Sony Projector Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Phil Florian, Jan 4, 2002.

1. Phil Florian

Phil Florian Screenwriter

Howdy,

A friend of mine was offered a chance to purchase the following projector:

Sony Color Video Projector

Model #: VPH722Q/1020Q

Date: 1984

The thing is big as a boat with the three huge glass lenses in front. He was thinking of putting it in his basement for some larger screen projection of flicks, but now is questioning it. It is being offered at $500. He hasn't hooked it up, yet, but just the size of it was daunting to him, as it took up, in his words "half of the room." Do projectors from that era look good with today's DVD's? He would like to save up for a smaller projector, but he has only found decent ones priced at $2500. Is he getting a good deal on this old sucker? It only has hook ups for cable-in (predating S-Video and Component Video by decades, I assume). Any thoughts on this sort of "vintage" equipment?

Thanks in advance!

Phil

2. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Some of the immediate things to look for deficiencies within:
    1. Convergence. After being on for half an hour, will it hold convergence within one scan line even at the corners for both relative bright and relatively dim scenes?
    2. Input jacks. Does it at least have S-video?
    3. Comb filter, needed for broadcasts. It it at least a 3 line adaptive filter and free of noticeable dot crawl?
    4. 16:9 mode. Can I easily reduce the vertical size (picture height) without having to reconverge?
    I would not purchase an older projection TV deficient in these ways.
    Other video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

3. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Chances are ... this thing does not even have video inputs ... only ant ... which means no DVD compatibility without additional hardware purchases ... A box from rat shack to convert composite video to coax ... awful, awful, awful ....

Forget it ... wouldn't pay more than $200 for this dinosaur.

Regards

4. Huey

Huey Agent

The owner should PAY him to haul this monster away [​IMG]

5. Bill Lucas

Bill Lucas Supporting Actor

No, it doesn't have a coaxial input only. Very, very few commercial grade CRT projectors were made with this type of input (most likely none were). It has an RGB input. That said, it's old, the CRTs are probably shot, it's analog only and only scans to 15.75 khz (video only). Used CRT projectors are at the lowest price point I've ever seen and for $1000-$1500 your friend can get a much better buy. Either the seller is ignorant and doesn't know what it is truely worth or he's trying to make extra money off of an unsuspecting and unknowing soul. Regards.

6. Phil Florian

Phil Florian Screenwriter

Whoah...lots of good information. It does have coax, but also those RGB inputs. I especially like the owner having my friend paid to haul it away...very persuasive! [​IMG]
    I shall inform him.
    Ciao!
    Phil

7. Stacy Huff

Stacy Huff Second Unit

There are some people around who refurbish projectors and sell them at good prices -- Curt Palm and Terry Ferentinos. They have email lists of what they have in stock, and for not much more than the guy wants for the 1984 Sony you could get an HD capable projector from one of those guys.