Sony NS500V or Panasonic RP62?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joe_Gr, Aug 27, 2002.

1. Joe_Gr

Joe_Gr Auditioning

I'm going to get a DVD player soon and need some advice. Cruthfield has both the Sony NS500V and the Panasonic RP62 for $179.99. I will not need the progressive scan mode and do not plan on getting a television anytime soon to take advantage of this. Which one has the best video quality for my 4:3 television?

Thanks,
    Joe_Gr

2. Gui A

Gui A Supporting Actor

I have the models which are one step below the ones you're looking at, so maybe my comments won't be 100% accurate to those models, but they'll be close.

I have a 4x3, and found the anamorphic downconversion of the Panasonic RP32 to be too harsh, and prone to rough edges on diagonals. The Sony 400 had a softer picture, which I personally preferred. Also, the Panasonic had colour bleeding in the colour bar test, and this was using a compenent connection. However, the Sony suffers from the Chroma bug.

Also, the Panasonic's remote control has sharp corners and small buttons. The Sony's was nicer to hold, and buttons were a bit bigger.

If you can, see if the store has a 30 day warranty. I took both models home for about 3 weeks, and played with them. That's really the best way to be satisfied with your purchase.