SONY PICTURES PRESS RELEASE: Stand By Me: Deluxe Edition

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Aaron Silverman, Jan 11, 2005.

1. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    "A genuinely delightful movie." - THE WALL STREET JOURNAL

Classic, Enduring, Oscar®-Nominated Slice of Americana
    Available in New DVD Edition

STAND BY ME: DELUXE EDITION

Includes 32-Page Collector's Book and Exclusive CD Songtrack

Movie Based on a Novella by Stephen King

In Stores March 22, 2005

In the years since its release, the 1986 film STAND BY ME has earned the critical imprimatur of a modern classic. On March 22, 2005, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment will release the film as a special Deluxe Edition DVD, which includes a 32-page movie book filled with production facts, actors' bios, photos and artwork from the movie along with a bonus CD songtrack sampler featuring many of the classic 1950s hits from Buddy Holly, Ben E. King, Jerry Lee Lewis and others that helped make the film such a remarkable and enduring slice of Americana.

From acclaimed, Oscar®-nominated director Rob Reiner (A Few Good Men, When Harry Met Sally, The Princess Bride), STAND BY ME is simultaneously a coming of age story, a thriller and a tear-jerker drama, the film won wide acclaim for its performances which include the earliest roles for young actors who would later go on to define a particular group of "Generation X" performers (in much the same way that the earlier St. Elmo's Fire and The Breakfast Club would define the slightly older "Brat Pack" set), including Kiefer Sutherland (TV's "24", Dark City), Wil Wheaton (TV's "Star Trek: The Next Generation"), John Cusack (High Fidelity, Being John Malkovich), Corey Feldman (Goonies, The Lost Boys), Jerry O'Connell (TV's "Sliders", Jerry Maguire) and the late River Phoenix (My Own Private Idaho, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade) in his star-making role.

Based on the novella "The Body" by Stephen King, STAND BY ME received an Academy Award® nomination for Best Writing, Screenplay Based on Material from Another Medium and was declared, "Absolutely wonderful... a film I may never forget!" by Jeffrey Lyons, SNEAK PREVIEWS INDEPENDENT NETWORK NEWS.

Synopsis
    In a small woodsy Oregon town, a group of friends -- sensitive Gordie (Wil Wheaton), tough guy Chris (River Phoenix), flamboyant Teddy (Corey Feldman), and scaredy-cat Vern (Jerry O'Connell) -- are in search of a missing teenager's body. Wanting to be heroes in each other's and their hometown's eyes, they set out on an unforgettable two-day trek that turns into an odyssey of self discovery. They sneak smokes, tell tall tales, cuss 'cause it's cool and band together when the going gets tough. When they encounter the town's knife-welding hoods who are also after the body, the boys discover a strength they never knew they had. STAND BY ME is a rare and special film about friendship and the indelible experiences of growing up.

DVD SPECIAL FEATURES INCLUDE:
    • Digitally Mastered Audio and 16x9 Anamorphic Video
    • Audio: English (Dolby Digital), French (Dolby Digital), Spanish, Portuguese
    • Subtitles: English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Chinese, Korean, Thai
    • Featurette "Walking the Tracks": The Summer of STAND BY ME including interviews with Stephen King and Rob Reiner
    • Director Rob Reiner's Commentary
    • Stand By Me Music Video
    • Isolated Music Score
    • Bonus Trailers
    • Talent Files
    • Interactive Menus
    • Scene Selections
    • CD Soundtrack Sampler
    • Exclusive Movie Collector's Book
    Rated: R
    Color / Closed Captioned
    Running Time: 88 Minutes
    DVD SLP: $24.96

2. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman
    Note that this appears to be mostly similar to the existing edition, with the addition of an isolated score, a (partial) soundtrack CD, a booklet, and Korean subtitles.

Can someone who has the existing edition verify whether or not the isolated score and/ or Korean subtitles are included?

3. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    This is a re-issue with CD. Previous version appears to be precisely the same disc.

Announcements such as this give special meaning to "slow news day."

RAH

4. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman
    Thanks for the info!

(I believe that the 32-page book is new, too.)

5. Harold Wazzu

Harold Wazzu Supporting Actor

Here's what the existing SE lists:

- Digitally mastered audio & anamorphic video
    - Widescreen presentation
    - Audio: English, French, Spanish, Portuguese
    - Subtitles: English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Chinese, Korean, Thai
    - Exclusive Featurette "Walking the Tracks: the Summer of Stand By Me" including interviews with Stephen King & Rob Reiner
    - Director Rob Reiner's Commentary
    - Stand By Me Music Video
    - Isolated Music Score
    - Bonus Trailers
    - Talent Files
    - Interactive Menus
    - Production Notes
    - Scene Selection with Motion Images

Also, the synopsis listed by Aaron is word-for-word on the back of the existing version.

Dang and I almost got excited there for a minute.

6. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman
    Well, that settles it, then! (I checked Amazon, and their listing for the existing disc is incomplete.)

Thanks, Harold!

7. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Screenwriter

LOL, gotta love Columbia. Just when you wonder how lower they can stoop, they come through and really show off what they're capable of... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. MatS

MatS Screenwriter

announcements like this give special meaning to milk it till the utters run dry

9. Rob FM

Rob FM Second Unit

R
    Hammer.
    Nail.
    Head.

10. Ryan Belfast

Ryan Belfast Stunt Coordinator

I chucked my soundtrack CD in the box of my current SE and, oula! I have the new Deluxe Edition.

[​IMG]

11. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    At least it's still in widescreen, though.

But seriously, how much profound hatred does this company have for its consumers (except Seinfeld fans)? I mean, the Annie and Matilda incidents were bad enough, but this is an incredible ripoff. Does this soundtrack CD have anything not already available commercially?

12. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Isn't there a Superbit edition available in Japan with DTS 5.1, Dolby 5.1 and mono?

Typical $ony re-re-re-release, ad nauseum. Meanwhile, dozens of great cataloge films languish in the vaults...

PS: I love Stand By Me.

"Did your mother ever have any kids that lived?"

13. CraigL

CraigL Screenwriter

Yes, the Superbit in Japan does have a remixed 5.1 DTS track and a mono DD track. It's the only time the film has ever been remixed for 5.1 and the review I read said it was pretty good. I just won a copy off of ebay. Can't wait to check it out.

14. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

Uh, Sony, if a movie deserves the Superbit treatment (for whatever that is worth), it's STAND BY ME. Don't try putting steak sauce on a hot dog and telling me it's a Porterhouse! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] and I only have 2[​IMG]

15. Peter Svensson

Peter Svensson Second Unit

I have the Japanese Superbit and I think it´s great. However, a Superbit tile that has already exclusively been released in Japan, has, as far as I know, never been released as a Superbit on any other region. Sure there are Superbit titles that exists on both R2JAP and R1 for example, but then the Superbit have been released on R1 before R2JAP. So I wouldn´t hope for a R1 Superbit release.

16. John*P

John*P Second Unit

Good movie, and I already have the SE...this is NOT worth a double-dip, IMO.

I believe this is the 3rd version of Stand by Me on Region 1 DVD?

17. Paul Sandhu

Paul Sandhu Supporting Actor

I saw this on TV a few months ago and loved it. I was thinking about getting it on DVD but should I wait for the re-re-release or just buy it now?

18. Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk Screenwriter

Sound similar to the Rudy re-release.

19. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

I would guess that this will be the last DVD release, but ya never know. . .

20. John Kilduff

John Kilduff Screenwriter

How come this gets another release, but we still don't have "The Legend Of Billie Jean" on DVD? Come on, SONY, toss us some new bones here.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Invincible, baby!