What's new

Sony NS755V now listed at 249.99 at Crutchfield! (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Marvin, I hadn't seen this posted yet. You posted it in the right place. Thanks for the info.

That was a quick price drop. It can't be a result of Sony discontinuing the 'NS755V already. I'm guessing that Sony dropped the price just to be competitive. DVD player prices are continuing to go down. Although the 'NS755V offers both progressive-scan output and SACD playback, $300 is on the high side for a player that is essentially entry-level. Now I wonder what discount dealers like Oade Bros., J&R Music World, and OneCall will sell it for.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the info. Now I will wait and see if local dealers will follow with the lower price when they get any of these in stock.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
I had a pre-order with them for this item and they were kind enough to give me the new price without making me cancel it and resubmit it, so I was able to keep my $20 off new customer referral discount. That, along with free shipping, made the total come out to 229.99. Pretty good, I'd say.

JimD

Auditioning
I can't see where it plays DVD-A dts cd's, +rw +r dvd's? does it? Also, does this player have the Chroma bug is anyone aware of?

Thanks,

Jim

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
It definitely won't play DVD-A discs. I've read some posts where people said it does have the Chroma bug, while others have said they haven't noticed it.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jim, the 'NS755V will play DTS CDs. Most every CD and DVD player will. However, no Sony DVD players play DVD-Audio discs. Sony is committed to SACD as a high-resolution format. After all, Sony co-developed the SACD format with Philips, so Sony has no interest in DVD-Audio at this point. Finally, the 'NS755V probably shows the chroma bug. Every progressive-scan player Sony has released has shown it.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I just noticed that Crutchfield is now showing that this item will be available on 9/20, a two week delay from the previous availability date. What is the problem with Sony that they can't have a product available when they say they will.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
I noticed the date slip too. Aaargh!

Well, at least those 4 Stones SACDs I have on order are hybrids. I have to check on the Beethoven and Handel SACDs I ordered.

Maybe the price will drop again before this thing finally ships.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Marty and Marvin, frankly, I am surprised that Crutchfield can even give a date when they expect a new Sony product to arrive. That's a relative new feature on crutchfield.com. In the past, when I called Crutchfield looking for an ETA on a new product, I was told that they had no idea when it would be in. They said Sony didn't provide them with an ETA.

Peter Jessee

Stunt Coordinator
I bought one on Friday from a local store, Video Only, for $239.99. Both Good Guys and Magnolia here in Beaverton had it in stock as well. I don't know why Crutchfield can't get them.

I plugged in the cables from my old player and tried out Terminator 2 last night, after a quick touch-up with AVIA on my 53HS10 (The settings were almost identical to my old Sony 560D). My first impression: progressive scan is a big improvement over my old interlaced deck. I don't have any of the classic "Find the Chroma Bug" disks, and frankly, don't want to start looking for it, either. If someone wants to say this player has it, don't tell me and we'll both be happy!

I have to seriously work to get the SACD outputs hooked up to the receiver, so I haven't done that yet. I'll post again when I can report on CD and SACD sound quality.

Peter

Weldon

Auditioning
I'm looking forward to getting your review of the SACD performance. I'm trying to decide on this player or upgrading to the C555ES. I'm not sure if they are close enough to hear the difference on my low-mid range system.

Sony STR-DE935
Infinity IL-50 Mains
Infinity IL-36C Center
Infinity Reference 2000.3 Surrounds

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
The two local dealers that carry Sony are having a problem getting any of this model. I like to order locally, just to avoid any repair hassles during the warranty period. If they don't get this in stock soon, I might try J and R or Oade Bros.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks