going to focus on the future and leave it to PS Now to pick up the slack.

17. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Producer

Joel Henderson
    The only thing I'm certain of is UHD Bly-Ray is not going have a sudden comeback because of the PS5. In fact I'm willing to guarantee it.

Also Sony's backwards compatability has always been generaly questionable as it depends on software instead of hardware to do it. This is why they eventually axed support from later PS3's.

18. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Lead Actor

Weirdly worded statement. 4K disc hasn't gone anywhere. It is growing slowly, and suddenly millions of people will have a UHD player in their home with their PS5. Which isn't going to exactly hurt the format.

19. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

The PS4 can already support HDR and the PS4 Pro supports 4K UHD. The Xbox One S supports HDR and the One X supports 4K UHD.

I imagine the demands of the market for purchasing movies on disc at all will have a greater impact than whether or not people have compatible players in their homes. That said, I think we've gotten to the point where having multiple versions of movies (DVD, Bluray, DVD+Bluray, DVD+Bluray+Digital, 4K UHD Bluray, etc.) is going to confuse people more than if we were still in the Bluray vs. HD-DVD format war. At this point, people will probably opt for a subscription to Disney+ to stream 4K movies instead of buying them. There will always be niche core consumers but the mass market will likely opt for convenience.

20. LeoA

LeoA Cinematographer

Leo
    The Playstation 4 Pro doesn't support 4k UHD discs. 4k resolution support is limited to the gaming side and presumably some streaming apps (I'm just a slim owner, so can't attest to the latter).

The standard Xbox One S supports 4k UHD Blu-Rays.