1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Sony NS500

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg Krewet, May 20, 2002.

1. Greg Krewet

Greg Krewet Stunt Coordinator
    Supporter

I am interested in the Sony NS500 primarily as a CD player with SACD capabilities and as backup for my Panasonic DVD player. Does anyone using this model have any thoughts on it. I notice that Circuit City has it down to $220 which seems low. Is this unit closing out to be replaced by an newer unit? Any comments or thoughts

concerning this model would be appreciated. I have a modest

DD5.1 surround sytem due to my living in a small apartment, if that would have any bearing on your comments.

Best

Greg

2. Matthew Anker

Matthew Anker Stunt Coordinator

Stay away from the NS500V. You can buy a CE775 for $179 at some stores and have a much better player. The NS500V is cheaply built, has a switching power supply, and has all of the audio fuctions integrated into one DAC chip. I've got one that I'm prototyping for modification, and I can even phase the switching noise coming from that power supply yet. You've been warned!
    -Matthew Anker
    www.SACDmods.com