What's new

Sony Playstation PVR (1 Viewer)

MikeKaz

Stunt Coordinator
Here's big news as far as PVR's go- Sony is releasing a version of its Playstation 2 game console which sports a 120GB hard drive, a TV tuner, a broadband network connector, and a DVD±RW/-R recording drive. The deal with this machine is they basically made a good looking PVR first, and stuff a PS2 in it, since they were able to shrink most of the PS2's main components onto a single chip. This version doesn't have a digital tuner because Sony said they were worried about media protection issues. It will be released by the end of 2003 in Japan.

As far as the long term future is concerned- there is speculation that there will be both a stripped down game-only version of the Playsation 3, and a higher priced version with recording capabilities at its release. This is all part of Sony's plan to eventually have a part in your entire home entertainment experience, from HDTV watching and recording, game playing, DVD watching and recording and internet access all in one box.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...1111028,00.asp

Here are some good photos:

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/do...0528/sony1.htm

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
I thought it had a sattelite tuner in it. Oh well. I'm using my ReplayTV right now. I can't wait to see what is gonna be available on all future game consoles.

MikeKaz

Stunt Coordinator
Is anyone going to wait on a PVR purchase after hearing about this device? It's going to be one of the first with this ability and because Sony is going to highly mass produce it it should still be fairly inexpensive (they'll probably take a hit on its selling price like they did with regular Playstations). Also, if you wouldn't have bought a standalone Playstation 2, if you get this machine, do you think you'll buy Playstation 2 games just to try them out ? (which is what Sony is hoping).

Camp

Senior HTF Member
It's going to be one of the first with this ability and because Sony is going to highly mass produce it it should still be fairly inexpensive (they'll probably take a hit on its selling price like they did with regular Playstations).
I disagree with two points made here.
First, I think it's wrong to say "Sony is going to highly mass produce it". Second, it's not going to be cheap and they won't dare take a hit on the hardware cost to push more of these to the market. You're right, that's very common among game consoles but it's not the case with this unit.

PSX is going to be an upscale product. It is first and foremost a manufacturing and design clinic aimed at reducing costs of technologies Sony intends to employ in PS3. Game console design is all about driving down the cost of the hardware so you don't have to take a hit when selling it. Usually design changes are made within the lifespan of a console (I believe we're on our 3rd PS2 design now). Each new design is cheaper to produce and begins making up for the losses incured in the early days of the console's life cycle. With PSX Sony is begining that design process for Playstation 3 early. Sure the PS3's game-playing guts aren't there yet but the other features they intend to package with PS3 (DVD burner, HD, PVR & audio player features) are.

Beyond that, PSX is a technology statement to consumers. It's a cool looking DVD recorder and music player that just happens to play PS2 games too. They have no need to price it low...it is a trojan horse designed to teach their engineer and design teams how to make the real target (PS3) priced lower.

Finally, PS3 is (depending upon who you ask) 18 months away. PSX won't launch in the US until next year. Sony flooding the market with PSX and then releasing the PS3 in such a close time span makes little sense.

MikeKaz

Stunt Coordinator
We will have to wait and see how many they actually produce. Also, not very many game consoles have included TV tuners and DVD recorders so far, so no one can say for sure what sort of pricing structure they will decide upon. I am speculating that it will be priced low, and several magazines (and the head of Sony Computer Entertainment) are as well.

http://www.gamers.com/news/1400557

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/busin...er_030605.html

Doug Pyle

Second Unit
Real Name
Doug
Yes, this would get me into buying Playstation games, if its execution on the DVD recording and PVR are quality.

Also, coupling the PVR and DVD recording is perfect, Playstation or no. Unless ... will it tamper with/attempt to prevent fair-use home archiving onto DVDs?

Ben_E

Stunt Coordinator
Mod chip will solve that. As it'll also bring back go rent a game, and burn it with your PSX, only this time no need for a computer, you'll be able to do it with 1 machine.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Good find.

The PSX isn't due until Fall 2003 in Japan and next Spring/Summer in the US. That's too far in advance for solid info on pricing -especially for a small Internet retailer. This price, while probably a good guess, is just speculation.

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor
Seeing as the SONY RDR-GX7 DVD recorder has an MSRP of $799.99, a price point of $699.99 (highly speculative, but let's assume it is) would make the PSX quite a bargain. I'm much more inclined to go with PSM magazine's prediction of a ~$999.99 MSRP, due to the sheer number of features that SONY wants to incorporate into this unit.

Ben_E

Stunt Coordinator
Well I wondered how accurate that price was being so far from launch. But dang $799-$999? And I thought $699 was expensive. Hopefully they'll start dropping the price shortly after it comes out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks