Sony Picture Tube

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Joseph O'Brien, Oct 9, 2003.

1. Joseph O'Brien

Joseph O'Brien Auditioning

hello, left a previous post an got a nice response. Heres my problem do I believe the Sony Tech who came to my home who told me my picture tube is no good or do I get a second opinion ? The tv is a 35 inch KV35/36 pre wega.

The tech told me the repair would cost $250.00 which I agreed to, after the tv did the same thing the tech said $50.00 only ( inital cost).

Heres the problem the screen will go completly red in a flash and then shut off, no picture, no sound, nothing. After a time the tv can be turned on and have a picture etc. The tech said the tube was no good after he soldered in new chips.

Do I get a second opinion ? The tv is still working but, still will exhibit the same problem, no rhyme no reason. Or do I move on an get a new tv ?

This Sony is only 5 years and 3 months old. 3 months out of warranty

Thanks
    JOB

2. Steve Berger

Steve Berger Supporting Actor

It does sound like a bad CRT , sorry ; but ... there is one thing more to try (maybe). Sometimes CRTs get foreign particles from the aquadag coating in the gun structure causing your type of symptoms. The thing to try (suggested by Sony itself) is to place the TV on it's face , turn it on , and GENTLY tap on the neck of the tube to try and dislodge the offending particle (assuming the tech didn't already try it). It could cure it , do nothing , or lodge it further in shuting the set down for good. If it continues as it is something will fail - H out transistor , power supply , etc. Trying this would depend on just how often the problem occurs ; daily - I'd suggest it , monthly - no I wouldn't , in between - toss coin.

3. Joseph O'Brien

Joseph O'Brien Auditioning

Thanks Steve for the input, I'll give your suggestion a try, can't hurt.