What's new

Sony or Hitachi hdtv (1 Viewer)

Alfred-L

Auditioning
what is the best tv to get right now in the 3-4k price range i want widescreen hdtv or ready help a newbie out. thanks!

Jeff Williams

Stunt Coordinator
Even though I own a Hitachi, I would say Sony. I saw a Sony and a Hitachi running the same HD demo loop side by side and the Sony won hands down. I myself was surprised. The clarity on the Sony was much better. Not that the Hitachi had a bad picture, but the Sony took it to a higher level. Try to find somewhere where you can see both of them running at the same time and take a look for yourself.

Jeff

Chris Bennett

Auditioning
I would recommend the Sony KP-61HS30 which is a 61 inch Projection TV. It is 4:3 aspect ratio but also runs as a 56 inch widescreen TV with all 1080 lines of resolution in the HDTV area. It lists for $3100.

I know you asked for widescreen but you didn't say how much regular TV you watch. I watch a couple of DVD movies each week and the rest is regular TV programs. The amount of HDTV available is very small and so far very little sports. To me, sports such as football, baseball, and hockey are the main reason that I want HDTV. I watched JAG and some sitcoms in HDTV, looked better, but it didn't add that much.

I look at the above Sony as an interim solution since HDTV is probably going to take several years to replace all the regular programming. 4:3 TV will be with us for a while yet. When HDTV takes off, I will then buy a widescreen set which by then will be cheaper and much, much better quality.

Chris Bennett

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I bought an Hitachi 53UWX10B widescreen HD ready set in mid September. I was constantly tweaking trying to get rid of a green swampy effect in dark areas, and also trying to get a decent picture from regular sat. and cable.
Gave up after 2 weeks and swapped for a Sony KP57HW40. After only a few minutes I was one happy camper. This set was good out of the box, and great after a 20 minute session with the AVIA calibration disc. This set handles cable and satellite very well, has gorgeous color, and is stunning with HD or dvd.

DarrellP

Stunt Coordinator
The amount of HDTV available is very small and so far very little sports.
This is a VERY dangerous and misleading statement. It depends where you live. This guy is from Canada, so maybe to him HD is scarce. Where I live, in the Portland, OR area, we have 6 digital OTA channels with 4 showing HD. We have a full time PBS and a fulltime NBC demo loop running. plus I have Dish network with HBO HD and the Dish HD Demo channel. I dropped Showtime, along with their HD channel because they never show anything worth watching.

Tuesday nights is a tough choice on what to watch, there is almost TOO MANY CHOICES! ABC & CBS now show almost all their primetime shows in HD & CBS has been showing a Saturday college football game all season. If you have Direct TV you can get HDNET.

So the problem isn't really a lack of programming, it's where you live, so let's not scare anyone off with statements like this, OK?

Ed Faver

Second Unit
I spent about 6 months researching a purchase of an RP HDTV. I'm a big fan of Sony products. I've found them to be very dependable & low maintenance over the long-term. When I compared therir RPs to others, I found the Sony pictures to be the dimmest of all the sets I looked at. I focused on Sony, Hitachi, Toshiba & Panasonic. Anyone else notice this?

Chris Bennett

Auditioning
To DarrellP

I get 8 HDTV Channel including ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, PBS, HDNET, CDTV, and a Demo channel, mostly from Detroit. So I do know what I am talking about. Also, ROGERS, my cable company is adding pay-per-view movies plus "The Movie Network" in HDTV late in January 2002. Since my extra cost for the service is only $10 Canadian ($6 US), it is worth getting.

I have not been able to get the Sunday football games in HDTV nor is Monday night football in HDTV. Is that true also in your area? It may just be the Detroit stations. They do play an NHL hockey game every couple of weeks but no basketball so far. Of course, the Super Bowl is going to be in HDTV

I still don't see HDTV going anywhere in the next couple of years and stand by my view that 4:3 TV will be with us for at least 5 years and possibly longer. I wish this were not the case but with such a small percentage of HDTV TVs being sold, even now, the market is still very small and most TV being broadcast is still 4:3.

One of the problems with acceptance of HDTV are the cable companies. Until most of the US cable companies start to set themselves up to handle HDTV, the networks are not going to pick up the pace. In all I have read, I have not seen anything encouraging in this area.

I still stand by my view that a good 4:3 set that also works well as a 16:9 HDTV is a good interim solution for the next few years. With my Sony, I can watch HDTV, DVD (progressive scan) and effectively get a 56 inch widescreen TV for about the same, or less, than a real 56 inch TV. Plus, I have a 61 inch TV for watching 4:3 material.

As more and more HDTV programming becomes available, the time will eventually come when I will go out and get a 16:9 HDTV. But not yet.

Chris Bennett

BradZ

Stunt Coordinator
hate to burst your bubble chris,

but no HD superbowl this year. FOX has the rights and FOX does no HD- most we could expect is a 480p widescreen presentation- but don't bet on it. Fox is anti-HD- look for a 4:3 480i presentation of the RAMS stomping whoever the AFC sends to the game.

save for the shameless RAMS plug, the fox bashing is acccurate.

Chris Bennett

Auditioning
Wow 480p on FOX. Do they try to pass that off as HDTV? I guess its better than 480i but not by much. Since my cable company puts out only 1080i, they must upconvert from 480p.

At least Fox's weak attempt at Digital TV (I don't want to call it HDTV) is better than some of the other networks. I watch Buffy and Angel and there seems to be no plans by WB or by UPN to broadcast anything in HDTV. Also, there are 50 or so digital specialty channels I receive that will probably not go to HDTV. In fact, they will be lucky to still be in business this time next year.

Are there any bowl games this week in HDTV format?

Chris Bennett

Jamson Wu

Auditioning
I got the Sony KP61HS30 a couple of months ago and i'm in agreement with Chris. I think this unitl is a good transition between 4:3 to 16:9 at least for probably the next 5 years. I watch a lot of broadcast TV and a few DVD's each week. With the enhanced 16:9 mode on this sony unit, the screen is plenty big for me. 2 thumbs up.

I am thinking about this set too. But I do have a couple of questions to ask first if you dont mind. First: How is this thing with reg cable? Second: where did you purchase yours and what kind of price did you pay (if you dont mind)? I'm wondering if there is alot of haggle room. Third: has anyone had theirs ISF'd and if so how does it look now?

Thanks

Stephen Teffner

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
I bought an Hitachi 53UWX10B widescreen HD ready set in mid September. I was constantly tweaking trying to get rid of a green swampy effect in dark areas, and also trying to get a decent picture from regular sat. and cable.
If you check Home Theater Spot (in the Hitachi Tweaks section), they show how to fix the green problem.

Jamson Wu

Auditioning
Stephen, if you referring to the Sony, here's what i've experienced so far. I dont' know what it looks like on regular cable since i'm looking into getting a Sat. system. I've just been using OTA antenna, and its mediocre. DVD's look great on it though. Before I bought it, I saw a demo at CC and the cable feed looked nice. I got it at CC about 2 months ago for $2499. They now sell it at costco for the same price. I haven't had mine ISF calibrated, and right now I'm not planning on getting it done. I've run the VE DVD on it, and it looks fine.

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry Carmona
Well, ill have to change the atmosphere and say that for that price range, id go with a Toshiba 65HX81, i think you can get it for under $4000.
I own the 50H81.
Im not sure how much the smallest Pioneer costs, but id also look into the 520 Elite.
I would venture to say that the Pioneer Elites are considered the best.
Peace.

Jerry AZ

Stunt Coordinator
I still don't see HDTV going anywhere in the next couple of years and stand by my view that 4:3 TV will be with us for at least 5 years and possibly longer. I wish this were not the case but with such a small percentage of HDTV TVs being sold, even now, the market is still very small and most TV being broadcast is still 4:3.
One of the problems with acceptance of HDTV are the cable companies. Until most of the US cable companies start to set themselves up to handle HDTV, the networks are not going to pick up the pace. In all I have read, I have not seen anything encouraging in this area.
I have to agree with Chris here. Until I can hook up my cable box and get a good selection of HD programing, I just can't see it really taking off. I shouldn't have to climb out on the roof to put an ol' outdoor antenna up to get some HD programs; it is the 21st century for gods sake! Especially the networks! :thumbsdown: I refuse to watch crap, even if its good looking crap. :D

Atho

Agent
Hmmmmm have to disagree with you all. HD is coming.....and not everyone upgrades their sets every 3-5 or so years...

I'm purchasing a new TV this weekend. And it's a widescreen. You all say that the sony shows widescreen, whcih is true. But what happens in 5 or so years when HD has lots of channels, and they're broadcasted in widescreen format? You'll get lovely picture with nice black bars.

Just grab a Toshiba HDTV widescreen RPTV. You wont' regret it.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I just bought a Sony 32XBR450 from the sony outlet store.

Circuit shitty has it on sale for $1999

I bought mine $1049

hehehehehehheheheheh

got the HD1000 they advertise for $899 on sale for $499

HD TV for a little over $1500

Well thats a no-brainer

Jamson Wu

Auditioning
Hey Grant, which sony outlet did you go to for the HDTV STB? 499 is pretty good, i might consider getting one now if its still available. I live in the bay area as well.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
The one in Tracy off 205.

They had a 'tower' of them 2 weeks ago.

They should have some left

good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508