Sony Profits Plummet....

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Mike Brogan, Jul 25, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Mike Brogan

Mike Brogan Second Unit

Saw this on consolegold.com today:

Sony Profits Drop [biz]
    Those crazy Brits at the BBC report this morning that Sony's profits are plummeting. To what degree? Well...sales are down 6.9%, which equates to 1.6 Trillion yen according to this article spotted over at Evil Avatar this morning. Apparently this is attributed to a decline in PS2 and Trinitron sales but as Gone Golder Rob Merritt points out this does coincide with an increase in Xbox sales. The hype engine spins round and round....

Ron Burke
    Director of www.ConsoleGold.com

Links to the 2 articles mentioned above:

Sony profits plunge 98%

and

Microsoft '03 sales, profit surge

Do you think there's any correlation between the two? Or is it a mere coincidence?

2. Rhett_Y

Rhett_Y Screenwriter

Looks like XBOX is on its way to world domination [​IMG]

R~

3. James St

James St Supporting Actor

Total PS2 units sold is around 52 million. PS2 sales are falling because everybody has one. Those who were interested in PS2 already bought one. I think more and more people are going multi console now that prices are starting to fall.

4. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

I like how the consolegold post doesn't mention the reason for sony's drop. A huge restructuring is underway. Profits were only down 6.9%. The 98% drop is because of restructuring not because of horrible sales.

also

5. Mike Brogan

Mike Brogan Second Unit

6. pitchman

pitchman Screenwriter

Gary

7. Scott Van Dyke

Scott Van Dyke Supporting Actor

Just a matter of time till Morgan chimes in...[​IMG]

8. Michael St. Clair

And I thought PS2 sales would be increasing since they keep breaking down. [​IMG]

9. Frank Grimes

Frank Grimes Second Unit

"And I thought PS2 sales would be increasing since they keep breaking down."

Have a lot of PS2's really crapped out? Mine and my old roomates have had a lot of problems (for some reason mine only plays Madden '01, easily the most scratched up game I have). I'd like to have one so my games don't go to waste, but I don't much feel like giving Sony my money if they're going to sell me poorly constructed products.

10. Michael St. Clair

Frank,

I know people who are on their third PS2. I honestly have no idea how typical that is.

11. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

I've had my PS2 for more than a year and a half, and have had no problems whatsoever.

12. Peter_A

Peter_A Second Unit

I had my PS2 since launch day and never had a problem at all.

13. paul h

paul h Supporting Actor

Last year Sony did very very well from the success of Spiderman.. this year they don't have any movies anywhere near that level.

14. Scott Van Dyke

Scott Van Dyke Supporting Actor

15. Sean Eldridge

Sean Eldridge Second Unit

I've had my ps2 since launch. It did break down, but Sony fixed if for free. As long as you haven't screwed around with the hardware, chances are they can fix yours too. For $15 bucks shipping, that ain't too bad.

Sean

16. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

I doubt the loss of profits has much to do with PS2's performance or sales. They make all the money on software sales anyway, whch might be the achilles' heel. Since Vice City, I haven't noticed any red hot must have PS2 titles. Myself and most of my friends are either playing Xbox games lately (KOTOR!), or are still playing Vice City. Due to the world economy (and esp. USA) and it being summer, I suspect people are spending less money on videogames in general right now.

Xbox is doing little better. Console sales have slowed a bit and their "home entertainment' division hasn't made a dime yet off of the xbox. Some recent fresh releases (KOTOR!) might spark some console sales or attach rates, but at best Xbox is a *very* distant 2nd.

Gamecube is doing alright too, although it must be suffering from Sony's lack of new software x10. Viewtiful Joe looks pretty awesome, but other than that I can't think of any must have N titles since Zelda came out.

Sony isn't quaking in their boots yet folks, just a blip on their radar.

17. Ken Chui

Ken Chui Supporting Actor

I have had my PS2 since launch and have yet to encounter any issues (knock on wood [​IMG] ). I make it a policy to buy all of my games and DVDs new, never lend either to family or friends and handle all discs with the utmost care; in so doing, I have never faced a technical issue with any of my consoles (this goes back to my Atari 2600 days. My PONG console was a hand-me-down, so that doesn't count [​IMG] )

18. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

We have one of the first runs of PS2, and it intermittently will give the disc read error for no reason. Sometimes a power cycle helps. Comes from the mechanism that grabs the disc in the middle and spins it not grabbing the discs sometimes, if I remember correctly. I have heard Sony will fix on early-gen PS2s for free, I just haven't gotten around to calling them.

19. Frank Grimes

Frank Grimes Second Unit

Dave, that's pretty much what happened to mine. At first it would give me a disc read error with my some of my DVD's. Then it started creeping into some games, eventually reaching it's current point of playing nothing but Madden 01. Hopefully they do fix early gen PS2's for free (bought mine that first Xmas, where you pretty much had to buy 3 or 4 games with it. Made that money back buying a few copies of that fireworks game online for $20 and returning to Walmart, sans reciept, for $45.)

20. BrianB

BrianB Producer