What's new

Sony NS500V or Panasonic RP62? (1 Viewer)

Joe_Gr

Auditioning
I'm going to get a DVD player soon and need some advice. Cruthfield has both the Sony NS500V and the Panasonic RP62 for $179.99. I will not need the progressive scan mode and do not plan on getting a television anytime soon to take advantage of this. Which one has the best video quality for my 4:3 television?

Thanks,
Joe_Gr

Gui A

Supporting Actor
I have the models which are one step below the ones you're looking at, so maybe my comments won't be 100% accurate to those models, but they'll be close.

I have a 4x3, and found the anamorphic downconversion of the Panasonic RP32 to be too harsh, and prone to rough edges on diagonals. The Sony 400 had a softer picture, which I personally preferred. Also, the Panasonic had colour bleeding in the colour bar test, and this was using a compenent connection. However, the Sony suffers from the Chroma bug.

Also, the Panasonic's remote control has sharp corners and small buttons. The Sony's was nicer to hold, and buttons were a bit bigger.

If you can, see if the store has a 30 day warranty. I took both models home for about 3 weeks, and played with them. That's really the best way to be satisfied with your purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks