What's new

SONY PICTURES PRESS RELEASE: Steamboy (1 Viewer)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
"A worthy successor to Akira...only Otomo is capable of pulling off a masterpiece like Steamboy" - Robert Bricken, Anime Insider

"A tour de Force!" - Bill Plympton, Academy of Shorts

"An Instant Classic." - Jay Carr, AM New York

Esteemed Anime Director Katsuhiro Otomo Debuts His First Feature Length Film Since His Breakthrough Akira

STEAMBOY

Featuring the Voice Talents of Anna Paquin, Patrick Stewart and Alfred Molina

Debuting on Director's Cut DVD July 26

Not since the breakthrough release of Akira have anime enthusiasts had such reason to celebrate. From the genre's esteemed creative leader Katsuhiro Otomo (Memories, Akira) comes Steamboy, one of the most elaborate anime features ever created with more than 180,000 drawings and 400 CG cuts. Winner of the Anima't Award for the best animation feature film at the Sitges International Film Festival in Spain, the film is loaded with visually breathtaking animation and features the star studded voice-over talents of Academy Award® winner Anna Paquin (X-Men), Patrick Stewart (Star Trek: The Next Generation) and Alfred Molina (Spider Man 2).

The Director's Cut boasts hours of added value content and includes an exclusive illustration by Otomo which is sure to appeal to fans of anime, sci-fi and film in general. Following on the heels of the film's successful 2005 theatrical release, this must-have Director's Cut DVD will hit stores July 26 from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment ($26.96 SLP).

The studio will also release a Steamboy gift set which includes a 166 page booklet containing character designs, mecha designs and selected storyboard sequences, Steamboy collectible postcards and a special edition 22 page Manga. Also being offered for Katsuhiro Otomo fans is a Collector's box set which includes the Steamboy Director's Cut with Memories. In addition, there will be a 2-pack featuring Steamboy Director's Cut with Metropolis, as well as Metropolis and Cowboy Bebop. Finally, STEAMBOY will also be available on UMD for PSP.

Synopsis:
A science-fiction epic set in Victorian England, Steamboy features an inventor prodigy named Ray Steam who receives a mysterious metal ball containing a new form of energy capable of powering an entire nation. Now this brave, young boy must use it to fight evil, redeem his family, and save London from destruction.

SPECIAL EDITION DIRECTOR'S CUT DVD BONUS FEATURES INCLUDE:
  • Director's Cut of the feature film
  • Exclusive Otomo Illustration
  • "Re-voicing Steamboy" featurette
  • Interview with Katsuhiro Otomo
  • Multi-screen landscape Study
  • Ending Montage
  • Production Drawings
  • Animation Onion Skins
  • Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen Presentation (1.85 aspect ratio)
  • Subtitles: English, French, Spanish and Portuguese
  • Audio: English, Japanese 5.1, French, Spanish, Portuguese Stereo
Rated: PG-13 for action violence
Color / Closed Captioned
Running Time: 126 minutes
DVD SLP: $26.96
Steamboy Gift Set SLP: $49.95
Steamboy Box Set with Memories SLP: $39.95
Metropolis/Cowboy Bebop DVD 2-pack SLP: $39.95

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
WoW
That was fast! Hope this "flies" on the shelves, so we can continue too get great Anime on DVD.
It was released to theater's, March 19th & made $300,000.

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
The two disc set coming to Australia is apparently a Superbit 2-disc set...

http://www10.cd-wow.us/detail_result...uct_code=18033

I see nothing in the release above that mentions a second disc. I hope they're not going to cram it all onto one disc in this country and them flog you a Superbit disc later.

I'm wary of Columbia these days. I hope that our R1 "Director's Cut" won't come up short compared with other regions...

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
The subtitled director's cut played in theaters alongside the theaters in larger US markets, so I imagine the DVD version will have that version.

EnricoE

Supporting Actor

very unlikely as a superbit only has the original movie language in dts + dolby digital and if required a dub in dolby digital. no other languages tracks would be on it.

EnricoE

Supporting Actor

i count a commentarys under special features so this wouldn't be against the rules of superbit's languages ;)

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
Mine got stolen the day we received it...even before watching it!

AaronMan

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
Awesome film, and great audio/visual presentation.

The extras are a little thin. I couldn't give two craps about the re-voicing feature, since I hate dubbing. The interview with Otomo is painfully short for such a fascinating director.

I bought the collector's gift set, and the booklet that comes with it is great. Its like a mini art book.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Yep, I love the various model sheets and design diagrams.

A bit annoyed that the accompanying comic was in Japanese, though.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
anyone here who can compare the way this loks to they way it looked in theaters?

i cant.
the dvd looks very dark.
seems to be a grey tone or tint to the movie.
in door scenes are very hard to see.
even daylight scenes look slightly dull.

guess we wont be getting a htf review.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks