Sony NS999ES Report

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bryan Guth, Nov 6, 2002.

1. Bryan Guth

Bryan Guth Agent

I was eagerly anticipating the arrival of the new Sony DVP-NS999ES, especially since it's predecessor won countless accolades from the pros and happy HT consumers. Imagine my surprise when I discovered I preferred my current Toshiba SD5700 (which I paid approx. $220 for) to this pricey (but seemingly worthwhile) unit. It's not that the player was bad--far from it. It's just that the image quality, including sharpness, contrast, and progressive scan ability, couldn't compare to the Toshiba. I have been looking for a benchmark universal player in this price range, but for me, this was not it. Sony's multitude of picture adjustment options helped somewhat, but at this price level, I expect to be wowed, and, to put it simply, I wasn't. This player did sound wonderful for redbook CD's and SACD. Looks like I'm going to have to audtion the up and comers from Integra, Marantz, and Yamaha. I audio tested the Marantz DV-8300 and it was absolutely stunning!
    I urge anyone considering this DVD player to do so serious A-B testing with "lesser" units. You may be as surprised as I was!

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Bryan, very interesting. Another Bryan on this forum was very critical of the video quality offered by the 'NS999ES recently. Do a search to read his comments. On the other hand, some members have reported being very impressed with the video quality. A search should yield those comments too.

3. Bryan Guth

Bryan Guth Agent

Thanks! I came across those posts earlier and found them interesting. I really wanted to love this unit, and now I kind of wish I had a 9000ES on hand to compare. Then again, I wish I had enough $$$ to afford the Arcam DV27! I have narrowed down the next list of options to new models from Integra and Marantz (and possible Onkyo, but I have an Integra receiver and like the idea of a "match"). Any other suggestions you have would be welcome. I, like most other, want a machine that can do it all, and very well. If I had to pick a top priority, it would be a smooth, detailed, dimensional picture.

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Bryan, no problem. You mentioned the Yamaha universal player in your first post. I'd still consider that one if I were you.

As you may be aware, the Marantz '8300 is based on the Pioneer Elite DV-47A, though Marantz reworked the audio section. Still, the '8300 has gotten mixed reviews here. Do a search, if you haven't already.

5. Charles Gurganus

Charles Gurganus Supporting Actor

Most comparisons I've seen from owners of both the 9000es and 999es say the 999es video is better.

Bryan, are you sure you used the same TV settings for both DVD players? I sure don't want to spend $900 for a DVD player if the video is no better (or worse) than a $220 player. It sounds like the auido is great and that will be my main focus but if my Panasonic a110 has a better picture (and it is 4 or 5 years old) than the 999es I would be ticked off.

I don't want to order this from onecall (thinking about using 6 month payment option) if there is some doubt. I could go and order from JandR and maybe get the price match (they do have a 30 day return policy) but they don't have a 6 month pay option (that I am aware of anyway).

6. Bob Saylor

Bob Saylor Stunt Coordinator

Check out the large post at the AVS forum. It seems all the reviewers there are very happy with the 999.

7. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

8. Bryan Guth

Bryan Guth Agent

Hey guys--there are indeed lots of people saying great things about he 999, and I encourage anyone who is interested to test it for themselves. I didn't go into too much detail about the audio quality of the 999, but it did rock. Music was rich, detailed, full and had a "you are there" quality that immerses you in the sound. The Toshiba player resolved more difficult images and, to my eye and on my display (a Toshiba 65HX81) had a slightly more refined resolution of background details. Let me put it this way: if this was my first foray into DVD players, I would be pleased as punch with this unit. Having audioned several players of late, I can't say with conviction that the 999 blew me away. All said IMHO, of course! By the way, I found the 999's interlaced performance to be a hair better than the progressive scan!

9. Bob Saylor

Bob Saylor Stunt Coordinator

Let us know what you find out Lee