Sony, Philips, Universal sell Super Audio in German Cinemas

Discussion in 'Music' started by Lee Scoggins, Dec 22, 2003.

1. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

Now this is a great promotion - demonstrate surround and audio quality while having a captive audience in movie theaters...is the United States next?

This is what the hirez formats should do to promote the format...I think Michael St. Clair mentioned this in a recent thread...

[​IMG]

http://www.highfidelityreview.com/ne...umber=12074035

2. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    At the risk of talking to myself [​IMG] I had some further thoughts about this.

This may be the best way to market hirez. Nothing works better than to involve the audience in an event and it sure seems more entertaining than the commercials we are getting before the previews.

Here are some observations:

1. I bet that movie goers are also often HT builders and fans. What better way to reach out to the very people, if a subset of the total music market, predisposed to like the surround experience.

2. Coupling the experience with some visual imagery on the screen would seem critical. In this way, maybe a DVDA demonstration could be particularly powerful and a voice over could suggest "...DVDA also offers videos and session photography in addition to the enhanced sound."

3. Maybe there could be a educational classical music video to show before G rated movies, ala Peter and The Wolf. Use surround sound to show the effects of different musical instruments and highlight the section of the orchestra playing. Children learn more and the formats garner praise from parents who also learn about the potential. It would be a sort of soft sell, education value added approach which could enhance grass roots buzz...

4. R-rated and action movies: Maybe show popular special effects with bullets zooming from surround speakers around the soundfield while showing video of the stunts. Convert some big action star like the Rock to talk while he moves around the soundfield while showing in a corner of the screen the 5.1 layout Sub + L-C-R + Right Surround + Left Surround. The Rock says something like "isn't more realistic to have the bullets fly overhead in a fight scene?" and then have bullets whisk thru theater while 5.1 graphic has an arrow that moves the bullet from say the right surround to front left speaker...."bring this same experience home in DVDA surround sound and also get the added extra resolution of some of your favorite albums"...then play hirez audio with the band on screen.

5. Announce a contest at the end based on coupons passed out with each movie ticket (limited release maybe) where you ask for each audience member to see if there number matches the number on the screen. Matches entitle one to pick up immediately from ushers a SACD or DVDA audio sampler (CD or DVD compatible ideally) and be entered into a grand prize of: 1) concert tickets, 2) visit to special effects studio, 3) free SACD or DVDA capable DVD player, etc. Maybe a retailer and radio station get involved to cover some of the costs and widen publicity.

Seems to me the last idea is really cool because Americans really like the possibility of something for nothing and love contests/game shows. If they win, the buzz will be very positive...can you imagine someone asking how the movie was and hearing about free CDs being passed out?

Too many cool possibilities....

What would you do if you were either Sony or Warner?

Share your thoughts. [​IMG]

3. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    We-wlease Bri-w-an, errr, SA-CD II and the idea might make more sense? If the red dots and advertising keeps escalating will anybody stille be attending the cinema?[​IMG]

4. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

Good question, but I suspect that commercial advertising at cinemas is unfortunately here to stay. The reason is that almost all major theater chains are highly leveraged due to an overbuilding of theaters and wide expansion. Any cash flow brought in by advertisers will guarded...even though it annoys me as a consumer. [​IMG]

As Michael suggested, Sony and Warner have lots of clout on the distribution end of things. One would think they could pressure the theater chains and the chains could benefit from some fee being paid by the studio for the screen time. Maybe there is a tie-in with the sound system folks like Dolby Digital(DVDA?) and SDDS...

The box office attendance this year has been pretty good and the latest number on Lord of the Rings indicate plenty of captive audience for the surround demos. [​IMG]

5. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Peter and the Wolf is available on SACD with.....Mikhail Gorbachev,Sophia Loren, Bill Clinton, the Russian National Orchestra with Kent Nagano conducting.

[​IMG]

I believe Sony owns the Loews chain of theaters.

6. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Danny,

Thanks for reminding me...I guess they have the source material to work from. If they videoed the orchestra maybe we are in business.

I bet you could talk Disney into doing something animated to build good will....

...or something funky from Pixar?!

Isn't the Tisch family and Loews Corp. the owner of the theaters or did they sell?