What's new

Sony Officially Announce the 2018.5 OLED A9F and LCD/LED Z9F TVs (1 Viewer)

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
Here's part 2 that starts with the Z9F and then goes into more information on both new series, the A9F OLED and Z9F LCD/LED, like the new AutoCal, Netflix calibrated mode and more.

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
I've been posting select videos from Sony's Press Conference on my new Youtube Channel and this is the last one I'll bring to everyone's attention. So if you want to see more check out the channel as I'll post new videos every day or two.

Here's a very interesting presentation from Mr. Bill Baggelaar, Sony Pictures, SVP of Technologies for Pre and Post Production Technologies tells the story of the Sony's quest "Lens to Living room" creation of the new Master Series A9F OLED and Z9F LCD/LED TVs.

Last edited:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey Robert,

Glad to see you here in the forum. I don’t come to this section that often and was pleased to see you've been here for some time. I recall seeing your posts on that other forum. :)

I find myself in need of a new TV, my Panasonic TC-P65VT30 from December 2011 has died. I want to try to have it repaired to use in another room ( might be the power supply) , and replace it in my main HT room with an OLED.

When I learned that Sony went with OLED that was when I got interested. I’m on the fast track to get myself educated before making a purchase. Prior, I had seen the LG OLED’s at Best Buy when I casually looked at them. They do have impressive image quality from the demo loops they played.

Since I’m in need of a new set, I went to my local Best Buy to see the new Sony and LG models. I saw the Sony A8F, A1E and the LG C7 and C8. The Sony’s just looked better to me. But I wondered about the TV settings and if the Sony demo models was set to vivid mode! I was watching a scene from Gravity when Sandra Bullock is floating free in orbit and you see the Earth. The clouds and details on Earth just looked sharper on the Sony’s.

I’d be curious about what you think. I would think if both the Sony and LG are calibrated to the same specifications, they should look similar. And then it’s a matter of price and features.

My inclination is Sony as they’ve got the longer track record of consumer electronics, as far as I know anyway. Maybe in Korea LG and Samsung are equal. And I thought the Sony’s processing of the image was more impressive. But I’m wondering if the images are over cooked to impress.

My plan is to audition the two brands again, and to wait for the A9F. If the Sony is the way to go, my thinking is the A9F would be a nice set for my first OLED. Just have to get around that kick-stand design.

I’m a plasma guy so I figured the OLED is the only way to go from here on with Plasma no longer being made.

Thanks! And I’ll check out the YouTube videos.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I’ve been doing more reasearch on the A9F OLED. From what I can see, there is a 55” and 65” option. But I haven’t seen Sony release any information if they’d do a 75-77” version. Anyone hear anything about that? Thanks.

I’m really liking what Sony is calling their Master Series that will accurately display what the creators intended.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Robert. Maybe Sony feels the sizes over 65 are just too expensive for the market. Maybe if one wants a 77”, then I’ll have to consider LG. But I like what Sony is doing with the image processing.

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
Check out this video I just posted on our YouTube Channel.

It came from our Sony dealer portal and was just added yesterday. Although it's a promotional video it explains Sony's planning and position on the new Master Series TVs.

Last edited:

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Hey Robert to your knowledge is there any kind of earthquake strap or any kind of bracket to help keep the Sony XBR55A9F from sliding off the tv stand or being tipped over? Because of cats or an earthquake?

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member

Darn it Vincent!! I had my Christmas present to myself all picked out...then your review hits:(

EDIT: It sounds like a fantastic set, but the blooming would distract me I think. I want a set that does HDR bright as the sun, but without blooming.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks