What's new

SONY PICTURES PRESS RELEASE: Downfall (1 Viewer)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
"Gripping" - Los Angeles Times

"In a remarkable performance, perhaps the most impressive portrait of Hitler ever captured on film, Bruno Ganz plays Hitler as delusional, hateful and cruel man - but also human." - Richard Roper, Ebert & Roper

"Downfall is indeed a masterpiece of historical accuracy and cinematic drama." - Wall Street Journal

2004 Academy Award Nominee for Best Foreign Film

DOWNFALL

To Be Released on DVD by Sony Pictures Home Entertainment on August 2, 2005

The acclaimed account of the final days of Hitler as chronicled by his personal secretary, DOWNFALL stars Bruno Ganz (The Manchurian Candidate) and Alexandra Maria Lara, directed by Oliver Hirschbiegel (Das Experiment). A 2004 Academy Award nominee for Best Foreign Language Film, Newsweek hails this one of a kind feature as "Spellbinding," and The Hollywood Reporter salutes it as "One of the best war movies ever made...on par with Saving Private Ryan and Das Boot in every regard!" Told from the perspective of Hitler's young stenographer, DOWNFALL takes an in-depth look at the chaos and horror that raged outside Hitler's fortified bunker and the madness that brewed within. Sony Pictures Home Entertainment releases DOWNFALL on DVD for the SLP of $29.95 on August 2, 2005.

Synopsis

In 1942, 22-year-old Traudl Junge (Alexandra Maria Lara) is selected as the personal secretary to Hitler. Cut to 1945 as Berlin crumbles and Hitler is in hiding in a bunker underneath the German Chancellery as the Third Reich is dismantled. Through it all, Traudl remains in her position and finds herself beside Der Feuhrer in the infamous bunker as the world watched. In addition to Traudl, Hitler's mistress Eva Braun (Juliane Köhler) and his closest confidantes and colleagues surrounded him in his final days. Told through Traudl's perspective, DOWNFALL chronicles the last 10 days of Hitler's life from his 56th birthday on April 20th to his ultimate demise. This film powerfully illuminates how the horrifying epic story of Hitler and his people played out in the end.

Constantin Film presents DOWNFALL, A Bernd Eichinger Production, a Newmarket Films release.

The film stars Bruno Ganz, Alexandra Maria Lara, Corinna Harfouch, Ulrich Matthes, Juliane Köhler, and Heino Ferch. The film is directed by Oliver Hirschbiegel. Screenplay by Bernd Eichinger based on the books of Joachim Fest, Melissa Müller and Traudl Junge. The producer is Bernd Eichinger. The executive producers are Wolf-Dietrich Brücker, Doris J. Heinze, Jörn Klamroth, and Christine Rothe. The director of photography is Rainer Klausmann. The production designer is Bernd Lepel. The film is edited by Hans Funck. The costume designer is Claudia Bobsin. The original music is by Stephan Zacharias.

DVD SPECIAL FEATURES:
  • Director Commentary
  • Information About the Shooting of DOWNFALL
  • Interviews with Cast Members
  • Featurette: The Making of DOWNFALL
  • 16x9 Presentation
  • Audio: German 5.1 Dolby Digital
  • Subtitles: English
  • English Closed Captions
  • Bonus Previews
Rated: R for strong violence, disturbing images and some nudity
Color / Closed Captioned / Running Time: 156 minutes
DVD SLP: $29.95

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm, thought they'd finally put out a press release about the downfall of the company, not a movie with that title. Sounds interesting though.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Hey, director commentary, cool. That didn't show up in the info on DVDAnswers or DVDTimes, I guess they hadn't gotten the complete list of features (though neither site had claimed otherwise).

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Well at least it's better than what was originally announced, "a featurette and some interviews". I'll be picking it up. Too bad no German DTS.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

Several of my wargaming/ history buff friends have seen this, and they speak very, very highly of it. I am really psyched to see it.

EnricoE

Supporting Actor
maybe sony will do a superbit dvd for this film or even better bring this film as one of the first in high-def :D

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Even though I've had enough with the Nazi/Holocaust/WWII genre, I watched this and thought it was great.

It felt accurate (I'm not a history buff, but nothing felt forced), and Bruno Ganz played Hitler better than anyone I've ever seen - and is an Oscar-worthy performance in my opinion.

It was refreshing to see Hitler with human qualities, and not just a one-dimensional character.

I may have to pick this one up.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
This is an incredible film, but I think this will be a rental for me. I don't think the film has a lot of replay value.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks