What's new

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I found Lost Horizon a queer choice for the 4K upgrade - not because it isn't deserving of one, but simply because the film elements over the years have been utterly ravaged. It looked incredible on Blu-ray and I am not at all certain how much better it could look in 4K. Would love them to find all of the missing pieces to put Capra's Humptey-Dumptey back together again.

A couple of friends pointed out that two Streisand masterpieces have yet to make the leap even to standard Blu-ray: The Prince of Tides and The Mirror Has Two Faces. Both are sincerely worthy of the upgrade and would look even better in 4K. I also think Robert Benton's Places in the Heart would have been a good choice.

I was surprised, but excited, to Lost Horizon listed. Not the first Sony Capra I would have thought they look at for 4K.

The Prince of Tides looks to be coming to blu from Criterion according to their hint a month or so back. Would also love to see Places in the Heart upgraded to 4K.

Last edited:
Reactions: PMF

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The Blu-ray indicated that Lost Horizon was restored in 4K. It has a 4K DCP so releasing it on 4K disc is not surprising to me.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I would have put in Barabbas (1961) as a special request other than that there were a lot of titles that have formerly been part of the Sony 4k download service and/or they have now been released on itunes so that list that Sony gives probably only contains titles where they already have 4k assets ready to go.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
What? No love for Little Women (1994)?!?!? - great ensemble adaptation of Louisa May Alcott's classic and classy 'children's' novel.

Also, Tootsie, The Big Chill, The Jagged Edge, Against All Odds, The Guns of Navarone, Experiment in Terror, Queen Bee, The Solid Gold Cadillac, The Marrying Kind, and, the holiest of holies: Porgy and Bess - produced by Goldwyn but distributed by Columbia and held up, simply because the families of the rights holder think it's a bad movie.

Note to families - it's for others to judge what is art and what is trash. Many in 1959 enjoyed this movie. I saw it on a bootleg in 1984 and even with awful color and cropped to full frame it still held my interest as a great film. Porgy and Bess also features an outstanding performance by Sammy Davis Jr. No one has the authority to censure art! No one!

Highlighted titles indicate NO home video release on Blu-ray yet, so a 4K is probably highly unlikely. But we can dream, can't we?

Last edited:

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I only wantred to put in one title but if Sony would be able to pull off releasing Porgy and Bess and if I can name more my top 3 would be:

Barabbas
Porgy and Bess
Mackenna's Gold

As they are large format they have more to gain from a UHD release than titles shot on 35mm or on black and white film stock.

I would also agree with others that lawrence of arabia should be a given so there is no need to wish for the one large format that Sony will eventually release but they have a bunch of others that all have not even seen a decent Blu-ray release:

Barabbas
(possibly) Porgy and Bess
Mackenna's Gold
The Long Ships
Lord Jim

Not sure if there are more but none of these even got a decent Blu-ray.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
[...]As they are large format they have more to gain from a UHD [...]

Barabbas
(possibly) Porgy and Bess
Mackenna's Gold
The Long Ships
Lord Jim

Not sure if there are more[...]
"Please, sir, I want some more". - Oliver!:)

Last edited:

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
"Please, sir, I want some more". - Oliver!:)

While obviously a very nice name for a musical ;) it has not been shot large format, there was only a Blow-Up to 70mm. I saw it a few years ago and it wasn't very good, no chance that it could have been mistaken for a true large format production.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
While obviously a very nice name for a musical ;) it has not been shot large format, there was only a Blow-Up to 70mm. I saw it a few years ago and it wasn't very good, no chance that it could have been mistaken for a true large format production.
Goodness no, Mr. OK, I have never mistaken "Oliver!" for a true large format production. I was following up on your quote of "Not sure if there are more..." in the hopes that someone else might think of some other uncited titles (while also tying it in as a plug for my write-in vote of "Oliver!").:)

Last edited:

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Goodness no, Mr. OK, I have never mistaken "Oliver!" for a true large format production. I was following up on your quote of "Not sure if there are more..." in the hopes that someone else might think of some other uncited titles (while also putting in another plug for my write-in vote of "Oliver!").:)
MOre large format titles,
mOre 4K/UHD,
mOre "Oliver!":thumbs-up-smiley:

Oh well, looks like I am not that big of a fan of Oliver! as I did not even recognize that line :)

At least Oliver! has a decent Blu-ray, this is more than can be said for any of the titles I posted.

rdimucci

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert DiMucci
My write-in vote was also for LORD JIM.

As for other wide frame films, Columbia also released a number of now forgotten films that were produced in Technirama:

This Angry Age (1958) [D: René Clément; Silvana Mangano, Anthony Perkins]
Fast and Sexy (1958) [D: Carlo Lastricati; Gina Lollobrigida, Vittorio De Sica]
Carthage In Flames (1960) [D: Carmine Gallone; Pierre Brasseur]
The Best of Enemies (1961) [D: Guy Hamilton; David Niven, Alberto Sordi]
The Hellions (1961) [D: Ken Annakin; Richard Todd, Anne Aubrey]
The Long Ships (1964) [D: Jack Cardiff; Richard Widmark, Sidney Poitier]

Columbia may not even have rights any longer to these (mostly) foreign productions. (There is a Columbia DVD of The Long Ships.)

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
My write-in vote was also for LORD JIM.

As for other wide frame films, Columbia also released a number of now forgotten films that were produced in Technirama:

This Angry Age (1958) [D: René Clément; Silvana Mangano, Anthony Perkins]
Fast and Sexy (1958) [D: Carlo Lastricati; Gina Lollobrigida, Vittorio De Sica]
Carthage In Flames (1960) [D: Carmine Gallone; Pierre Brasseur]
The Best of Enemies (1961) [D: Guy Hamilton; David Niven, Alberto Sordi]
The Hellions (1961) [D: Ken Annakin; Richard Todd, Anne Aubrey]
The Long Ships (1964) [D: Jack Cardiff; Richard Widmark, Sidney Poitier]

Columbia may not even have rights any longer to these (mostly) foreign productions. (There is a Columbia DVD of The Long Ships.)

I left some of those out as I only am certain that Sony retains the home video rights for The Long Ships which I included in my short list. Would be interesting to check what became of the home video rights for the others. With movies like these that have a rather checkered production and distribution history one also has to wonder if the large format negatives are still accessible and in decent shape.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I think I know the answer to this already, but how many of us; upon submitting our write-in vote; have since thought of an alternate title that came to mind long after it was too late?:D
I wouldn't take back my own write-in for a second; but I've lately been thinking of how "Legends of the Fall" might look as a 4K/UHD.:thumbs-up-smiley:
Can't wait to learn of the final tally and of all our hopeful anticipations.:)

Last edited:

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
...Queen Bee, The Solid Gold Cadillac, The Marrying Kind..Highlighted titles indicate NO home video release on Blu-ray yet, so a 4K is probably highly unlikely. But we can dream, can't we?
They may not be on blu-ray, but Queen Bee and The Solid Gold Cadillac have at minimum 1080p masters, as they're available in HD on iTunes.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
So when are we going to hear some news about which titles they selected for UHD (4K) Blu-ray releases?

I eagerly await my shoo-in write-in selection of Skatetown USA (1979) in glorious UHD (4K) resolution complete with Dolby Vision or HDR10 whichever applies.

holtge

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gordon Holt
I voted for "Annie." The blu-ray is good but I am hoping if they revisit the title, they'll dig deep for deleted scenes to use as extras.

Me too! I saw this movie as a kid when it first came out and have loved it ever since. I know it was nominated for a Razzy Award back-in-the-day, but the film really captured my 12-year-old heart. So many things I still recall fondly: Carol Burnett riding an elephant, Tim Curry climbing the railroad track after poor little Annie, Annie falling asleep at the movie theater, and on and on! Love, love, love this movie! If any Sony Pictures release deserves a 4K upgrade, this one has to be on that list!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks