What's new

sony or onkyo? (1 Viewer)

Chris Grillo

Stunt Coordinator
Well I am looking to purchase one of these two rec's. Sony STR-DA4ES or the Onkyo TX-SR800. I'm looking for some advice on witch one i should get! does anyone have any exp. with these two models ?

Nathan Porteous

Stunt Coordinator
They are both very good recievers i chose the 4es because it just seemed to me to have more tweakability for what i wanted it for, dont get me wrong the onkyo is a awsome unit as well.
My guess is you should be able to swing a good deal for the 4es
But since i picked the 4es i will chose it

DA4es 1
SR800 0

Chris Grillo

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Nathan! i just picked up the 4es to demo last night sounds real good. i tweeked it with my spl meter. the center ch. sounded to quite so i have to bring it up from were the meter told me have you ran into that? I also found the center to be a little flat sounding maybe its the movie (star wars pod race scene)are there any settings that i should know about? The manual is sort of week! Thanks!!!:)

MikeWe

Agent
How do you find the remote on the Sony? This is the number one thing holding me back from purchasing the Sony.

Mark Hedges

Second Unit
The remote is bad, but not so bad that you shouldn't buy the reciever because of it. Once you get used to it its OK. There are actually some things I like about it. It works well for DVD's, CD's, etc. The only thing it doesn't do well is watching TV. You pretty much have to have another remote for the tv because of the lack of dedicated number buttons on the 4ES remote.

Mark

Chris Grillo

Stunt Coordinator
I agree its not bad but it does have its moments of "what were they thinking". it needs # buttons for sure. setting up the tuner section was the worst!!! it has a large learning curve but it does work ok!!

Mark Hedges

Second Unit
I just set the radio presets on the reciever. Is there a way to label them on the remote? Is there a way to delete the presets that aren't being used?

Chris Grillo

Stunt Coordinator
Mark, when i get home i will try to figure it out!I think I saw something about naming the presets in the man. not sure I will let you know. p.s. if it was a two way remote we wouldn't have to do this stuff! LOL :D

Mark Hedges

Second Unit
I know you can name the presets on the reciever's display but I haven't figured out how to name the presets on the remotes display. I will give it a try too!

Chris Grillo

Stunt Coordinator
Well I tried everything I could and I can't figure it out! maybe we can't name them on the remote. That kinda stinks!
Do you know how to check the firmware ver. on this thing ? I talked to a tech at Sony and he said I would have to take it to a repair place and they could update it if it wasn't up to date! I guess the latest firmware fixes a problem with some dvd's not auto detecting 6.1 info. I guess it works if you manualy set it to 6.1. sorry i kinda got off the subject.

PS How do you like your 4es?? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks