Sony or Pioneer

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by HowardPM, Aug 24, 2002.

1. HowardPM

HowardPM Agent

Howard
  2. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

If I were you I would get the new Panasonic SA-HE100 it has 6 amps in it for a rear center speaker & will also decode Dolby Digital-EX & DTS-ES. It has been getting some very good owner reviews and a review in Sound & Vision Mag. The list price for the receiver is $300 but from what I understand it can be had for around $250 You also have your choice of colors black or silver. This receiver will put the Sony & Pioneer models that you mentioned to shame. I would even say that it can give the Pioneer 811 a run for it's money. Just my 2 cents & do a search on the Panasonic on this forum & you will come up with a lot more info on it.
    Remember your probably going to have the receiver you buy for awhile so why not buy one for only a few dollars more that will decode "ALL" the Surround Sound Formats. Just my 2 cents [​IMG]

3. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Howard, I did a seach on Yahoo shopping for it & there were plenty of places advertising the Panasonic for $225 plus S&H which was around $25.00 Maybe you can get a dealer in your area to match the internet price? The list price is $300 so you should fight with any dealer who's trying to sell it to you for $299.99 Good Luck & I would give this receiver a long hard look at before I went with the Sony or Pioneer models you listed.

4. HowardPM

HowardPM Agent

Howard
    Thanks, I'll take a look into it.

5. HowardPM

HowardPM Agent

Howard
    Well, just ordered the SA-HE100 from etronics.com for 230 and like 22 dollars for shipping, was cheapest I could find it. Circuit City wanted 300 bucks and Best Buy doesn't even sell Panasonics. So will see how it goes, should be here in 5 days.

6. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Howard, good luck with the new receiver & post a review on what you think of the Panasonic. The only thing that I've seen that people really din't like about it was the remote control & that can be taken care of with a universal remote so that's no big deal. Just curious what color did you order?

7. HowardPM

HowardPM Agent

Howard
    I got the black one, should be here either friday or monday. I don't really care about the remote, I have the Sony AV-3000 universal (that cool looking touchpad one)but I'll keep you informed.

8. HowardPM

HowardPM Agent

Howard
    Hey Bill,

I'm enjoying this Panasonic Receiever thanks for the information on it. On a side note I don't think it actually support Dolby Digital EX it supports DTS-ES though. I think only the SA-HE200 does DD EX.

Howard

9. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Howard,
    According to Panasonic's catalog it doesn't do Dolby Digital EX decoding & from Sound & Vision Mag's report they say it doesn't do it either but that the 100 has it's own Dolby Digital EX decoder made by Panasonic that sounds just as good as the Dolby Digital EX decoders. Panasonic probably just din't want to pay Dolby for the name on the 100 so they used their own. If it sounds just as good as Dolby Ex who really cares & from the S&V Mag. report it sounds like it does. You might want to check www.soundandvisionmag.com & see if the test report is up on their site yet. Again, after you have used it for awhile let us know what you think the Pros & Cons are on this receiver. I do hope your happy with it & that I din't steer you in the wrong direction but from the reports I saw it looked like a hard receiver to beat for the features and money & especially with S&V rating the watts for all 6 channels driven at 70 watts a channel that's damn good for a $250 receiver.

10. HowardPM

HowardPM Agent

Howard
    Hey,
    Ya from all Ive reada its basically a scaled down version of DD-ES, but thats not a big deal because A. I don't have a center rear speakers and I don't plan on getting one for mny bedroom cause theres no room. [​IMG] B. It sounds a lot better then my kenwood one did. And C I don't own any DVDs that even support Dolby Digtal ES yet. On a side note do you have a direct link on http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/ for the information on the receiever, I can't find anything on it there.

11. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

I checked & it's not up on their site yet, but it was in the same issue as the the tests of the Denon, Yamaha & Integra receivers & the test of the Outlaw so maybe it will be up soon.

JUST A QUICK LOOK AT THE TEST SPECS FROM SOUND & VISION:

OUTPUT AT CLIPPING
    1 channel driven 4ohms 186 watts
    1 channel driven 8ohms 122 watts
    5 channels driven 8ohms 78 watts
    6 channels driven 8ohms 70 watts

DISTORTION at 1 watt (THD+N, 1 kHz)
    8ohms 0.04% 4ohms 0.05%

NOISE LEVEL (A-wtd) -75.0

EXCESS NOISE (with sine tone)
    16-bit (EN16) +1.3db

FREQUENCY RESPONSE
    20 Hz to 20KHz +0,-1.2db

SUBWOFFER-OUTPUT FREQUENCY RESPONSE
    18db/octive below -3db point of 101Hz

HIGH-PASS FILTER FREQUENCY RESPONSE
    12db/octive below -3db point of 101Hz

MAXIMUM UNCLIPPED SUBWOOFER OUTPUT
    (at reference volume setting) 8.9 volts

SUBWOFFER DISTORTION
    (from 6 channel, 30Hz, 0-dBFS signal; master volume at reference level; trim set to 10) 0.17%

The Panasonic SA-HE100 produced impressive numbers, especially for so inexpensive a receiver, including very good real-world noise levels and even good results on stereo tests with the extended-dynamic-range, extended-banwidth 96-KHz/24bit signals. It generated a lot of power, including very solid output in our 6-channels-driven test and reasonably good reaction to 4ohm loads. The forced-air cooling fan came on whenever more than a few watts was demanded for more than a moment, but it shouldn't be audible very often with a movie soundtrack or music playing.
    the receiver did shut down in response to extended clipping, but it recovered almost immediately with no ill effects.

HIGH POINTS:
    Impressive performance and power per dollar.
    Unusually complete options for Dolby Pro Logic II.
    Enhanced 6.1-channel playback from 5.1 channel recordings.

LOW POINTS:
    No on-screen displays
    Small, limited, poorly labeled remote.
    Only one coaxial digital input.

I really wouldn't worry about the receiver shutting down unless you play things at "Refference Level" for a long time & I don't think you'll be doing that in a bedroom anyway. There are a few things in the article like they din't think the radio section was very good,the remote & the spring speaker clips but that was about it.

A LINE TAKEN OUT OF THE ARTICLE:
    If your on a lean budget and want a receiver for simple "press play and enjoy" home theater use, yet with high-quality basic audio processing and enough real-world power to do the job, the Panasonic SA-HE100 will rock your world while letting you pinch your pennies. That's a combination near and dear to my heart.

If S&V doesn't put it up on their wesite in the next few weeks I'll try & send you a copy of it.