Sony NS-700p going head-to-head with my RP56

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ron-P, Oct 16, 2001.

1. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    I just got back from Best Buy and picked up the Sony NS-700p Progressive Player. I bought the Panny RP56 a few days ago.
    Over the next few days I plan on doing some head-to-head combat between the two and see who becomes the victor.
    I would like to take ideas, suggestions on what to look for, watch-out for, test and so forth.
    One feature I already miss on the RP56 is no ability to select interlaced/progressive via the remote, the Sony has that feature. I did not think it would be missed, but it is.
    I ran the SB "Desperado" thru the RP56 lastnight and it looked, sounded and played perfectly. It goes in the Sony next.
    Peace Out~ [​IMG]
    ------------------
    http://home.earthlink.net/~peregrinefalcon

2. Jim A. Banville

Jim A. Banville Supporting Actor

"One feature I already miss on the RP56 is no ability to select interlaced/progressive via the remote, the Sony has that feature. I did not think it would be missed, but it is."
    Um... you miss the inability to toggle 480p/480i via the remote?
    Am I missing something? [​IMG]
    Jim

3. PS Nystrom

PS Nystrom Second Unit

These are the two players I'm deciding between right now so please post your thoughts. I keep hearing the Panasonic is the better player, but the Sony is just so pretty! I can't make up my mind.
    Pieter
    ------------------
    BoomRoom updated Oct 15

4. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

The RP56 has certainly peaked my interest, so I'm curious to hear about the results. I'm also interested in the new Toshiba 4700/5700, but there have been no reviews just yet on these models.
    Seeing as how I don't own a progressive scan TV, how is the RP56 in interlaced?
    Ron

5. PaulKH

PaulKH Second Unit

Ron Reda, see my test results post.

6. PaulKH

PaulKH Second Unit

Ron-P - I'd be interested in knowing how you feel the contrast, color saturation and difference between progressive and interlace outputs are on each unit alone and comparing the two.
    I'd also be interested in knowing if the Sony has any aspect control on progressive output or if AT LEAST you can change from progressive to interlace ON THE REMOTE and not have to go to the player itself like the RP56 requires.
    I know the RP56 doesn't have the chroma bug but does have red flicker (only one instance I could find) on progressive, so I'll be interested to hear if you find same on the Sony!
    I was at Best Buy tonight returning my RP56 and almost picked up the Sony to do the other half of your test [​IMG].
    I also saw the Toshiba 3750 at Best Buy (cheap!) and wondered why hardly anyone talks about this unit... I know nothing about it and of course Toshiba doesn't even mention it on their WORTHLESS web site.

7. Kwang Suh

Kwang Suh Supporting Actor

8. Matthew Long

Matthew Long Extra

Hey Ron.
    I tested the exact same 2 units. What it all comes down to for me is picture quality, and comparing the exact same frame from a movie (Toy story 2 title) revealed that the sony model had ugly artifacting and had a hard time with the blue colors around the borders of the logo (this with all the "picture enhancement" features turned off) Its picture has a lot of video noise and weird artifacting. I really wanted to like the unit because it looked cool and had a video EQ that lets you adjust the brightness on the player. This feature is right up my alley because Ive done the Herman TLV manuever on my set so I could use just a tad brighter black level.
    The panny's progressive scan picture is _tight_. Gorgeous low noise picture. Very clean and artifact free. It also seems to handle very blue scenes surprisingly well.Bad ergonomics,not as many cool features and not as cool looking as the sony but again, its the picture that matters with a dvd player for me so I kept the panny and am very happy.
    ------------------
    Tosh TW56X81 HDTV
    Panasonic RP56 prog scan
    Arcam Diva AVR100
    Arcam Diva P85 power amp
    Arcam alpha 7se cd player
    Paradigm ref studio 60(bi-amped and wired)
    Paradigm montior 7 surrounds.

9. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Matthew, I'm confused. After reading Ron's comparison review posted this morning, particularly highlighting a "flicker bug" in the RP56 that noted the blue color, I was surprised to read your comments on this thread. Is there an adjustment on the Panny that he may have missed?
    Well, this just confirms that it's not an exact science, and that people have different visual perceptions. I'll have to find a dealer that carries both brands and will set up a side-by-side comparison.

10. PaulKH

PaulKH Second Unit

Hank - the RP56 progressive picture is impressive, if having a bit too high contrast (not adjustable), and the flicker problem won't occur with much material (only cartoons have red that saturated perhaps??).
    So some may look at the RP56 and never be concerned about those two issues.
    For the money it's a great player.

11. Matthew Long

Matthew Long Extra

Yea, that is odd. I A-B compared these 2 units excessivlly, looking for some reason to keep the Sony because I liked its features. The comparisons were done both via using the same input and switching, and also through seperate inputs and jumping back and forth. The sony image clearly had an excessive amount of "video crud"...splotchy edges and a JPEG compression look to it. The Panny was very clean, and heads and tails above the Toshiba 5109 I previously had (which I loved btw)
    The Panasonic had, hands down, the cleanest most flaw free image of the 2 on my set up. It may have a flicker bug, but directly comparing the 2 showed it still had the best image. The details were very clear and artifact free.This is on a dialed in Toshiba 56 inch HD using component ins directly into the set. I really wished I had had a camera to take a shot or 2 when I had both players.
    After I had decided on keeping the Panny, I later found out that it had the new Sage chipset, which I thought was pretty cool. Its a great little player.
    ------------------
    Tosh TW56X81 HDTV
    Panasonic RP56 prog scan
    Arcam Diva AVR100
    Arcam Diva P85 power amp
    Arcam alpha 7se cd player
    Paradigm ref studio 60(bi-amped and wired)
    Paradigm montior 7 surrounds.

12. Yoon Lee

Yoon Lee Stunt Coordinator

So, is layer change totally noticible on both machine? My Sony 560D took half a sec to sec for layer change while my friend's 550D took less than that. I wonder where those two player fall into.