Sony Playstation PVR

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by MikeKaz, Jun 4, 2003.

1. MikeKaz

MikeKaz Stunt Coordinator

Here's big news as far as PVR's go- Sony is releasing a version of its Playstation 2 game console which sports a 120GB hard drive, a TV tuner, a broadband network connector, and a DVD±RW/-R recording drive. The deal with this machine is they basically made a good looking PVR first, and stuff a PS2 in it, since they were able to shrink most of the PS2's main components onto a single chip. This version doesn't have a digital tuner because Sony said they were worried about media protection issues. It will be released by the end of 2003 in Japan.

As far as the long term future is concerned- there is speculation that there will be both a stripped down game-only version of the Playsation 3, and a higher priced version with recording capabilities at its release. This is all part of Sony's plan to eventually have a part in your entire home entertainment experience, from HDTV watching and recording, game playing, DVD watching and recording and internet access all in one box.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...1111028,00.asp

Here are some good photos:

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/do...0528/sony1.htm

2. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

I thought it had a sattelite tuner in it. Oh well. I'm using my ReplayTV right now. I can't wait to see what is gonna be available on all future game consoles.

3. MikeKaz

Is anyone going to wait on a PVR purchase after hearing about this device? It's going to be one of the first with this ability and because Sony is going to highly mass produce it it should still be fairly inexpensive (they'll probably take a hit on its selling price like they did with regular Playstations). Also, if you wouldn't have bought a standalone Playstation 2, if you get this machine, do you think you'll buy Playstation 2 games just to try them out ? (which is what Sony is hoping).

4. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

5. MikeKaz

We will have to wait and see how many they actually produce. Also, not very many game consoles have included TV tuners and DVD recorders so far, so no one can say for sure what sort of pricing structure they will decide upon. I am speculating that it will be priced low, and several magazines (and the head of Sony Computer Entertainment) are as well.

http://www.gamers.com/news/1400557

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/busin...er_030605.html

6. Doug Pyle

Doug Pyle Second Unit

Doug
    Yes, this would get me into buying Playstation games, if its execution on the DVD recording and PVR are quality.

Also, coupling the PVR and DVD recording is perfect, Playstation or no. Unless ... will it tamper with/attempt to prevent fair-use home archiving onto DVDs?

7. Ben_E

Ben_E Stunt Coordinator

Mod chip will solve that. As it'll also bring back go rent a game, and burn it with your PSX, only this time no need for a computer, you'll be able to do it with 1 machine.

8. Ben_E

Ben_E Stunt Coordinator

9. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Good find.

The PSX isn't due until Fall 2003 in Japan and next Spring/Summer in the US. That's too far in advance for solid info on pricing -especially for a small Internet retailer. This price, while probably a good guess, is just speculation.

10. Ken Chui

Ken Chui Supporting Actor

Seeing as the SONY RDR-GX7 DVD recorder has an MSRP of $799.99, a price point of $699.99 (highly speculative, but let's assume it is) would make the PSX quite a bargain. I'm much more inclined to go with PSM magazine's prediction of a ~$999.99 MSRP, due to the sheer number of features that SONY wants to incorporate into this unit.

11. Ben_E

Ben_E Stunt Coordinator

Well I wondered how accurate that price was being so far from launch. But dang $799-$999? And I thought $699 was expensive. Hopefully they'll start dropping the price shortly after it comes out.