Sony or Hitachi WS RPTV?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve_Tk, Jun 28, 2002.

1. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

Between these two brands, because I get them at cost, which one would you choose and why. Every time I pick one I find some reason to choose the other. Only discussing the WS rptv's. I think the Hitachi's are brighter, but that's when viewing in the store under fluorescent lights, at home both will probably be the same. Sony seems to have better color. But just curious what you all think because you have had more experience than me.

2. David_Lew

David_Lew Stunt Coordinator

It's per your taste to go with. When I saw the sony & hitachi in person, I wasn't impressed with the hitachi.

3. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

I bought the Hitachi last September. It had a nasty green tint in dark parts of the screen and it's line doubling made people's faces look posterized like they were painted with flat latex paint. Its' channel changing was very slow and the variable stretch mode was bad--way too much stretch at the sides. It could be made to put out an outrageously torch bright picture, but I don't like to watch in a brightly lit room so this was no advantage.

I got sick of trying to get a decent picture out of it and decided to return the set and go back to my old analoy Hitachi 4/3 (an excellent analog rptv, btw).

When I went into CC to arrange the return, I saw the HW40 Sonys and decided to give widescreen HD another chance.

20 minutes after delivery, the Sony was a definite keeper. After a short session with AVIA, the picture was very nice indeed. Color rendition, accuracy, and subtlety is much better than on the Hitachi. It is not quite as bright, but plenty bright enough in a moderately lit room. The variable stretch mode is much better. Channel and input changing is instantaneous. I've had it almost 9 months now and it just keeps getting better.

From my own experience with Hitachi and Sony widescreen sets in my home with analog cable, DirecTV, High-Def, and dvd, I can strongly recommend the Sony over the Hitachi. I wanted to love the Hitachi as I'd had such great performance from one of their analog rptvs, but for HD-Ready widescreen I much prefer the Sony.

4. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

Thanks Steve. I had found the same thing. After playing with the Hitachi I noticed it was brighter, but just could never get it to look as good as the Sony, no matter how much I played with it. I think I've decided on the Sony.