Sony projector $150 - is it worth getting?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by SeanBurnley, Jun 6, 2003.

1. SeanBurnley

SeanBurnley Extra

I just found a Sony Multi cam video projector VPH 1252Q for $150 in the classifieds. Is this projector worth getting just to get my feet wet in FPTV. I know that is hard to determine without all the facts about age and condition of the unit. Would repairs be too costly if it needs it? or maybe old technology. It appears to cost about $4800 new on the web. I'm really not at the stage of buying my FPTV yet and haven't looked at my options even, but at that price should I just get it anyway?

2. Chris Moe

Chris Moe Screenwriter

If the tubes are in good shape that would be a good deal.

$4,800 would be WAY to much to pay for that projector, the last one that sold on eBay went for $350 and that was cheap. Generally speaking $800-1,200 seems to be the going rate for the 1252.

If it does need new tubes CRTcinema.com sells brand new Sony tubes for $615. They also sell used tubes which are guaranteed not to have any wear or burn for $275 each.

What you need to figure out is how many hours are on the unit and if the tubes show any signs of wear/burn. You can check for wear by looking through the lenses with a flashlight but the best way to do it is to take off the lenses, you just need a long phillips screwdriver to do it. Here is a good page to show you what the wear patterns can look like and what to avoid http://home.centurytel.net/rshannon/crtburn.htm

This is a CRT projector so it will require very good light control and will require some setup time from you. I suggest you do some reading over at AVS on this projector. It does make a great starter CRT (I started with a 1272, which is just a bit better than the 1252). For $150 you may to pick it up just so you can resell it for a profit.

Any other questions let me know.

3. JayF

JayF Stunt Coordinator

Sean-
    Definitely a great price if in working order. Even if you had to retube it you'd get a far better image than buying a low-end LCD or DLP projector.