Sony or Yamaha Intro Level Receiver

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brent Moonen, Jan 9, 2002.

1. Brent Moonen

Brent Moonen Extra

Hi all,

I am trying to decide between a Sony STR-DE875 and a Yamaha HTR-5450 (which I think is the same as a RX-V520) and I would appreciate any feedback.

I am looking to replace an existing 9 year old Sony Pro Logic receiver that I have with something that has DD & DTS and that can take at least 3 S-Video inputs and to keep the price around $400.

I seems that Sony (particularily the DE line) is kind of looked down upon in the home theater world, but the 875 seems to be more "tweakable" than the Yamaha. I have listened to both at Best Buy but it was hard to make a judgement when it is hooked up to lousy speakers and the only option was to listen to the radio.

Thanks in advance for any opinons.

2. AbelM

AbelM Second Unit

Deffiently go with the Yammy.[​IMG]

3. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

I think most people will agree that Yamaha is a better built receiver than the non-ES Sonys. FWIW, I have had a RX-V795 Yamaha for over 3 years and have been very pleased with it.

4. Gerard Martin

Gerard Martin Second Unit

5. Luis A

Luis A Second Unit

Hi Brent,
    Welcome to the forum.
    I'd wait for Yamaha to release their new line of receivers in March before you purchase. I believe the RX-V530 will retail for $499, and will include DTS-ES, ProLogicII, and a few other things. Check the link to Widescreen Reviews "coming soon" section, and scroll down to new electronics. They have specs,and pics of the new line[​IMG]
    L
    http://www.widescreenreview.com/attr...ailer1299.html

6. Jon_R

Jon_R Stunt Coordinator

You are correct in saying the DE line of Sony's stuff is looked down upon. In my experience my 2 str-de475 (i think that was the model #) were exremely hissy at medium to moderate levels. Both bought at Best Buy. I ended up with a Denon avr-681, the functional equivalent of the Denon 1601, but with a slighly different amp. I absolutely love it.

This is just an idea and some will like it others won't. You could go online and buy a Denon 1802 for like $350. I don't like the remote but the sound, especially 5 ch. stereo is great. Of course DTS and DD 5.1 all rock, and the 1802 has DPLII as well.

Given the receivers mentioned, I'd go with the Yamaha over the Sony. The Sony DB line of receivers is better, so if you are hellbent on sony, you could look towards the DB.

Good luck,

Jon

7. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

Brent,

Between the two receivers you mentioned, I'd go with the Yamaha. I just replaced a two-year-old Sony that was the equivalent of the 875. It sounded fine for movies, but it was harsh when it came to music. It also seemed to run a little hot and the first one I had went bad after six months. Sony has had some quality control issues with the DE line.

Now for the unsolicited advice. Besides looking at the Denon 1802 that Jon mentioned (great quality but bad remote and front panel), take a long hard look at the Onkyo TX-DS595. You can pick one up at J & R for about $360. Fantastic sound quality, solidly built, great programmable learning remote and easy to use.

8. Rutledge

Rutledge Stunt Coordinator

Sony was recently caught by Sound and Vison mag overrating its power. With all 5 channels driven the Sony could only muster 31 watts per channel. Not the 100 watts per channel, 500 total it said it produced.

9. Brent Moonen

Brent Moonen Extra

Looks like the Yamaha is the way to go. I kind of figured that, but I have had good luck with Sony products in the past.

Thanks Luis for the info on the new line. If I can be patient, I'll try for that RX-V530, sounds like the same as the HTR-5450 but with DPL II.

Thanks to all of you for your input.

10. Sheldon C

Sheldon C Second Unit

Myself and a friend both bought entry level 5.1 receivers 3 years ago when dvd players were starting to explode. He bought a Sony, I bought a Yamaha (rxv595). I recently upgraded to another Yamaha (rxv3000) and he also wants to upgrade - to anything but Sony. With his receiver it's like the sound is coming out of a tin shed. It was unlistenable.

To make a long story short, go with the Yamaha for sure.

11. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Get the RXV620 or 5460. Its much better than the 520/5450. You can find them very cheap right now. It adds the digital volume control, component video, 100WX5, binding posts for all channels, and much more. But if you need PL2 and other stuff, you need o wait for the new models to come out but it will be more expensive.

I say if you are only running 5.1 and you don't need pl2, go with the 620. I have it and it's excellent!

12. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

it's no comparison. the yamaha wins hands-down!!!

you bring up a pretty good point. sony receiver are very tweakable...they often have a lot of bells and whistles.

imo, that's exactly why they don't perform well. all those extra features take away from the "pure" performance of the receiver.

think about all the extra things the sound has to go through before it even leaves the receiver.

i think the cleaner and simpler a receiver is, the better it'll perform.

anyway, didn't mean to rant. go with the yamaha.

13. Luis A

Luis A Second Unit

Brent,
    Not a problem. Also, the new line of Yamaha receivers will have DTS-ES capability, along with DPLII. I noticed the 5450 does not.
    You may not need DPLII, but it wouldn't hurt to have the latest technology in case you ever decide to use it.
    How ever you decide though, be sure to take your time, and research. You do not want to be kicking yourself 6 months down the road over your purchase.[​IMG]
    L

14. Scott_ATL

Scott_ATL Extra

Hello, everyone.

I came across this site while looking up reviews, etc. for the Sony STR-DE875 receiver and decided to join.

I'm kinda seeking some input regarding my purchase of an open-box STR-DE875 from Circuit City. I paid $199.00 and got the 3-year service deal for $29.95. Now, based on what I've read here, this receiver is not a preferred model. However, when looking at receivers around $200.00, it seems as though I got a steal.

My basic question is this...

Should I maybe spend $100+ more on a "better" receiver, of just be happy spending the $200.00 on this one? Sure, I'm wary of purchasing an open-box item, but I did get the service thing (which, actually was part of the contingency to get the price to $199.00), so I think I should be covered.

By the way, one of my main reasons for selecting this receiver is the fact that it has a Phono input that seems VERY difficult to find these days in a Surround receiver.

Any input or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

15. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

After owning the STRDE-835 I would strongly urge you to listen to the new Yamahas or Onkyos. The Sony worked well for HT(although I could fry an egg on it) but when it came to music I had to equalize the he** out of it. I now have an ES model and I'm in nirvana! The DE and DB lines have lots of bells and whistles but you pay for that in pure musical sound. Good luck with your purchase and return your Sony.

16. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I picked up a DE475 for $150 for my bedroom, and it was less than stellar. I was getting distortion with only two Paradigm Titans at less than half volume, in stereo. I relieved myself of it within DAYS.

For the same price, I picked up a demo unit Marantz SR4000, and it is literally a night and day difference in power delivery and music reproduction.

I would recommend taking a look at the Marantz SR5200, Onkyo SR600, or Denon 1802. They are in the $500 range, but can likely be had for less online, but will definitely be WELL worth the extra $$$.

17. Mark Hobbs

Mark Hobbs Stunt Coordinator

Denon 1802 ($375 new) is the best receiver under $400, IMO. The Onkyo 595 is a very close second.
    People complain about the Denon remote. Spend $25 on a Cinema 7 that will control all of your stuff and the remote isn't even an issue. The remote is the least of my concerns when buying a Receiver.
    www.cheaphometheater.com --This website is a godsend for entry-level home theater shoppers.

18. Scott_ATL

Scott_ATL Extra

Thank you all for the quick responses and input thus far on my purchase of that Sony STR-DE875.
    I probably should have made myself a little more clear in my original post, but I didn't want to write a book.
    I wasn't yet going to purchase a Surround receiver for my room (I have a Technics SA-DX950 in my den...hey, I know it's not the best, but it gets the job done for $179), but my 9 year old Sony stereo receiver fried, literally, last weekend. So, this week found me seeking some sort of suitable replacement. Which brings up the price issue. Since I'm being thrown into this market again all of a sudden, I don't have the $$$ stashed away to purchase a $400 receiver...but I also hate not having music in my room, so I want to buy something RIGHT NOW...lol.
    I checked out specs online for the Denon, Onkyo and Marantz receivers suggested, and the Denon seems pretty cool...AND it has a phono input. However, it still means I spend $175 more than I have at this point.
    Perhaps a revised question may be "What would be my best choice for around $300.00?". The Denon is still a consideration, but I am on a budget. Still, my initial response is that $199.00 isn't too bad a price to pay for this receiver, but if it is really THAT bad, I'll certainly consider purchasing something else. I may just have to do without music in my room for a while. [​IMG]
    Anyway, I just bought it last night and have yet to even wire it all up (have to wire stereo for now, as I don't have a center speaker for my room...another future purchase I don't have $$$ for...lol). So, I guess I'll give it a shot, and if it REALLY sounds bad, I'll take it back.
    If anyone has any additional input, it'd be appreciated, and thanks again for the quick and informative responses.
    [​IMG]

19. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    How about the 1602? Should be very similar to the 1802, with less power and a price closer to what you are looking at. I understand the NOW need, but I would probably save and get the better receiver rather than get another one that would leave me wanting to upgrade later. Another option is to look around for some used gear. You can often get good deals on good gear that is not that old.

*edit - Something I've done quite often when budget is a constraint and I HAVE to have something is to go into a store and look for last year's model or a demo unit on the shelf. Quite often, you can haggle a very good price for a unit that they would otherwise not be able to get rid of. Specifically, look for a line that has just had a new model come out, like Onkyo. The TX-DS494 and 595 are good receivers, and with the 600 just coming out, you may be able to get a great deal.

20. Scott_ATL

Scott_ATL Extra

Doh! The 1602 does not have a phono input. I still listen to records, so, that's kind of important to me.

I do appreciate the suggestion, though.