Sony NS755V

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul cbc, Jan 26, 2003.

1. Paul cbc

Paul cbc Stunt Coordinator

Hello and happy super bowl day to all:

I am considering this player- 50/50 HT and audio. How well does it do with video? What is it's performance with regular cd and sacd? Anyone who has this player and time to share their thoughts it is greatly appreciated.

thank you,
    paul[​IMG]

2. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

Paul, most people say DVD players are almost identical, but this player like the 715 is real crap in the Video area by my standards. Sony always has a soft edge and combs all the freaking time. The CD and SACD side are actually pretty good. That's my take.

3. Paul cbc

Adil,

Thanks for your response. I would like a player that is good on the video side and also has Quality) cd & sacd playback. I will be using this with a non-HDTV set, if that is helpfull. If any folks have some ideas, I would appreciate it.

Thanks again for your thoughts,
    paul[​IMG]

4. Eujin

Eujin Supporting Actor

Paul,

Since you're using the player on a non-HDTV set, I wouldn't worry too much about Adil's reference to "combing"--this is problem that occurs on progressive scan playback of video based material. On a non-progressive display, you'd probably be fine. If your budget allows, I'd suggest getting a separate player for CD playback. The 755 does pretty nicely on SACD, but it's CD performance leaves quite a bit to be desired. You could do a lot better on CD playback with any number of used CD players around the $150 price range. Alternatively, you could get the 755 modified at a later date for better audio performance.

5. Paul cbc

Eujin,

Thanks for your reply. I would like to stay with one player for dvd,cd,sacd. Not the end of the world to go with 2 but.. What do folks think about the Phillips 963SA? This would be stretching the budget a bit, but still might be right around the cost of 2 players. I've read a few things but nothing definitive. Any other suggestions welcome.

Thanks again,
    paul

6. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

I have the 755 and have been very pleased with it as a DVD, SACD, and CD player. I also have a non-progressive display, so progressive scan is not a factor with me, either.

7. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

I missed the reference and assumed you had a HDTV. I'll revise my comments a bit.
    The interlace playback is typical of most dvd player's which is good.
    It should be good for SACD which is a better source to begin w/.
    The CD should probably be hooked up to your receiver w/ a digital cable depending on your receiver.

8. Eujin

Eujin Supporting Actor

Paul,

I think the jury's still out on the 963SA because not enough people in North America have gotten their hands on one yet. I've heard that J&R has started selling the units, but that deliveries have been delayed until March because of a backlog of orders. One of the main attractions of the 963SA is its progressive scan capabilities--something that you won't benefit from without a HDTV. On the other hand, the 963SA will upsample CDs which would, in theory at least, help to improve redbook performance. However, I've read in a number of posts on Audio Asylum that the parts that have gone into the 963SA aren't what Philips initially indicated. For one thing, Philips said that the 963SA would get a toroidal transformer for the power supply--this has turned out not to be the case. This is not first-hand experience on my part, mind you--I'm just reporting what has been said about this player.

You may be just as well served by the Sony 755p. If you can wait maybe a month or two, there'll be more hard info on the performance of the 963SA. Use the time to save a little more money in order to stretch your budget a bit and you'll have more options then. Good luck!

9. Chris_Eff

Chris_Eff Stunt Coordinator

I have the 755 and I am quite pleased with it. You have to make sure that it is set up right to avoid the areas people complain about. The video is good; very good in interlaced and alright in prog. Just make sure that you have the digital enhancement off. With it off I can not find the combing and other problems people complain about, however with it on terrible. The interlaced picture is very good and you should be very pleased, as it rates higher than the panny's in interlaced.
    As for playing cd, change the player to slow in the audio compared to sharp (default). Sacd is great and the limited bass management helps if you like your sub to contibute to the sound more.

10. Paul cbc

Marty, Adil, Eujin, Chris-

Thank you all for your replies.[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Looks like I might be allright with this player. Seeing as it is to be paired with a non HDTV set, I don't want to get too carried away-just something that looks and sounds pretty good.

I appreciate all the input!
    Take it easy,
    paul

11. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin
    I may be a bit late but I have this player too. I didn't notice a whole lot of difference in the video between this and my previous one - a Sony S300 - but I thought that one had excellent video too. I was just a little disappointed that there wasn't a knock-you-out-of your-socks, or whatever, improvement.

The main difference is that, so far, this player can play CD-R's whereas my previous player had a lot of trouble with them. SACD sounds fine but this is the only SACD player I've ever heard so I couldn't compare it to anything.

12. Paul cbc

Marvin,

Thanks for chiming in. I don't have anything to compare this player to as it will be my first dvd player. Which means I know nothing(no suprise!). Again just looking for something solid on both video and audio. Appreciate the tip on the cdr's. I have quite a few and would be bummed if the unit I bought failed to play these. Just out of curiosity, what receiver/pre-peo setup are you using your ns755p with?

Thanks again,
    paul

13. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin
    Paul,
    I have a Denon 2700 (I have a Parasound amp for the f/l/r channels).
    I think most current DVD players can handle CD-Rs but a lot of the older ones couldn't. Actually, now I use a CD-recorder for my primary CD player so I use this one almost exclusively for DVD and SACD playback.

14. Eujin

Eujin Supporting Actor

Paul,

Here's a link to a professional review of the 755. It gets a bit bogged down in connection options and details in the middle, but is pretty useful nonetheless. If this is your first player, it seems like you've found a winner. You could certainly do a lot worse.

http://www.goodsound.com/equipment/sony_dvpns755v.htm

Enjoy!

15. Paul cbc

Marvin, Eujin,

Thanks for the info. The review sounds pretty positive. Probably a couple weeks off, but thinking I'll go with this player, keeping my eyes open in the meantime. I think I can live with the bass management set-up. Marvin, Chris: What are your experiences with the bass management?

I really appreciate everyone's help on this,
    paul

16. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin
    Paul,
    I have full range front speakers so when I set up the DVD player, I selected "large" fronts which means no sound is directed to the subwoofer. Since the speakers go down to about 35hz, I'm probably not missing much. I was planning on redefining my speakers to small to see how it sounds with the subwoofer but haven't gotten around to it. This applies only to SACD listening anyway. For normal CD and DVD listening, my receiver takes care of the bass management.

17. Paul cbc

Marvin,

Got ya. I guess it comes down to what speakers you have and then tinkering with the settings to where it sounds the best. More food for thought.

Thanks again!
    paul

18. Chris_Eff

Chris_Eff Stunt Coordinator

I have full range fronts as well that go to 40hrz. I tinkered with both the large and small front speaker settings. I liked the way the small setting sounded better cause i like strong bass. However I have my speakers set to large on my reciever for movies to get better range plus the movies have the LFE track. For both settings I have the rest of my speakers set to small. This one comes down to personal taste, but it is nice to have the options.

19. Paul cbc

Chris,

Thanks for the input. Definitely nice to have the options for bass management as each persons speakers/tastes are bound to be different.

Thanks again!
    paul

20. Jon-C

Jon-C Stunt Coordinator

Does the picture appear soft during interlaced playback?