What's new

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
The title I picked to go with the gift set (question #1) was 'A League of Their Own'. The other 3 titles I picked (question #2) were 'Silverado', 'Sleepless in Seattle' and 'Jerry Maguire'.

The title I wrote in was 'Dances with Wolves' (extended version).

Mark

Reactions: PMF

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I took the survey but, frankly, it's pretty useless. And I felt uncomfortable providing personal details tbh.

I couldn't decide on a title in the first question so I checked the one that seems the unlikeliest to receive a UHD release: Awakenings.

On the second question, I checked Starman. But why does Sony need to commission a survey to gauge what people want? Bring out the big guns and watch the UHDs sell themselves. Lawrence of Arabia, anything by John Carpenter, Ishtar (OK, that last one is a stretch). Actually, when it comes to big guns, I can't think of many from Columbia Pictures other than LOA. I guess this is why I couldn't decide on titles on this survey. I'd love to see Guns of Navarone but that one looks like it doesn't have materials in good condition based on stuff I've read here and elsewhere. Nowhere near a "big gun" (no pun intended) but still a classic in my book.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I took the survey but, frankly, it's pretty useless. And I felt uncomfortable providing personal details tbh.

I use a fake birth month and fake birth year for these kinds of surveys. And Sony already knows my name and email address, I learned about the survey via an email from Sony yesterday. I came here to post about it and found this topic.

Mark

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MGM_Home_Entertainment
In 2005, following MGM's acquisition by the Sony-led consortium, the company was under the Sony Pictures Home Entertainment label but not using the MGM Home Entertainment name on any releases, which has distributed the MGM library, though under the MGM label. The deal ended a year later.

In 2006, after MGM ended their distribution agreement with Sony, they announced that they would be signing a new distribution deal with 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment. Originally, DVD releases of MGM/UA and Columbia TriStar co-releases continued to be distributed by SPHE, since Sony then still owned 20% of MGM, whereas Fox has no controlling interest; however, Fox has since released DVD editions of films based on MGM IPs. On April 14, 2011, Fox's deal distributing the MGM library is extended until the end of 2016.[8] On June 27, 2016, Fox's deal distributing the MGM library is extended again until June 2020.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member

Read farther in your linked article. Some MGM titles are still being released under Sony Pictures Home Entertainment.

Fox doesn't own a controlling interest in MGM, they just distribute some of the MGM films. Sony owns the largest controlling interest in MGM. So, it seemed appropriate to suggest to Sony that Dances with Wolves is a good candidate for 4K UHD release.

It could look spectacular, BTW. The scenery in the film is stunning. Dances with Wolves is a PRIME candidate for 4K HDR.

Mark

McHugh

Agent
Real Name
Soon Louis
This survey was back in the summer and I have yet to see any announcements from Sony about 4K HDR titles because of the survey. I suspect that Lawrence of Arabia was one of the titles most requested so still waiting for that one. If any movie should be released on $K HDR it is Lawrence.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Like to see Sony release Vittorio De Sica's The Garden of the Finzi-Contini on Blu-ray. The Sony dvd and Arrow region 2 dvd are out of print.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I mentioned this in another thread, but it appears 1776 is available streamed in 4k via the iTunes store and I *think* it is the extended edition.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks